• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cockroaches in the restaurant, what would you do?

RitaZ. said:
I don't know how accurate that is. If you look at the pic that Momrek posted in page 1, you can see what a roach egg looks like (the small "log" looking thingie). There is one coming out of one of the roaches. :bitelip: :bitelip:

OMG!!!! I can't believe I'm discussing roach eggs!!!! :bitelip: :bitelip: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

Sorry about the gross picture...but I felt we all need a little cockroach lesson JUST in case anyone was unsure of just exactly what they look like...

Then DS tells me of reading his Prof's thesis...that was a YUCK, totally!!!

Our pest control guy came today and we were talking about this very subject. He said if he even sees one roach in a kitchen/restaurant he won't eat there.

momrek06 said:
Sorry about the gross picture...but I felt we all need a little cockroach lesson JUST in case anyone was unsure of just exactly what they look like...

Oh, I agree. :teeth: They sure do look disgusting, don't they? :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

I probably would have scrunched my eyes shut and started screaming, but that's me. There is nothing grosser on this earth than roaches or anything that looks like them (like water bugs). The last time I saw one, I was so freaked out that I broke my shoe stomping on it. Smashed the heel clean off.

As for the restaurant, I would not only never eat there again; I'd probably also cross to the other side of the street if I ever had to walk past it. ;)

Mickey527 said:
This is something I was told long ago about cockroaches and I have followed this advice with every bug I have seen since then. I don't know how true it is but why take chances.
I was working as a nurse aide while putting myself through nursing school. I worked nights and one night I saw a cockroach walk out of the kitchenette area. I squashed it with my shoe. Another nurse aide said that cockroaches carry their eggs in their body and if I squash one the eggs can still survive in the cracks of my shoe and I could take them home and they will hatch in my house. I left those shoes outside for months.
I never squashed another bug since then with my shoes, but I have used tissues or anything I could find that I could dispose. Peggie

That is true!!!! Do not ever step on a roach!! Grown roaches are hard to getrid of and so are eggs.They lay their eggs everywhere-tops of soda cans, etc.. Wash your cans.

One time I got pork fried rice and took it home where I ate half and put half in the fridge. The next day, I went to eat the other half, and there was a big cockaroach in it. I think of that every single time I eat Chinese.

I live in FL, where cockroaches are very prevalent (believe me, there has been at least one in all of your WDW hotel rooms). Though I have seen them in my home before (they are EVERYWHERE here, even if people won't admit it), I am not afraid to eat there. I would, however, be worried if they were just scattering about as I sat at my dining room table. If you saw them in the daylight while there are plenty of people around, they have a pretty big bug problem.

Mickey527 said:
This is something I was told long ago about cockroaches and I have followed this advice with every bug I have seen since then. I don't know how true it is but why take chances.
I was working as a nurse aide while putting myself through nursing school. I worked nights and one night I saw a cockroach walk out of the kitchenette area. I squashed it with my shoe. Another nurse aide said that cockroaches carry their eggs in their body and if I squash one the eggs can still survive in the cracks of my shoe and I could take them home and they will hatch in my house. I left those shoes outside for months.
I never squashed another bug since then with my shoes, but I have used tissues or anything I could find that I could dispose. Peggie

I have been told the same exact thing--I never step on anything! I will go get something to kill a bug with even if I have shoes on!

For what it is worth:

I've been told you are better off to eat at a stand alone restaurant. The chances of a roach problem is higher in an area where restaurants share a building, especially if they are next to each other.

The reason is, roaches are going to be where food is - delivery services, etc. You really cannot avoid them. If one restaurant exterminates, roaches will move to the next closest food source. So when one business sprays, the roaches move on and survive in the restaurant next door. In a stand alone restaurant, the chances are better that an exterminator is more successful.

Makes sense to me. I avoid strip center shopping centers where there are several restaurants and food courts.

On the same subject (gross and yuck), I was a flight attendant years ago, and airplanes deal with that problem also. Be grateful that food isn't served on many flights anymore. Ha

I've heard they're a big problem in Florida, but after six years at Disney, I was yet to see one(until our last trip). We were waiting for Hallowishes and I went to a popcorn cart in Tomorrowland to grab a couple of Cokes. As I was paying, a roach ran across the glass of the cart. I was a little freaked, but then again I wasn't getting any pocorn :rolleyes:

Aidensmom said:
I live in FL, where cockroaches are very prevalent (believe me, there has been at least one in all of your WDW hotel rooms). Though I have seen them in my home before (they are EVERYWHERE here, even if people won't admit it), I am not afraid to eat there. I would, however, be worried if they were just scattering about as I sat at my dining room table. If you saw them in the daylight while there are plenty of people around, they have a pretty big bug problem.

I think when the OP is talking about cockroaches, she is talking about the small German ones, not the flying palmetto bugs that we see often in Florida. If I saw one palmetto bug in a restaurant it wouldn't cause me to leave because likely there is just the one.

However, seeing one German cockroach means that there are thousands somewhere else in the building, which is disgusting.

I had worked at several restaurants years ago, but the first one I worked at won the prize for the grossest story. I was working breakfast one morning and one of the customers (not mine thank goodness!!!) ordered tomato juice. He took a swig and got a prize. Eeeeewwwwww gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another roach story...

I once worked at a movie theater. I had been there for years high school and then college breaks, with no roaches at all. Then, suddenly, WHAM! It was like the attack of the killer tomatoes, except it was the attack of the killer roaches! They were ALL OVER the concession stand, marching single file up the soda lines, crawling in the spaces between the sour patch kids and the jujubees...even stalking the perimeters of the popcorn cases (though not actually going inside, maybe the heating fans kept them out?). They would run across the counters and we would catch them under a small popcorn cup and smush them later. Behind the counters, in the cabinets where the drink and popcorn containers were held, they were swarming.

For whatever reason, we had to wait a few days for the exterminator, and for another reason (let me guess, profits!) the concession stand was not closed. The thing that amazed me was that people still bought the food!! They could SEE the roaches, but they would still buy the popcorn. I would TELL people that there were bugs, but it was like they were in this sugar coated butter loaded daze...they did not care about the bugs!! They were at the movies and they WOULD have popcorn, even if it was "extra crunchy!"

Interestingly, once the exterminator came (and the stand was closed for two days), we never saw another roach for the time I worked there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter