Class of 2021 Parents

For those of you whose kids took the PSAT yesterday, how do they think they did? DS said he felt good, but on the reading portion he felt a little rushed at the end since he was taking more time than usual earlier in the section. He took a full online practice test this weekend and did great -- fingers crossed that he does that well on the real one from yesterday.

The juniors took a practice ACT 2-3 weeks ago (a real ACT that you receive a legitimate score report for, but it's from a previous year, so it doesn't count). They'll take the real one for free during the school day in the spring, but I probably will sign him up to take it in December at another testing location.

We've been on 3 college tours (2 in FL when we were there this summer) and Vanderbilt last week since it's only about 30 minutes away. He doesn't feel strongly one way or the other about any of them -- and he has no idea what he wants to major in. Probably math of some sort or possibly physics.
DS said it was easy. He did not say that last year when he took it, so I am looking at it as a good sign. He will take both the SAT and ACT this winter sometime, I had DS18 take both also when he was a junior.

This weekend is family weekend for DS18 and I hope the time on campus will be good for DS16 to see - he wants to apply there too, and we'll do the normal tour for prospective students another time too (it's only 45 min away). I asked him to -before Thanksgiving -come up with two other schools he'd like to visit so we can start to plan our winter and spring weekends. Between sports, school visits, testing and he needs to recertify for lifeguarding, that doesn't leave too much downtime. He likes history and math/stats but doesn't have a clear idea about a major yet but knows he wants a "reasonably large" school as he puts it.

Last edited:
We have PSATs next week on the 30th, and DS is signed up for the December ACT. We had our second appointment with our college search consultant yesterday and got a few more "honey dos" from her for DS. She had given him a couple of websites to visit that would help narrow down interests, possible majors, and possible jobs from that. He did them, but didn't really look at the jobs lists, so he needs to go back through and check them out. He's also going to see about doing some career interviews/job shadowing to see if those are possibilities for him. She also suggested MOOCs, online free courses like TED talks that show interest in a field.

Now it's study, study, study for the PSAT and ACT to get the scores he needs for the WUE!

Well, the PSATs ended up falling on a snow day, so they were cancelled as College Boards won't reschedule. They said they'll use the SAT scores to determine eligibility for the National Merit Scholarships. Now we're focusing on the GPA and ACT practice tests.

Well, the PSATs ended up falling on a snow day, so they were cancelled as College Boards won't reschedule. They said they'll use the SAT scores to determine eligibility for the National Merit Scholarships. Now we're focusing on the GPA and ACT practice tests.

Same here! Good ol' reliable Colorado weather! No rescheduling allowed, so SAT on your own for NMQST qualification. He is also signed up for the December ACT. Today he did the full day program for prospective students at CU Boulder. It was a very broad overview of the entire university, which makes sense, and a really enjoyable day. It doesn't help when your small group tour guide is kind of ditsy, but every other student he interacted with was wonderful. About all that we could pull out of him afterwards was that he liked the large campus setting because it could offer so many different things. I really think that his mind is still in Buenos Aires! He drove us home today, and has his driving test scheduled for tomorrow morning. His soccer banquet was last weekend and he just left for his school's big playoff football game tonight. Life is good for Mr. Junior!

Same here! Good ol' reliable Colorado weather! No rescheduling allowed, so SAT on your own for NMQST qualification. He is also signed up for the December ACT. Today he did the full day program for prospective students at CU Boulder. It was a very broad overview of the entire university, which makes sense, and a really enjoyable day. It doesn't help when your small group tour guide is kind of ditsy, but every other student he interacted with was wonderful. About all that we could pull out of him afterwards was that he liked the large campus setting because it could offer so many different things. I really think that his mind is still in Buenos Aires! He drove us home today, and has his driving test scheduled for tomorrow morning. His soccer banquet was last weekend and he just left for his school's big playoff football game tonight. Life is good for Mr. Junior!

Where does your DS go to school? Sounds like you're in the Denver area like we are? DS is at Rock Canyon, and they'll use the school administered SAT scores for NMQST qualification (not that DS is going to qualify, he's not an honors student, but he's a good student).

We had our latest meeting with our college search agent, and she found a program at a local community college that is dual enrollment with the high schools. It's an automotive repair program that is 5 courses and 7 credits that will end up in an light automotive repair certificate. DS wants to do this as it'll be a great first step for his major in mechanical engineering and he's always been really interested in cars.

The leader of the program said that last year he had 2 students who went on to study at School of Mines, so it's not just a certificate program for vocational students which is great!

How's everyone's juniors holding up? We just finished the 1/2 way mark. 2nd semester started this week. DD's in full swing of basketball season, SAT prep(she takes it in March), already started applying for a few scholarships that need to be done junior year. Also, just found out she got in Chinese Honor Society(they don't get invited to any honor society's until junior year)- she's working so hard this year.

How's everyone's juniors holding up? We just finished the 1/2 way mark. 2nd semester started this week. DD's in full swing of basketball season, SAT prep(she takes it in March), already started applying for a few scholarships that need to be done junior year. Also, just found out she got in Chinese Honor Society(they don't get invited to any honor society's until junior year)- she's working so hard this year.
Hi Congratulations on your daughter getting in the Chinese Honor Society! I didn't realize there were scholarships that needed to be applied for junior year. Is there a spot where you look for these scholarships?

Hi Congratulations on your daughter getting in the Chinese Honor Society! I didn't realize there were scholarships that needed to be applied for junior year. Is there a spot where you look for these scholarships?
Thanks so much, she loves her Chinese class- her 6th year), even did a "field trip" with school to China a few years ago.

I've done my own research online looking around and found a few. My husband's work has one also, you have to do it junior year.

DS is holding up pretty well. He takes the ACT again on Feb. 8th, the first time he said he basically rushed through it because he wasn't sure he'd have enough time to finish, and then ended up with lots of extra time, but he didn't go back over his answers. So, this time around he's going to take it slower, and he's been doing more prep.

We got the application for the concurrent enrollment class done and he's been accepted into the college, now we're waiting to hear about the program. He's still dead set on going to Montana State, and he will visit it with DH over Valentine's/Presidents' Day weekend. Along with some skiing in Big Sky!

DS is holding up pretty well. He takes the ACT again on Feb. 8th, the first time he said he basically rushed through it because he wasn't sure he'd have enough time to finish, and then ended up with lots of extra time, but he didn't go back over his answers. So, this time around he's going to take it slower, and he's been doing more prep.

We got the application for the concurrent enrollment class done and he's been accepted into the college, now we're waiting to hear about the program. He's still dead set on going to Montana State, and he will visit it with DH over Valentine's/Presidents' Day weekend. Along with some skiing in Big Sky!
Good luck to your DS.

My DD is also taking ACTs on 2/8. Not too many kids around here take the ACTs but the school she wants to go to uses the ACT for their scholarships. She want to do band instrument repair-a technical degree. There are only 3 colleges in the US that offer the program and only 1 of those have dorms. We visited Western Iowa Tech last summer and she really like it. She was already #5 on the list for 12 slots for the Fall of 2021.

Dd and ds got their drivers licenses, they will be sharing a car, should be interesting. The both took the SAT’s, are taking the ACT’s in February, SAT’s in March. They’re still meeting with the tutor once a week, and their HS has a month long daily class before school every day, so I signed them up (it’s free). They were not happy seeing two giant SAT books on the kitchen table. Dd wants to ask ds’s best friend to formal as a friend, he says no (he’s like a brother to her, his older sister is Dd18’s best friend of 12 years). Should be interesting!

She want to do band instrument repair-a technical degree

Neat!

DS is taking the ACT on 2/8, but they're also administering them at his high school during the school day in late March. No plans on the SAT right now... We were a little surprised with his PSAT score. The last two years he took it, he would've easily qualified for National Merit commended if it would've counted in those years, and this year was hoping to push the score up, but the one year it actually counts, he didn't do nearly as good as the previous two years. :confused3

He's taken an official Practice ACT a couple of times (administered at school with a previous year's ACT and officially scored), but next weekend will be his first time taking one that counts. Wish he'd put more effort into it, but he's just so busy these days *sigh*.

He really has no idea where he wants to go to school or what he wants to study. Any ideas for a kid who's equally exceptional and passionate at math and music? Weird combo, I know.

Neat!

DS is taking the ACT on 2/8, but they're also administering them at his high school during the school day in late March. No plans on the SAT right now... We were a little surprised with his PSAT score. The last two years he took it, he would've easily qualified for National Merit commended if it would've counted in those years, and this year was hoping to push the score up, but the one year it actually counts, he didn't do nearly as good as the previous two years. :confused3

He really has no idea where he wants to go to school or what he wants to study. Any ideas for a kid who's equally exceptional and passionate at math and music? Weird combo, I know.
That stinks....my DS who is a college freshman was most prepared for SAT his 2nd time taking it. The College Board considered it an "easy" test so his score was much lower than it should have been. Fortunately he still got into all the schools he applied to and is very happy where he is right now.

My oldest DD who is a college Junior is really strong in math and can play just about any instrument by ear but I wouldn't call music her passion as she's too shy.... She's majoring in Meteorology and minoring in Math. Of the 40+ kids she started with as a freshman in Meteorology there are only about 12 left. Now she's not sure what she wants to do. She'll get her meteorology degree but she's not sure that is what she wants to do anymore. I'm hoping she gets her passion back when she done with the academics.

Neat!

He's taken an official Practice ACT a couple of times (administered at school with a previous year's ACT and officially scored), but next weekend will be his first time taking one that counts. Wish he'd put more effort into it, but he's just so busy these days *sigh*.

All of my kids have math and music brains (as does DH, not me). My oldest passed her CPA and works for an accounting firm. She taught herself piano, guitar (and ukulele), composes and sings. Ds21 is a finance major and was in the choir beginning of college, he got a new guitar for Christmas. Ds16 and dd16 are in the top HS choir like their siblings (weighted class), all they know is ther are leaning towards business. Dd‘s favorite course was AP stats from last year, so maybe an actuary? DH is a financial planner and still plays in his HS band. 😂

Well, my DD with a math and music brain is going to major in psychology, I think, on her way to either joining the FBI or becoming a lawyer. It breaks this electrical engineers heart--I LOVE math, and she hates it!

She's also taking the ACT next month. Her plan is to go to our high-quality state flagship school for undergrad, then on to grad school/law school. She's been getting "love letters" from the undergrad school, so she's jazzed about that. Initially, she wanted to do her undergrad in Boston, but that's 800 miles from here. I think she would be fine with that for grad school, but it's too far for undergrad--she couldn't get home much, and I think shed miss her dog terribly. Two hours away is a good distance, and she could come home any weekend she wanted to.

So we had this idea that our junior would visit some east coast schools over spring break this year. Well that trip got moved up to last weekend! In late December he received an invitation to do an overnight at the Naval Academy to shadow a midshipman, and he was offered specific dates in January. So he and DH jetted off to Maryland and tossed on a visit to Georgetown because they were nearby. DS had a really unique experience and thoroughly enjoyed his time at the academy. Whether he applies to either school is up in the air. We’re just glad that he finally showed some interest in something college related! He will take the ACT and the SAT during a school day with all the juniors in the next two months. Not on the same day, of course. :D

We got a used Honda Civic about a month ago. With the very specific understanding that it is not HIS car, it is just the third car, and his brother will get it after him. He applied for a job today so thankfully he is independent of us for transportation now!

So we had this idea that our junior would visit some east coast schools over spring break this year. Well that trip got moved up to last weekend! In late December he received an invitation to do an overnight at the Naval Academy to shadow a midshipman, and he was offered specific dates in January. So he and DH jetted off to Maryland and tossed on a visit to Georgetown because they were nearby. DS had a really unique experience and thoroughly enjoyed his time at the academy. Whether he applies to either school is up in the air. We’re just glad that he finally showed some interest in something college related! He will take the ACT and the SAT during a school day with all the juniors in the next two months. Not on the same day, of course. :D

We got a used Honda Civic about a month ago. With the very specific understanding that it is not HIS car, it is just the third car, and his brother will get it after him. He applied for a job today so thankfully he is independent of us for transportation now!
Wow, welcome to Maryland. LOL That's awesome!!! It's good he's expressing some interest. :)

Thanks @nikkistevej ! Our kids were born in Annapolis, so it was like old home week(end). We don’t get back there much, but DH went along with him because both of his sisters live in Maryland. I was just jealous because of all the great food they were going to get to eat in Annapolis. And eat they did! 🦀

Neat!

Not a weird combination at all. Studies have shown that kids who have music educations early in life, do better in math, reading music is basic math after all.

As for schools, find out if he wants to actually DO a math major, there are lots of aptitude tests out there that do pretty well at narrowing down a career field, and then decide what schools have good majors that he's interested in, and then how affordable for you/him are they? Filter them all out, and find the best one that fits the criteria. Really getting started is the hardest part. We had that problem with DD, and ended up taking her to a college search agency, and are now repeating that with DS.

Well, my DD with a math and music brain is going to major in psychology, I think, on her way to either joining the FBI or becoming a lawyer. It breaks this electrical engineers heart--I LOVE math, and she hates it!

She's also taking the ACT next month. Her plan is to go to our high-quality state flagship school for undergrad, then on to grad school/law school. She's been getting "love letters" from the undergrad school, so she's jazzed about that. Initially, she wanted to do her undergrad in Boston, but that's 800 miles from here. I think she would be fine with that for grad school, but it's too far for undergrad--she couldn't get home much, and I think shed miss her dog terribly. Two hours away is a good distance, and she could come home any weekend she wanted to.

My DD is in Boston, she's enjoying it so much, and since we're in Colorado, she only really gets to come home on school breaks, but she said it's really nice, because she gets to be very immersed in school. The kids who come home on weekends don't tend to get involved as much at the school because they're still tethered to home. Just something to think about if your DD really wants to go out of state for undergrad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter