Cinderella's Royal Table- worth the 2 DDP credits? Better choices?

wdwfan317

Earning My Ears
We are bringing our 2 boys and our newly adopted daughter(16y) to WDW this Sept. for 8 days. We want to do as many character dining experiences as possible, especially Princess dining. We chose the Regular DP.
Planning to do 1)Akershus brunch
2) Donald's Safari dinner, 3) Trails End brunch buffet(staying at Cabins) 4)Boma brunch(a family fave) 5) The Coral Reef dinner(she loves fish/aquariums), and 6) 1900 Park Fare(brunch). This leaves us with either The Crystal Palace and Be Our Guest or other one DDP Credit character meals(Ohana, Cape May, Garden Grill, etc) OR Cinderella's Royal Table. Is it worth the 2 credits? Are there better choices? Help me. Also, if the restaurants I chose have better dinner than brunch or better brunch than dinner, let me know.

As to Cinderella's royal table, there is just something really special about eating inside the castle. It's a very small restaurant so it is a very intimate setting. Also tips are included, which also adds value to the fact that it is 2 credits. So, I do think it's "worth" it. The question is whether you would prefer going there vs. two other restaurants.

I would strongly consider the new character meal breakfast at Boardwalk, the Bon Voyage breakfast.

Also, I would not use DDP to pay for Trails End buffet. I would pay for that one OOP, and then use the extra credit for a character buffet. If you look at the prices here, I would say that Trail's End is not worth 1 credit, given the price per day of the DDP. In general, $35 per adult credit is the tipping point for a table service meal to be "worth" 1 credit. Cinderella's royal table is over $70 so worth it. Also, by going to Cinderella's royal table, you will not have to pay tips for the two meals you would otherwise do, which saves quite a bit of money, also.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/buffet-character-shows-aycte-pricing.3108466/

As for brunch or dinner:
1. Akerkshus: look at the dinner menu. While the cold buffet they have is great, the family style meal is "regular" breakfast foods. If the dinner menu looks appetizing for your family, I would switch this one.

2. Donald's: the breakfast buffet here is among the most interesting/diverse buffets. However, I *think* it would be similar to the Boma breakfast, which you are already doing. So, I'd stick to dinner.

3. 1900 PF. Great breakfast, and also great dinner. However, the characters are not the same. Would you rather see Mary Poppins, Alice, mad hatter (and 1 other, I think) for breakfast, or for dinner: Cinderella, Prince Charming, the step-mother and step-sisters? The step sisters and step mother are GREAT, so I would pick absolutely pick dinner at 1900 PF for the characters. Best character interaction we've had was dinner here.

4. Crystal Palace is the same, to me, for breakfast and dinner. Both are very good, but neither menu stands out above the other. Characters are the same.

So, if it was me, my choice of 8 credits would be:
1. Akerkshus lunch or dinner
2. Cinderella RT lunch or dinner
3. 1900 PF dinner
4. Donald's dinner
5. Boma breakfast (though this is under the $35 also)
6. Coral Reef Dinner
7. Bon Voyage breakfast

Pay out of pocket for Trail's end (you will be paying OOP for some meals, anyway, and this one won't cost that much more)

I would go to Be Our Guest for breakfast or lunch (or both) as that is a quick service credit for those meals. If you are planning 2 days in MK, I would do one of each.

If you're wanting to do as many character dining experiences as possible, I would also look closely at the character overlaps you have going.

Characters:
  • Akershus: Princesses
  • Tusker House: Donald, Daisy, Mickey, Goofy
  • 1900 Park Fare breakfast: Mad Hatter, Alice, Mary Poppins, Pooh and Tigger
So, some of what you're missing right now: Chip and Dale, Minnie, Pluto. CRT will essentially duplicate Akershus entirely.

I might consider swapping 1900 Park Fare breakfast for dinner -- dinner is 1TS and features Cinderella, the prince and the stepsisters. The new Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria al Forno is allegedly going to have Prince Eric and Flynn Rider appearing with Rapunzel and Ariel (and while Ariel would show at Akershus or CRT generally, Rapunzel is rarer there).

Ohana breakfast would get you Stitch and Lilo, another Mickey, and Pluto. Ohana dinner is non-character. Garden Grill gets the chipmunks and Pluto, with another Mickey.

I would also consider, if 1900PF breakfast goes, dropping in Crystal Palace for some meal and getting the Pooh collective.

Here is my take as we just went in September and pretty much did all the character dining we could:
  • Cinderella's Royal Table was very cool. We went for breakfast. It was a little hokey, but my 5yo DD loved it. I wouldn't go back again. It was sort of a one-time thing in my mind.
  • Be Our Guest for lunch was awesome! No characters, but it's QS for lunch. The food is delicious.
  • Tusker House was good in my mind, but my family, who are picky eaters, did not like the food. DH ate off the kid's buffet. DD wasn't interested in the characters.
  • 1900PF was great for dinner because DD loved the characters. The food was so-so.
  • We did Crystal Palace for dinner and it again was so-so for the food. She was excited about the characters, but our reservation was late so she was exhausted by the time they all made their way around.
  • Akershus was awesome. Breakfast was delicious. Something for everyone. Again cutesy with the princesses. Definitely targets little girls. DD loved it. Some of the best princess pictures we have!
All this being said, if you are looking for most value for your DP credits then breakfast is usually not the meal to choose. One reservation that I DO wish we had been able to get last time is Ohana. We definitely maxed out the character meal experience last time and while it was fun, we won't be doing it again this time. Hope this is helpful! Good luck booking ADRs!

My personal opinion on CRT for those that are considering their first meal there:

1. If you don't do it, you'll wish you had.

2. If you do it, you'll realize afterwards that once was enough and you won't have any desire to return in the near future.

Again, just my personal opinion. YMMV. :duck:

I would like to add that I think Garden Grill is great food and a neat atmosphere. I'm not sure your boys' age but I would think boys would enjoy seeing farmer Mickey, chip, dale and pluto

My personal opinion on CRT for those that are considering their first meal there:

1. If you don't do it, you'll wish you had.

2. If you do it, you'll realize afterwards that once was enough and you won't have any desire to return in the near future.

Again, just my personal opinion. YMMV. :duck:

I agree with this, It is definitely a do it once type of place.
As adults, our two credits got us much better food at the California Grill, but even as three adult males we had fun at CRT and enjoyed what we ate for dinner. Of course tip and apps are included so you get three courses for your two credits, plus a sword or wand. We had great fun sword fighting waiting for the fireworks!

I agree with this, It is definitely a do it once type of place.
As adults, our two credits got us much better food at the California Grill, but even as three adult males we had fun at CRT and enjoyed what we ate for dinner. Of course tip and apps are included so you get three courses for your two credits, plus a sword or wand. We had great fun sword fighting waiting for the fireworks!

You got a sword!?!? I'm jealous! We were there December 2016 (2 adult females) and we didn't get any of that. I just wanted a wishing star as a keepsake.

You got a sword!?!? I'm jealous! We were there December 2016 (2 adult females) and we didn't get any of that. I just wanted a wishing star as a keepsake.

The wishing stars were brought over just after we were seated then I think we got swords inbetween courses. Three adult guys there for my 30th Birthday, about five years ago though. Girls generally got wands instead of swords.

The good thing about CRT is it isn't rushed. The pictures with Cinderella when you walk in are nicer than what you get at other places. Also -- the breakfast food was actually really good. I got the steak and eggs and it was surprisingly really good steak. The theming inside the castle is also better than the other dining locations (except for BOG). BOG for dinner is just Beast -- so I wouldn't go there just for the character dining option.

I would choose Akershus or CRT. Check with your family if any have Castle dreams. We were rather so-so about it so did Akershus. On a later trip, we had credits to spare and I figured why not. Plus DD and I did have some mild Castle dreams. It was nice and I am really glad we did it. But once and done for us unless we go with someone else who has Castle dreams.

My next trip is with my 3.5yr old niece and we are pretty sure we are not doing CRT. My SIL doesn't really care to do it for herself and she pointed out that my niece won't really understand that it is THE CASTLE so the experience would be wasted.

We did Akershus breakfast and CRT dinner, enjoyed both very much. If you want variety I wouldn't do both. I also wouldn't hesitate to do both if they are of interest to everyone just because they are similar.

I liked the design/atmosphere inside Akershus better, but I may be in the minority on that. We felt the food was fine, we aren't overly adventurous eaters so went with the safer breakfast, and to me breakfast food is ok or not ok. It's hard to impress with eggs and bacon! Princesses were great and they do a little parade.

CRT, well it's in the castle!! We didn't care for the appetizer at all but liked the rest of our food. Princesses were great there too, Ariel made a big deal with my daughter (dressed as Moana) and just had to take her over to Snow White immediately, so they went all around and she had a blast. The wand is one of my daughters favorite souvenirs from the trip as well. Was definitely worth 2 credits for us.

We never regretted doing both on our trip, especially our 5 year old princess loving daughter :)

We have a dinner reservation at CRT for my daughters 4th birthday, We've never been and I know my kids will love it. So for us, it's with it. Last year we did Askershus and it was nice, but I would pick one and not do both in the same trip.

We were very underwhelmed by dinner at CRT, the food choices are very limited, not like it was in years past. Mediocre at best. And for two TS credits, we just were not happy with it. In fact we think of it as the worst meal we've ever had. I suppose if you have young girls it may be fun. Have never done breakfast there. However, if you're looking for a special experience for dinner, California Grill is not only a great meal for your two credits each,
the fireworks viewing is spectacular. Time your dinner for fireworks viewing, and they pause service and you go outside onto a large balcony with the music piped in. Then after its over, go back to your table to have dessert. We love it and our kids have loved it from young to adult. For a really fun time, good food and a show, picture and gratuity included, wine beer and sangria, if you choose to imbibe, is Hoop Dee Doo Review. 2TS credits. We go every single time we go to Disney. For us it doesn't get old.
Try to fit in BOG for breakfast and lunch. It's quick service and it's really good. The beast however does not make an appearance at breakfast, still worth it.
If an additional character meal is a must, go for OHana. It's the most unique breakfast food, it's very good and you get lilo and stitch.
All imho, but it looks like you'll have a lovely vacation no matter what you choose. And congratulations on the adoption of your daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter