"Collections" at work....

NYCDiane

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else have this issue?? It seems that every time I turn around, someone at work is taking up a "collection" for something. It's ridiculous. The only one I contributed to was a company-sponsored collection for Toys for Tots. Other than that, I don't contribute to all the b'days and all the other stuff. I added it up and had I donated to every collection this month, I would have been out at least $50 --- and I don't even know any of the people they were collecting for! (I don't work in a small office). Last year, I remember "donating" $5 for a birthday gift (cash) to a co-worker that I did know. Well, I see the card on his desk and I look at it and my name was not included! :mad:

Does anyone else have this issue?? It seems that every time I turn around, someone at work is taking up a "collection" for something. It's ridiculous. The only one I contributed to was a company-sponsored collection for Toys for Tots. Other than that, I don't contribute to all the b'days and all the other stuff. I added it up and had I donated to every collection this month, I would have been out at least $50 --- and I don't even know any of the people they were collecting for! (I don't work in a small office). Last year, I remember "donating" $5 for a birthday gift (cash) to a co-worker that I did know. Well, I see the card on his desk and I look at it and my name was not included! :mad:

I am also getting disgusted with all the "legal fundraising" i.e. United Way, UPAF, and the hospitals foundations. Yee Hah! Then - people are putting out papmpered chef flyers, tastefully simple party invites, etc. UGGH!!! I agree - we do have the opportunity to say no, but the reality is - that type of activity is against corporate policy - but the managers choose not to enforce certain activities for certian people.

I will contribute to a floral arrangement if "funeral" flowers are being purchased by the department for the death of a coworker's parent. We also, in our department took up a decent collection after a coworker died of a heart attack. In a rare circumstance - I will contribute to something else.

yeah, i don't do the cards and such anymore. i feel i don't have to and i will not feel guilty not doing it. i don't cry pitty me and don't expect anyone else to cry it to me.

Oh, don't you just love all those stupid flyers that are posted all over the bulletin boards or are all over the cafeteria tables??? Or the Tupperware sales? ANNOYING.....

IMHO, there should be NO solicitation at work. NONE.

The company should have its own fund for funeral arrangements and the like. Co-workers shouldn't be asked or made to feel they "have to" give money for something. I know that I just can't afford to give away $5 here or there. I just can't do it. Yet, when I decline, I look like a "cheapskate" or whatever.

I work in a small office. All of us contribute for birthdays, weddings, funerals, etc. No one seems to mind at all. :confused3

I work for a public school. I realize that there is no budget to pay for gifts, parties, etc., but I feel like I'm being asked for money every time I turn around. First, the "social committee" asked everyone for money ($30 for teachers, $15 for support staff) to cover monthly lunches. But those lunches are pot-lucks. People even sign up for plates, forks, etc. so what's left to buy? Then they plan a Holiday Party at someone's home and ask for $15 to cover the food. Our union had a Holiday Party that cost $10. The school secretary plans an annual luncheon where the support staff provides lunch for the teachers. She hounded us each for $10 last year. We weren't involved in the planning and never agreed to buy lunch for the teachers out of our pockets! With my husband job-hunting right now, I chose not to pay any of these fees or attend any of these parties.

I work in a small office. All of us contribute for birthdays, weddings, funerals, etc. No one seems to mind at all. :confused3

Trust me, there are people in your office (and every office) who DO mind but will contribute even when they can't afford it so as not to look like the odd one out or the cheapskate. It's even worse in a small office becuase then you "have to" since there are only a handful of people.

I don't agree with office "collections" or anything like that. I'm going to work to EARN money to support my family, not to give money every time I turn around for this b'day, that b'day, this one is sick, that one had a car accident, etc. I don't expect it done for me and I don't want to do it for anyone else.

I work for a public school. I realize that there is no budget to pay for gifts, parties, etc., but I feel like I'm being asked for money every time I turn around. First, the "social committee" asked everyone for money ($30 for teachers, $15 for support staff) to cover monthly lunches. But those lunches are pot-lucks. People even sign up for plates, forks, etc. so what's left to buy? Then they plan a Holiday Party at someone's home and ask for $15 to cover the food. Our union had a Holiday Party that cost $10. The school secretary plans an annual luncheon where the support staff provides lunch for the teachers. She hounded us each for $10 last year. We weren't involved in the planning and never agreed to buy lunch for the teachers out of our pockets! With my husband job-hunting right now, I chose not to pay any of these fees or attend any of these parties.

That is absurd! I don't blame you for not paying or attending. Some people just can't understand that other families are in bad financial situations and can't afford the $5, $10, $15 every time you turn around.

BTW, the "social committee" sounds like they have a great scam going on.... having a "pot luck" yet still collecting $35 per person to host these lunches. LOL!

I tried to have a collection this year in my small office instead of an office grab bag for Christmas (there are 10 of us total). Since we are all lucky enough to have jobs, our health, homes, food, etc., I thought it would be nice to donate the money that we would spend on each other to adopt a family for the holidays. None of us need gifts.

I was told that I was a grinch, and that I was taking all of the fun out of the holiday. And these are all grown adults.:sad2:

Trust me, there are people in your office (and every office) who DO mind but will contribute even when they can't afford it so as not to look like the odd one out or the cheapskate. It's even worse in a small office becuase then you "have to" since there are only a handful of people.

I don't agree with office "collections" or anything like that. I'm going to work to EARN money to support my family, not to give money every time I turn around for this b'day, that b'day, this one is sick, that one had a car accident, etc. I don't expect it done for me and I don't want to do it for anyone else.

Agreed :thumbsup2 I work in a small office of 8 people (2 of the 8 are the boss & his wife). Constant collections for b-days are annoying, but the worst is collecting to present our very wealthy boss with $300 birthday & Christmas gifts. I have voiced my dissent - mainly because we haven't received raises in two years, but we need to keep buying carriage rides through Central Park, cases of wine or meals at Tavern on the Green in NYC :mad:

Seems we are always having a collection for someone! We have 2 employees who have been out since Sept due to different illnesses. One of them seems to have a "fundraiser" every month. Then we have volunteers that come in (it is a school) so the school is always "asking" in a nice way for everyone to "chip" in to pay for these "volunteers" lunch everyday! Then there is the usual holiday "chip in"....
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Grinch, but there is only so much I can afford. Maybe I should start one for myself.... the "Chip in for me since I cannot afford this anymore fund" ;)

I don't mind them. We budget for some nickle and diming through the year. I guess that I wouldn't ever complain about contributing to funeral arangements. Beats the hell out of being the one who needs them.

This is one of the reasons that pushed me over the edge when deciding on being a SAHM. After daycare (this was only with one) and taxes I would only make about 500/month.

It seemed there was always something we didn't 'have' to pitch in for, but you know how that goes...it probably was 25 a month on average.

I just collected for bosses' Christmas gifts. That is the ONLY collection that we do regularly (there is an OCCASSIONAL collection for new baby or get well). I can see where some people would get annoyed but I honestly do it to be helpful. I was very annoyed with the people who would not even offer to bring in the CARD when I was doing EVERYTHING else - the shopping, the wrapping, etc.

Around this office, Christmas gifts are a way of saying 'Thank you' for what our boss does for us. If someone does not feel the need - PLEASE do not contribute.

I've already decided to do something on my own next year due to the struggle I had getting anyone to do anything. Makes me think they'll be happier just not doing anything. So I can just do something from myself.

If you do participate please remember to be grateful to the person who is doing all the work when all you have to do is fork over a few bucks!

I've got about 100 people in my office. A few times a year, we collect for a "social fund." We use the money for birthday cards, funeral and get well flowers, and things for the department like cake for a picnic at the end of the school year and food for big department meetings. I work for a college so there is no fund for these things.

This is how we do it--we put a flyer in everyone's mailbox. People can contribute or not--the money comes to me and I don't keep track of who gave what and I would never hound anyone for money and no one feels pressured to contribute.

Aside from the occasional co-worker posting a girl scout cookie flier or sandwich sign-up on their cube... the only thing I've encountered is the sporadic "dress down friday" for charity. And that's completely voluntary when they do happen.

I work for a small office. The office pays for lunch every Friday and for a birthday cake for everyone's birthday. There's never been a collection for anything. If someone has a kid selling something they put it in the kitchen and its up to each person whether or not they want to buy. The only other thing we do is "Secret Santa" which is completely voluntary.

My company doesn't allow you to walk around and ASK for donations or purchases, but they do allow you to leave a flyer/brochure in the break rooms and cafeteria with your contact info, so if people want to look at it while they're on their own time and contact you directly for a purchase/donation, that's fine. I love it and think it's the best way to handle it. People can still sell stuff/collect donations/buy stuff/donate but it doesn't anoy the heck out of people that aren't interested. Best of both worlds.

As for gifts, each division handles that on their own, so I only know what my division is. Since we are a division of three people, we just go in halves on a gift for b-days and we each get the other two an Xmas gift. We cap the amount at $25 so it's pretty easy to budget.

I don't work anymore, but I remember hating. Once a co-worker hounded me for my blood (literally) until I broke down in tears. I enjoyed being friendly with my co-workers, and some became true friends, but I was mainly there to work and earn money.

Years ago, when we lived in Key Largo, my husband was bullied into contributing to gift baskets for the needy, then his place of work had trouble actually finding these needy people, so we gave one to our unemployed friends who really could have bought their own turkey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter