coin wrappers

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
Hi guys. I've been doing the coin jar thing (I've collected a lot-maby enough for one night hotel?) and now I want to wrap the coins to take them to the bank, but I have no idea where to get the coin wrappers. Anybody have suggestions.

At my bank you do not have to wrap them. I just bring in the loose coins and they run them through the maching and give you your total. It's amazing how those coins add up.

Your bank will give you the wrappers, even if they cant wrap them for you. Not all banks/branches will sort/wrap for you, but will still give you the wrappers.

:D

I'll try at the bank. After I wrap them, will most banks take them?

Yes, I think all banks have to take them. But I do recall one bank asking me to write my account number on the wrappers once. I guess they wanted to be able to take money out of my account if I was missing a coin or two. So you may want to take them to your own bank and write your account number on the wrappers before you fill them, since it's hard to do afterward.

The wrappers are also very cheap at places like Walmart. Saw a lady using the coinstar at the grocery store the other day. Sometimes in the middle of wrapping, that sounds pretty good too.

my credit union won't give out wrappers, so we buy them from staples/office max. we also have to write our account number on each wrapper, but it's not that big of a deal.

Forgive me if I am missing something but why go through the time and effort of wrapping if you do not have to? Is there a reason you cannot bring the coins in unwrapped? Just curious.

Howdy,

Just a few thoughts....

1) Not all banks will give out wrappers.
2) Not all banks accept loose coins
3) Most of the 1 & 2 are the big corporate giants....I'd imagine small town banks where you know everyone and everyone knows you would be more accomodating.
4) Any place that sells the 'automated' sorting machines probably sells wrappers. Wal-Mart and the ilk come to mind.
5) Coinstar and its ilk are a ripoff in terms of the amount they charge compared to wrapping your own. Still, they're alot easier when you have a couple hundred in pennies. ;)
6) If you are friendly with a local convenience/mom & pop store, they might be more than happy to buy your coins.

Hope this helps,
Joe

All the banks in my town are behemoths and therefore have no customer service to speak of. I don't currently have an account in any of them. I hope they'll take the rolled coins anyway.

Originally posted by chip1
Forgive me if I am missing something but why go through the time and effort of wrapping if you do not have to? Is there a reason you cannot bring the coins in unwrapped? Just curious.

Other then the reason listed in the previous post. I use coin wrapping as kinda an "educational" tool for my kids. I plan to have my kids count out & sort the coin and I will do the wrapping. I think it is "fun" to see how much $$ you have saved.

This will be our Thanksgiving Activity. I will wrap up the coins, cash them out and get Disney $$ for our trip.

Don't be surprised if the "behemoth" banks will not take your coin. Usually big banks will accept coin only from customers with account numbers written on the wrappers.
I would call them first.
As to the question of just bringing it into the bank unwrapped. If the bank does not have a machine to count the coin, they don't have to accept loose coin. It is very time consuming to count a lot of coin and completely inconsiderate for the customers that are behind you.

I am a bank teller for a small bank. We do give out coin wrappers. We do not take rolled coin from non-customers, and we do insist that our customers roll their own coin, and write their account number on it. The reason why we insist that customers write their account number on the coin is because sometimes the rolls end up being short money, and we have to debit their account. A couple of cents may not seem like a big deal, but the teller ends up having to take the loss, if they don't debit the customer's account. Also when you turn in your coin, do not attempt to turn it in at the drive thru. You'd be amazed at how many times we've had our drive thru tube broken, because someone would stick a bunch of rolled coin in it. If you have a lot of coin, like over $100 worth, you can ask your bank for a coin tray. This will make it easier for you to carry the coin inside the bank.

I used to work for a grocery store chain (oh, the good old days...) and I worked in the money room and customer service.

We would accept rolled change with phone numbers on the wrappers. We weigh our rolls on the produce scales, and then we weigh the rolled change.
However, one of our sister stores got ripped off by a con artist. He'd filled dime wrappers with pennies except for a dime on each end, and ended up with an extra $200 or so.
Then there was the guy with the five pound coffee tin who walked up and wanted me to count and roll his change before giving him bills for it. :eek:

I politely declined.

:D :D :D

Definitely don't do the change machine at the grocery store. I can't believe that they charge 8 8/9 cents on the dollar! My daughter and I counted all the change and placed each denomination into a sandwich baggie--then wrote the amount on the bag. I took these huge bags of change to the Disney store (early on a weekday morning when there were hardly any customers). The ladies at the counter very politely counted the change and gave me my disney dollars. From now on, every $10 I collect I visit the Disney store to get my $10. It's right across the street from where I work so the visit is no trouble.

I work for an independent community bank and we charge customers for accepting their rolled coins. I think that the charge is waived if the coin is deposited to the customer's account. For non-customers, we want their address and phone number on the rolls, with ID presented, and we charge them $.25 per roll.

We are not as concerned about a penny difference here and there, we are concerned about the people who deposit slugs with coins on the ends. It is amazing the number of people who are out to rip others off and banks are often prime targets.

We do provide wrappers to our customers and for a fee will wrap coins for large customers, but only in our main office because we only have one wrapping machine.

As for taking coins to TDS for them to wrap for you, they may have smiled while you were there, but you can be fairly certain that they were talking about you for several days after depending on the amount of money that you brought in. Our tellers don't like wrapping for the business customers either. They serve the customer with a smile and then curse them the entire time they are downstairs doing the wrapping. Just a thought for next time you might have a bundle to wrap. $10 is one thing... $100 is completely another, especially if most is in pennies and nickels.

Commerce Bank is the best! They have machines like coin star, but they don't charge a fee at all. I think they are called Penny arcades?? You do not have to have an account there.

There are a bunch where I live (central nj) and I know they are expanding into NYC. It's worth it to see if there is one near you!

They are also open on Sundays!

Originally posted by sneetch
I am a bank teller for a small bank. We do give out coin wrappers. We do not take rolled coin from non-customers, and we do insist that our customers roll their own coin, and write their account number on it. The reason why we insist that customers write their account number on the coin is because sometimes the rolls end up being short money, and we have to debit their account. A couple of cents may not seem like a big deal, but the teller ends up having to take the loss, if they don't debit the customer's account. Also when you turn in your coin, do not attempt to turn it in at the drive thru. You'd be amazed at how many times we've had our drive thru tube broken, because someone would stick a bunch of rolled coin in it. If you have a lot of coin, like over $100 worth, you can ask your bank for a coin tray. This will make it easier for you to carry the coin inside the bank.

I worked at a bank when I was going to college, it always amazed me when people would fill the tubes with rolled coins and then get this kinda glazed look when the tube gets stuck. This in spite of the sticker on the kiosk and the tubes themselves that stated send no more than two rolls of coins.

I worked for a couple of banks in the day and all had the policy that they wouldn't accept rolled coin from non customers. Of the 3 banks I worked for only one had a sorter/rolling machine.

Originally posted by Gillian
Commerce Bank is the best!

All banks are evil...they might be the least evil though. :)

They have machines like coin star, but they don't charge a fee at all. I think they are called Penny arcades?? You do not have to have an account there.

Are you sure about not needing an account? Last time I was in one in Philly they gave you a ticket for your total which would then be credited to your account.

-Joe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter