Class of 2021 Parents

My DD is in Boston, she's enjoying it so much, and since we're in Colorado, she only really gets to come home on school breaks, but she said it's really nice, because she gets to be very immersed in school. The kids who come home on weekends don't tend to get involved as much at the school because they're still tethered to home. Just something to think about if your DD really wants to go out of state for undergrad.
Yeah, some kids would be fine, including my oldest--she started school in Boston when we lived in NH, then we moved to NC, and she was absolutely fine. Still lives and works there, as a matter of fact. But my younger DD--not so much. I certainly don't want her coming home every single weekend, but I think the possibility that she "could" will be important to her. OTOH, she is 100% adamant that she will NOT go to the local branch of State U--so close, she could practically walk. We support her going further afield.

Just booked 3 college tours for February vacation. Honestly can't believe we're at this stage already! Where did my little babies go?

Seems like so many of our kids are on the same schedule! DD has the ACT on 2/8 also and the SAT next month.

Crazy how quickly this is all going.

We don't seem to be having much luck finding real/good scholarships.

My poor DD has a nasty head cold for tomorrow's ACT. I'm sure she'll still do OK. She only needs a 22 for the highest scholarship at the community college where's she's applying and she got a 28 and 30 on the two practice tests she took. I was hoping she would do really well in case she changes her mind about where she's going (not likely) or decides to go back to school after getting her associates. On one of practice tests she got a 36 on the science section.

My kids have had a weird sickness with stomach issues and fatigue, hopefully they will feel okay tomorrow. They got 32’s on the practice exams from the last tutoring section, which means we might have to continue tutoring after the next SAT’s if that’s where they land. I’d be fine with that for ds, but I think Dd can do better, but I don’t want to stop tutoring just for him, awkward. Ds needs to borrow a calculator because he’s lost 2 already (he paid for the last 1). Ugh.

The counselors at school had a Junior College planning night last night at school, lots of great info. DD has already decided major(environmental science/environmental law), and actually has a #1 school picked already, so a lot of it we have already talked/discussed. We are going on a few more college visits(been on 5 already- 2 to her #1 pick), but I want her to see a few more just to finalize it. We only have 1 child, and the school she picked is 2 hours away(but so perfect for her)- it's gonna be hard for all of us, but I understand she needs to "spread her wings"

I feel like I fell off the face of the earth. lol

Actually like just got crazy busy....

Junior year for DD has been pretty amazing thus far. She finished up her marching band season with performing at the Liberty Bowl Parade and Halftime show. She took her SAT and ACT tests. Scored pretty well on both of them, but still not happy with the scores so she going for another try on them on Feb 25 when the entire junior class takes them. Our school pays for the junior class to take the act once which is kind of nice. Dd is involved in honor society, mu alpha theta, and rho kappa. She just started her solo and ensemble season and winter guard season. We are in the thick of picking senior year classes. She is torn on her science course right now and unsure if she wants to AP Chemistry or human anatomy or both. College visits have been going well too. We visited University of Pittsburgh back in November. She loves it, but I don't think we can afford it being out of state. We visited Missouri State back in December. She really liked that they had a winter guard time she could also join. We have a visits set up with Indiana State in April and Truman State as well as Murray State in March so we will see how all of those visits go.

I feel like I fell off the face of the earth. lol

Actually like just got crazy busy....

Junior year for DD has been pretty amazing thus far. She finished up her marching band season with performing at the Liberty Bowl Parade and Halftime show. She took her SAT and ACT tests. Scored pretty well on both of them, but still not happy with the scores so she going for another try on them on Feb 25 when the entire junior class takes them. Our school pays for the junior class to take the act once which is kind of nice. Dd is involved in honor society, mu alpha theta, and rho kappa. She just started her solo and ensemble season and winter guard season. We are in the thick of picking senior year classes. She is torn on her science course right now and unsure if she wants to AP Chemistry or human anatomy or both. College visits have been going well too. We visited University of Pittsburgh back in November. She loves it, but I don't think we can afford it being out of state. We visited Missouri State back in December. She really liked that they had a winter guard time she could also join. We have a visits set up with Indiana State in April and Truman State as well as Murray State in March so we will see how all of those visits go.
Don’t rule out OOS dd18 is at UD where OOS is over $50,000, but they gave good merit. Dd16 is interested, but needs to get the same scholarship to attend. We have learned to tailor senior year classes towards their future majors, going through the scheduling now.

Glad to find this thread! We just planned an Arizona college tour for spring break. My (class of '21) son is interested in business, maybe law, and we are visiting UA, ASU and NAU. Has anyone else done tours here? I'm hoping my Freshman daughter will take enough interest to do the tours too. She's interested in Engineering and I think she'd love NAU. It's going to be a tough sell though because it is a ways off for her.

DS toured Montana State with DH over the weekend, they also got in some skiing at Big Sky. Apparently, when they walked on campus, DH said that DS got this look like he was finally home. We're going to look at a couple of other schools, but I'm pretty sure MSU is his school!

DS toured Montana State with DH over the weekend, they also got in some skiing at Big Sky. Apparently, when they walked on campus, DH said that DS got this look like he was finally home. We're going to look at a couple of other schools, but I'm pretty sure MSU is his school!
We had an junior college info session at school and that's exactly what the counselor told the kids, go visit colleges, you'll know when you're "home". Definitely made sense to DD, first time she went onto her #1 school, she said she felt like that's her place. :)

Course selections for senior year are now complete. DS will be graduating a semester early, working for a year, then moving to Buenos Aires to continue his education. His plan is to apply to CU Boulder just to have that in his back pocket and will defer admissions for a year. That’s just in case anything goes awry with his plan. (Like Argentina’s economy totally collapsing, as their peso did last year!) The entire junior class takes the SAT this Tuesday morning at school, but the pressure is totally off him now because his score doesn’t really matter. His fall ACT is enough to get him into CU so he is set. He’ll have to take a half-credit English class online this summer through our district, then the final half-credit of English in the fall. English is the only class you need four years of to graduate from HS in Colorado. Math is only three, which is weird to me, because most colleges want to see four years of math. So I guess technically he’s still Class of 2021. I asked him if it will feel weird to him to just walk out of his school building after his last final this December and know that that’s it. He is just so done with HS, and so focused on what’s next, that it really will not bother him at all. That’s my kid.

We had an junior college info session at school and that's exactly what the counselor told the kids, go visit colleges, you'll know when you're "home". Definitely made sense to DD, first time she went onto her #1 school, she said she felt like that's her place. :)
Dd just toured university of Richmond with her cousin, going to William and Mary tomorrow, I certainly hope she doesn’t feel at home, not in our price range! I just fly her to meet up with my sister to make it more fun for my niece and for Dd to get an idea of what type of school she wants to attend.

Dd just toured university of Richmond with her cousin, going to William and Mary tomorrow, I certainly hope she doesn’t feel at home, not in our price range! I just fly her to meet up with my sister to make it more fun for my niece and for Dd to get an idea of what type of school she wants to attend.
I think it's good to try put a;; different ones to see what they like. But price is certainly a factor. LOL

We just went junior prom dress shopping!!! DD got the first dress she tried. She tried about 7-8. Can't believe it's that time!!

We just went junior prom dress shopping!!! DD got the first dress she tried. She tried about 7-8. Can't believe it's that time!!
I'm not sure if DS is even going to go to prom, he's expressed no interest in it at all. He may go to after prom, as it's a pretty big deal here and the kids always have a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if DS is even going to go to prom, he's expressed no interest in it at all. He may go to after prom, as it's a pretty big deal here and the kids always have a lot of fun.
A lot of juniors go here. DD doesn't have a date, going with friends. She loves to dance and socialize, so she's ready. She's wearing Vans with her dress, but dress is long, so I don't care. She's a sporty girl, so it's fitting. haha

We just have a junior formal, prom is for seniors. Dd is wearing her sister‘s prom dress from last year, I spent $400 on it, it’s stunning on her, and it‘s much nicer than anything I’d be willing to buy her (plus she okay‘d it when dd18 was buying it). She is currently in between boyfriends, but has been “talking“ to a guy (he even got her candy for Valentine’s Da). Unfortunately he already asked a girl as a friend a month ago. She might take a girlfriend who is a sophomore. I’m going to try and borrow a suit for ds, unfortunately he is 4 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter than ds21. I don’t know if he’s bringing his girlfriend, she’s a sophomore and doesn’t know many going.

We have one prom for juniors it's in the school cafeteria, but the senior one is downtown(in Baltimore city) in a swanky hotel. We live in the burbs of the city. DD already said her and friends or whoever she goes with to senior prom want to rent limo, or whatever to go in next year. She will drive herself and friends this year. She's the only one that has license and can drive with friends(in Maryland you have to have your license 5 months before you can drive someone other than siblings or adults).
She wasn't very excited, but now that she got her dress, she is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter