• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clothes to Pack in Early October

Tom P.

Mouseketeer
Hi folks,

I wasn't 100% sure which forum to post this in. Mods, please feel free to move it if there's a better fit.

Anyway, we're taking a trip to Disney World in early October this year. There will be seven of us -- two adults and five young children, ages 8 and under.

Question: I've never been to central Florida in the Fall. I know it's going to be a lot warmer than what I'm used to further north. But just what should we be expecting and packing for? Are we going to all be fine with shorts, t-shirts, and the like? Or do we need to be counting on cooler weather? Are the days going to differ significantly from the evenings? Etc.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

I've been to WDW many times in the month of October. And really, you need to check the weather right before you go. Sometimes the weather is nice, sometimes it is scortching hot, and sometimes it is chilly enough you need jeans and sweatshirts.

Dress in layers. Short sleeves with light jackets or sweatshirts, and for the girls/ladies leggings underneath dresses. If you plan for afternoon breaks I would start the day in warm weather (short) clothing and head back out for the later part of the day wearing cooler weather (long) clothing.

Mostly shorts and tshirts. I'll throw in a pair of pants (or 2) for the kids and 1 or 2 sweatshirts. It's a beautiful time of year... We'll be there on the 17th!!!! Enjoy!!!!

We have never needed anything but shorts and short sleeved shirts for the first half of October. I don't even pack a sweatshirt, jacket or jeans for that time of year. We say if we get cold we will just buy a sweatshirt, but we have never even come close to needing one. We have been in the pool at YC/BC until it closes at 11, and not been chilly even getting out of the water.

Now November and December are another story- we have been in anything from shorts to gloves and coats- sometimes in the same week.

We have never been in the last half of October- so I can't speak to if the weather starts to sometimes cool off before then-- but since you are going in the first half of October, I would say to expect it to be warm but not overly hot in the mornings and evenings and kind of hot for a few hours in the afternoon.

We are going Oct 17th. I was wondering about this too! We always go in May. Up north we wear shorts when it's 70. Do you think we will need pants? I will bring sweatshirts but pants?

I'll be in Orlando in early October, and I am planning for all shorts/t-shirts. Historical averages for the time I will be there (Oct. 2-5) are 69-87 degrees.

After living here for the past 14 years I can tell you that the beginning of October is HOT. I can't even remember a Halloween that hasn't been in the 90's. It does not really cool off here in the evenings until November.

A Florida winter is a northerners fall. Early October is nice - not too hot, not too cold - and usually the humidity levels have dropped. Although with how the weather has been lately, you never know. It seems like our wet season (winter) is shifting later in the year. I would (like some others suggested) check the weather right before, but be prepared for hot days and possibly cool nights and pack dollar store rain ponchos.

I grew up here and I'll just say this: I don't even bother buying pants and long-sleeved shirts for the kids until Black Friday (when they go on sale at huge discounts). It will almost certainly be warm and it will likely be hot--especially for northerners.
As of now, the forecast as far out as it goes is the same every day: low 90s with a chance of rain. In a month it will be upper 80s with less chance of rain every day. Bring a sweater and some jeans just in case, but plan on shorts. And have FUN! It's one of the best times to visit.

Thanks guys! I think we will be good in shorts. Up north I wear shorts and flips until mid October and then BAM halloween night and we need winter coats. Doesn't seem like we have fall anymore. So if I'm still wearing the shorts up north I should be fine to wear them down south! lol

Thanks guys! I think we will be good in shorts. Up north I wear shorts and flips until mid October and then BAM halloween night and we need winter coats. Doesn't seem like we have fall anymore. So if I'm still wearing the shorts up north I should be fine to wear them down south! lol

Definitely! Wear lighter shorts down south if you're wearing shorts up north because the heat is just gah!

Thanks, everyone! Based upon the comments from all of you, as well as looking at the forecast for as far out as it goes right now, it seems that the best thing is to plan on it being warm to hot, and just keep an eye on the forecast as the dates get closer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter