(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
imagejpg1_zps721b42ad.jpg

I resized, but this still looks big on Preview Post. Anyhow, this was arrival day, 8/11 and we always take this picture because this is the moment the excitement really starts to build.

29 days to go, my DME tags arrived, my magic bands are being sent, and I am obsessively watching the rental car rates for a good one day deal.

I am very very excited.

Can't wait to see the entrance to the lodge for myself.

Just got back from a wonderful week at the WL . Construction going on and they start working around 9am but the room was fairly quiet. Had a courtyard view that faced the lake so we could see the water pageant every night. Even with the construction it's still an awesome hotel. Took advantage of the water park tickets they offered us and the boat to the CR pool was easy and convenient (not busy or as bad as I thought ) all in all was still the WL and no where near the mess of the Poly. Can't wait to see it all when it's done. already booked the bounce back!!!

That is a lot of construction! Looks like what I was expecting though! We hope it's mostly done by the time we arrive in Dec.

Hello,
I'm so excited as my dh and myself will be checking into a 1 bedroom villa at wilderness lodge 23rd April for 8 nights. The resort looks amazing :goodvibes

We will be arriving from the Uk.

Dh likes to jog, I read at the start of the thread that there is a route to FW - but the pictures wouldn't show - does anyone have any info on good jogging routes?
Often the first couple of days dh is out jogging at 5am due to jet lag lol;)

:goodvibes
Thanks

We are doing a split stay at ASMu and WL next month. Our plan is to leave, ASMu, drive into DHS, then drive to WL around 4 o'clock. Our Dining Plan will start that day and we are intending to use a TS credit while at DHS. I read somewhere that we have to go to WL before we are able to use the dining plan. We will be doing online check in and receiving our magic bands in the mail. My assumption was that with online check in, we would be able to head straight to the park.

Will we have to stop at Wilderness Lodge first? If so, that totally messes up our plan...

We are doing a split stay at ASMu and WL next month. Our plan is to leave, ASMu, drive into DHS, then drive to WL around 4 o'clock. Our Dining Plan will start that day and we are intending to use a TS credit while at DHS. I read somewhere that we have to go to WL before we are able to use the dining plan. We will be doing online check in and receiving our magic bands in the mail. My assumption was that with online check in, we would be able to head straight to the park. Will we have to stop at Wilderness Lodge first? If so, that totally messes up our plan...
your bands are already activated when u arrive you need them for ME . So I don't think u will hv a problem

We are doing a split stay at ASMu and WL next month. Our plan is to leave, ASMu, drive into DHS, then drive to WL around 4 o'clock. Our Dining Plan will start that day and we are intending to use a TS credit while at DHS. I read somewhere that we have to go to WL before we are able to use the dining plan. We will be doing online check in and receiving our magic bands in the mail. My assumption was that with online check in, we would be able to head straight to the park. Will we have to stop at Wilderness Lodge first? If so, that totally messes up our plan...

I've read that you do need to stop at WL first to activate.

So sad to see where off the Lodgers Log :( :sad:

We had such a wonderful trip. Our next visit is WDW Marathon related so proximity to Epcot is overriding our resort decision. We will be back WL......:thumbsup2

Doug :goofy:

Hello,
I'm so excited as my dh and myself will be checking into a 1 bedroom villa at wilderness lodge 23rd April for 8 nights. The resort looks amazing :goodvibes

Dh likes to jog, I read at the start of the thread that there is a route to FW - but the pictures wouldn't show - does anyone have any info on good jogging routes?

Thanks

We have walked to Fort Wilderness many times. The trails aren't lighted, so he might have to wait until dawn before running out the door. :) There is a very nice dirt/crushed gravel path that runs along the lake and then joins the paved path to FW. You pick it up behind the bike rental building. The campground is pretty big and there are plenty of areas that are perfect for jogging. The golf carts use the paths to safely get around the campgrounds.

WDWKOOK has posted a map and some information at the bottom of this post:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=51688599&postcount=13

Finally home after a great 15 days at the WL. Will hopefully be able to upload some photos soon. The resort is so perfect, we would love to stay there again.

We found the beds so comfortable at the WL, does anyone know what type of mattress they have?

Think it's time to change our bed as both of us have back ache after sleeping back in our bed.

We are just staying one night and have a standard room booked. Any suggestions on a room request? Also any info on the splash pad they are adding? Thanks much. This is our first time staying at WL and can't wait!!!

I've read that you do need to stop at WL first to activate.

I just did this with a triple split stay. The other hotel can activate charging and park tickets but dining has to activated at WL. But, do test them at roaring fork first! The front desk forgot to link the dining plan and it was still showing my used credits from the previous hotel. I simply went back to the Concierge and he did it in minutes.

I just did this with a triple split stay. The other hotel can activate charging and park tickets but dining has to activated at WL. But, do test them at roaring fork first! The front desk forgot to link the dining plan and it was still showing my used credits from the previous hotel. I simply went back to the Concierge and he did it in minutes.

We will not have dining at the previous hotel. I find it odd that it has to be "activated". It seems like as long as you were checked in it would be fine...

We will not have dining at the previous hotel. I find it odd that it has to be "activated". It seems like as long as you were checked in it would be fine...

I agree! I thought it was silly. Especially that they activated the park tickets and charging on our RO reservation at AoA. The tickets were to begin the next day for the YC reservation. Once we checked into YC the dining was activated. If we had not used all the credits prior to checking into WL we probably would not have known until later she had not done it at the desk. Maybe in the future...just like making dining and fastpass are linked to each reservation instead of the entire MDE. That was frustrating at the 180 day mark!:rotfl:

We were the "flag family" at the Lodge today. Really great experience. Took a pic of the ongoing construction but have no idea how to post it from my phone... so there's that.

I want to tell you about some pixie dust that my DDs received today. They somehow managed to miss their transportation options to GF for Park Fair breakfast. They went back to the desk at the lodge and they offered to drive them. They we so happy.
The WL Suburban is so cool! Did Stacy drive them?

We went over to the WL this afternoon to check out the construction. We had taken the bus from MK and walked toward the villas pool first. It was very quiet over there. You could hear a little construction noise, but it wasn't very loud. The Trout Bar is now located next to the entrance to the Sturdy Branches Health Club. It is just outside the door, under the porch roof, not really much of a bar at all.

The villas pool was closed because of lightening and there wasn't anyone around, so I couldn't get an idea of whether or not the villas pool ever got crowded. We walked toward the marina and bike rental area. There are construction walls blocking the courtyard next to the real Trout Bar building and the playground. There was a lot of heavy construction going on. We could hear jackhammers. There were skid loaders, or bobcats, loading dirt/sand into dumpsters in the beach area. There were workman working on the main pool and the new splash pad area. It was very torn up there.

The main pool was empty and it looked like they were planning to resurface it. I couldn't tell whether it was going to be zero entry or remain the same depth. The planned splash pad appears to have been dug out, but not started yet. It was very noisy with all the heavy machinery and equipment working on the pool area. One of the CM's said that they were working double shirts to get the nosiest and most disruptive work done as soon as possible. We did see someone on the balcony in a fifth floor room overlooking the construction area, which means those rooms are not out of inventory. To be honest, I would not want to be in one of those inner courtyard rooms right now. :sad1:

On the plus side, the waterfall and stream are still running. Rooms with a woods view or the villas courtyard view wouldn't really be bothered by the construction. The pathway to the boat was still there. There are now kids games in the lobby, games like a giant chess game, checkers and dominoes. There was a CM in the lobby whose job was to play with the kids. The marina, bike rental and beach is still open.

I need to upload my pictures and then I'll post them. I took them all with my iPhone, so they won't be the best quality.
Great information and thank you for posting LIVE!

Hello, I posted this awhile back but didn't get a reply. (I posted when the scaffolding was going up so I believe it was overshadowed by that excitement! :rotfl2:) I still haven't made a room request and I'm sure I need to do that very soon if not yesterday! Thanks, all!!
I'm sorry your post was missed and I've added your dates to the Lodgers' Log. Are you booked STD View? You can request a bunk with a SV booking, but I don't know how many there are or exactly where they're located with that view. The bunks are randomly scattered throughout the resort. I hope you get your request.

Here are some pictures of the construction area. You can see the empty pool and all the work being done in the area. It is hard to see the work area near the future splash area. The creek is still flowing up to that bridge, then it disappears. That rocky area is the pool slide. It was hard to tell if they are going to change the slide. All the concrete seems to be torn out of the area.
Great photos and information - thanks. I'm going to post this to the update in POST 2.

Ready to take the elevator to our 2BR villa. (and a nice shot of my Keens) :)
Our room was 5548- got my requests for 5th floor and far from elevator ( we never heard another guest), but didn't get lake side. It didn't really matter there. Pretty much all you see is trees and more trees. Unpacking in a villa is fun! There is a place for everything and not a suitcase in sight for 8 days. That's it for now. My DD took photos of the inside of the villa and I still need to upload them to photobucket.
Thank you for posting your great photos! When you post the interior photos, I'll post them to the VWL section.

Just got back from a wonderful week at the WL . Construction going on and they start working around 9am but the room was fairly quiet. Had a courtyard view that faced the lake so we could see the water pageant every night. Even with the construction it's still an awesome hotel. Took advantage of the water park tickets they offered us and the boat to the CR pool was easy and convenient (not busy or as bad as I thought ) all in all was still the WL and no where near the mess of the Poly. Can't wait to see it all when it's done. already booked the bounce back!!!
Yippee for the BB and thank you for your mini TR.

Hello,

Thanks
Welcome to the thread. As Wood Nymph posted, it's too dark to jog outside at 0500. I've tried it and had to turn around as soon as I got on the trail that starts near the bus stop. When it's dark out, your DH can jog at Sturdy Branches at VWL. The gym is wonderful, never crowded and has 24/7 access with your KTTW card or MB.

So sad to see where off the Lodgers Log :( :sad:

We had such a wonderful trip. Our next visit is WDW Marathon related so proximity to Epcot is overriding our resort decision. We will be back WL......:thumbsup2

Doug :goofy:
Let us know when you're booked again at WL:thumbsup2

Finally home after a great 15 days at the WL. Will hopefully be able to upload some photos soon. The resort is so perfect, we would love to stay there again.

We found the beds so comfortable at the WL, does anyone know what type of mattress they have?

Think it's time to change our bed as both of us have back ache after sleeping back in our bed.
It must have been hard to come home after 15 days. I don't know exactly the make of the WL mattresses, but I did find this on the internet from 2012:

Sealy Posturepedic Encore Plush Mattress at Disney World
Dena writes:

I recently visited Disney World's Contemporary Resort and loved the mattress. They told me it was a sealy posturepedic encore plush. I remember the bed having a pillowtop but I was wondering what mattress would be similar that I can purchase. Thanks! Dena

Hi Dena,
Sealy changed their line....not just minimally, as they had been doing over the past 20 years...dramatically. A complete re-engineering, which means that the mattress you slept on is no longer available. Even if you were to order it from the hotel directly, you wouldn't get a mattress that was the same you slept on.

We do have available, a mattress that is very comfortable and that uses the same coil system as the one Sealy had used over the past 20 years. It's plush, 2 sided and very well made. It's as close as you're going to get. Here's the link for that mattress. Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

Two-sided Therapedic Keepsake Cameo in Plush
- See more at: http://mattressexpert.typepad.com/t...ess-at-disney-world.html#sthash.63mtGqZ0.dpuf

We are just staying one night and have a standard room booked. Any suggestions on a room request? Also any info on the splash pad they are adding? Thanks much. This is our first time staying at WL and can't wait!!!
I don't have any specific splash pad information, but it has/will replace the kiddie pool.

Some like to request a high, North Wing SV room since some have a partial Wishes view. If you don't like the idea of the loading dock beneath you or the possibility of hearing the trucks backing up, then you should request a South Wing room which will instead face the bus stop area and is much quieter.

We were the "flag family" at the Lodge today. Really great experience. Took a pic of the ongoing construction but have no idea how to post it from my phone... so there's that.
How nice to be FF and snap those amazing views. To post from a phone you'll need to use an app. from a photo sharing site, such as Photobucket's Snapbucket. After downloading the app., you can take photos using Snapbucket which will automatically generate an IMAGE code. Just copy/paste the IMG code into your post. If you've already taken the photos, you would need to upload them to a photo sharing site and create the IMG code from there. Small accounts are free.

Hi All
We missed out on getting the wilderness villa this year at thanksgiving so I thought now that the 2015 room rates were released I would go ahead and get a jump on it. But No villa property is showing availabtility for that week. I know every room in every villa property is not sold out, is it a hold for "owners"? Any idea when it gets released:confused3
Thanks so much!

What is this lodgers log I am seeing mentioned? Assuming it's to show who is going when. Is this correct? If so where is it located on this thread.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter