Chromecast, Amazon Fire, or other?

akl432

First-time cruiser!
Hi Dis-sers!

I currently have cable and am not looking to cut the cord. I would like to buy a device to view youtube and other content online that is available with a cable subscription (example: ESPN online) on my TV's.

I will not be subscribing to any additional pay services such as Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime. My goal is to be able to use my TV to view the videos on youtube, so that I can work on other things on my computer at the same time (such as browsing the internet and working with Excel spreadsheets).

Most of my TV's are the old tube TV's without HDMI ports, but my cable receiver boxes (AT&T Uverse) connected to the TV's do have ports.

Do you recommend Chromecast, Amazon Fire, or a different device? I have been trying to research and am so confused!

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Never tried a Chromecast, but I love my FireTV's.
You might want to check and make sure that your cable boxes actually have HDMI inputs, and if they do make sure they're functional (I've never seen one that did, but I certainly haven't seen them all). You'll run into problems with the Fire or the Chromecast if they don't.
Roku makes the Express+ that still has a composite output that will probably work with your older TV's, but it won't be high definition.

My older Roku has a standard def connection port (Yellow, red, white for the audio and picture) that will work with your tube TV. I wouldn't get a stick version of any of brands just in case the HDMI port on your box doens't work (see PP above). I personally own the fire stick and an old HD roku box. I like the Roku better for user-friendliness. The fire stick is more geared towards prime members (IMO at least).

ETA This Roku will connect directly to your TV with the standard connection.

I hated the firestick after using the chromecast. I think for your use I wouldn't bother with a roku. If you had subscription apps then it is totally worth it.

I hated the firestick after using the chromecast. I think for your use I wouldn't bother with a roku. If you had subscription apps then it is totally worth it.

only downside to chromecast vs firestick is no amazon prime videos on chromecast...

Hi Dis-sers!

I currently have cable and am not looking to cut the cord. I would like to buy a device to view youtube and other content online that is available with a cable subscription (example: ESPN online) on my TV's.

I will not be subscribing to any additional pay services such as Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime. My goal is to be able to use my TV to view the videos on youtube, so that I can work on other things on my computer at the same time (such as browsing the internet and working with Excel spreadsheets).

Most of my TV's are the old tube TV's without HDMI ports, but my cable receiver boxes (AT&T Uverse) connected to the TV's do have ports.

Do you recommend Chromecast, Amazon Fire, or a different device? I have been trying to research and am so confused!

Thanks in advance for your responses!

I think I would do some research to see if your TVs will work with one of those devices. I don't think it matters whether or not your cable boxes have HDMI, what matter is whether your TV can use that "signal", not sure old tube TVs can. If you can use it, the picture quality will probably not be very good, but I guess if you are used to the older TV then it won't make much difference for you. Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will come here and let you know :)

We have a Chromecast and the Amazon Firestick here. I prefer the Firestick but that is because I do have Amazon Prime. If you are just using it for youtube I think the Chromecast is a good choice.

I got a smart DVD last year for Christmas and we found it is great as it is compatible with everything once set up so you can remove or add services as you go (we have amazon via prime and netflix but if we ever add or drop one it won't make a difference as far as the device). a chromecast is easy to use but I plug it into a USB type port, so on older tvs it may not be compatible. if you are going to cut cable a smart dvd/blueray player is also a good option as you may want to buy more dvds or take them out from the library so it helps to have a new device that can play anything available to you.

I have both the roku and fire stick. i think both are fine options, but the roku is more flexible. the fire stick doesn't allow you to access some apps, like Vudu, since it is considered competition. Vudu just added free streaming movie service, so it is beneficial to be able to access. plus, roku has some devices with the standard def ports, which seems like it would work best for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter