• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas Week less busy than normal?

tano

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
I'm in Orlando the week before Christmas and the week of Christmas. Was originally planning to visit the week before Christmas because historically Christmas week crowds have been nuts. However with the reservation calendar showing full for both weeks now, I'm wondering if it will matter? Given that reservation filled up for this week, do we know what crowd level that means?

FYI, a few minutes ago I was able to make a reservation for HWS on Dec 27th even though it showed as blocked (1st attempt). I have open dated tickets in my account that were purchased and loaded into MDE over a month ago. Just wasn't sure of my dates.

thx

We are seeing massive wait times this week for Thanksgiving holiday guests so I imagine much of the same for Christmas.
Thanks. Just find it hard to believe the reservations hit capacity for Christmas so early! Foolishly hoped it meant capacity cutoff was less than "pre-covid" due to some element of social distancing.

Due to the way Christmas falls on a Saturday, many school boards are breaking for their Christmas break on Friday, Dec 17th. The two week break here is Dec 18 - Jan 2 which means people who would normally head to Disney after New Years are now going the week before Christmas.

I would anticipate crowds and waits much like we're seeing this week.

Thanks. Just find it hard to believe the reservations hit capacity for Christmas so early! Foolishly hoped it meant capacity cutoff was less than "pre-covid" due to some element of social distancing.

I don’t know what the capacity is, or if it’s lower or not, but no signs of social distancing anywhere here in Florida. I think all the pent-up desires for vacation caused everyone who was cancelled in 2020 and early 2021 to rebook and it’s pretty much ‘business as usual’ in Florida. The Canadians are back, at least some of them, hotels in my area are full and tourists are already everywhere. It’s going to get busier for sure.

Hello all,
I'm in Orlando the week before Christmas and the week of Christmas. Was originally planning to visit the week before Christmas because historically Christmas week crowds have been nuts. However with the reservation calendar showing full for both weeks now, I'm wondering if it will matter? Given that reservation filled up for this week, do we know what crowd level that means?

FYI, a few minutes ago I was able to make a reservation for HWS on Dec 27th even though it showed as blocked (1st attempt). I have open dated tickets in my account that were purchased and loaded into MDE over a month ago. Just wasn't sure of my dates.

thx
I would expect it to be less crowded then a normal christmas because there definitely still are capacity limits. Per touringplans overall the parks have not yet exceeded a level 7 crowd level. Yes, subjectively it's still going to feel very crowded, because Disney always feels crowded, but I would absolutely expect the relative crowds over Christmas to be less then they were in say 2019. Their current capacity restrictions certainly appear much lower then their old phase 4 closure limits.

I don’t know what the capacity is, or if it’s lower or not, but no signs of social distancing anywhere here in Florida. I think all the pent-up desires for vacation caused everyone who was cancelled in 2020 and early 2021 to rebook and it’s pretty much ‘business as usual’ in Florida. The Canadians are back, at least some of them, hotels in my area are full and tourists are already everywhere. It’s going to get busier for sure.

And I am one of those ‘cancellees”! My trip in May 2020 was cancelled, which was rebooked to August 2020 and again cancelled. My next plan for spring 2021 was cancelled due to a surge in cases. So my current WDW trips are 1/11 and 1/24. I normally go at that time anyway, but this year I’m not expecting the low-ish crowds like I last experienced in 2020.

I would expect it to be less crowded then a normal christmas because there definitely still are capacity limits. Per touringplans overall the parks have not yet exceeded a level 7 crowd level. Yes, subjectively it's still going to feel very crowded, because Disney always feels crowded, but I would absolutely expect the relative crowds over Christmas to be less then they were in say 2019. Their current capacity restrictions certainly appear much lower then their old phase 4 closure limits.

How do they determine a crowd level of 7? Estimate the numbers somehow? I guess that since somethings are not running fully that the park will feel more crowded, but from all reports I’ve seen and heard, it’s been plenty crowded this week. I was going to go last week, and the weather wasn’t great. I was thinking about going this coming Monday (not blocked out after this weekend), but have changed my mind.

How do they determine a crowd level of 7? Estimate the numbers somehow? I guess that since somethings are not running fully that the park will feel more crowded, but from all reports I’ve seen and heard, it’s been plenty crowded this week. I was going to go last week, and the weather wasn’t great. I was thinking about going this coming Monday (not blocked out after this weekend), but have changed my mind.
They base them on actual reported wait times for the attractions at various points throughout the day. Again, it's going to be crowded, but it's not going to be Phase IV closure crowded. I think people forgot how crowded the parks actually used to get over Christmas.

I agree, as bad as wait times have been the last few days they are nothing like Christmas week crowds in 2019 and before. Rides likes Peter Pan and Test Track having 3 hour waits and on New Year’s Eve, some rides having posted 5 or 6 hour waits.

It's purely a guess but I feel parks will be busy the week before Christmas as Christmas Day is a Saturday which means many schools are closed the full week before Christmas.
He’s really talking about two weeks before christmas though if he comes the 12th. Although who knows, it may just be busy from here on out for a while.

There is ZERO social distancing happening here this week. Disney is at least requiring masks indoors. We did universal too and it has been so crowded I masked outside too. So. Many. People.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter