Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You

The room is designed really well for a bigger family - two separate showers, a decent area by the door for a stroller/shoes/bags.

We are excited to give this hotel a try on our next trip. It is both the closest we have stayed in a while (we typically do Homewood Suites, Doubletree or the Hilton for points) plus the double shower should save us a ton of time. Hopefully the heated water is enough for some pool time enjoyment in December.

We have also stayed at the RI convention center which is awesome for the suites (big, full kitchen) and free full breakfast, but even with a suite our kids were 3 to a sofa bed.

Note that the RI also has a more expensive suite (I think it is called the Family or Kids suite) that has a separate room/bathroom for the kids. So one bedroom with two queens + one living room with pull-out couch + kids room with bunk beds means no one would need a sofa bed. Plus the two full size bathrooms is amazing. You pay for those rooms though.

We really liked the Soringhill Suites for 6 people. Bunk beds, price was reasonable, decent breakfast and walk isn’t far.
And the Springhill on Katella is located right over the 24/7 CVS and is near a Starbucks (next to the Walgreens across the street) and a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

I realize there is an entire thread on this but noticed a lot of responses and postings are from over a year ago...We are a family of 6 (4 kids 16, 13, 7, 2) planning a trip to DL in March. We have been one other time about 6 years ago and stayed at DLH. Unfortunately none of the on site resorts fit us unless we are willing to spend a small fortune, which we are not. So I am looking for advice on a hotel within a short walking distance that is comfortable, clean, nice, and has rooms that can fit a family of our size. The Courtyard Anaheim and Hyatt Place at Anaheim Convention Center have caught my eye. Any feedback on these resorts or any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!!

we are a family of 6 and have tried many options around DL. We’ve been doing the Hyatt house most of the time for the past few years even though the walk is longer because it was newer and served a decent breakfast. The springhill suites across the street is an equal option. We haven’t stayed at the courtyard Marriott yet b/c it’s always priced a bit higher, in which case I’d rather just stay at a DL hotel. We haven’t liked the popular options down by the toy story lot (homewood suites) because the bus just takes too long for us (would rather walk). Technically, when your kids are still little, you can squeeze into a Disney room. It’s tight but I still prefer it. Your youngest can probably still go in the pack n play? Or put your two smallest on the daybed.

Who has slept on some of these pullout sofa beds? I noticed a lot of these suites or rooms that can sleep five or six rely on pullouts. I get worried about these because frankly even a decent sized kid won’t be that comfortable sleeping on some of these for several nights. Anyone care to chime in on who has the best and worst pullout mattresses?

Who has slept on some of these pullout sofa beds? I noticed a lot of these suites or rooms that can sleep five or six rely on pullouts. I get worried about these because frankly even a decent sized kid won’t be that comfortable sleeping on some of these for several nights. Anyone care to chime in on who has the best and worst pullout mattresses?

Completely agree. Most of them are typical, awful pullouts that don’t really work for kids older than 8, IMO. The only ones I like are Disney’s daybed things....they are small, but at least they are more comfortable/substantial then those awful tri-fold pull-out couches

My son who is 26 is sleeping on the pull out at the Best Western mini suites he says it’s ok but I have not tried it.

we are a family of 6 and have tried many options around DL. We’ve been doing the Hyatt house most of the time for the past few years even though the walk is longer because it was newer and served a decent breakfast. The springhill suites across the street is an equal option. We haven’t stayed at the courtyard Marriott yet b/c it’s alway priced a bit higher, in which case I’d rather just stay at a DL hotel. We haven’t liked the popular options down by the toy story lot (homewood suites) because the bus just takes too long for us (would rather walk). Technically, when your kids are still little, you can squeeze into a Disney room. It’s tight but I still prefer it. Your youngest can probably still go in the pack n play? Or put your two smallest on the daybed.
I was wondering about this...fitting into a Disney resort room. The baby would still be in a pack and play. We are East coasters coming out to visit family and decided to spend 3 nights at DL. We have been to DW many times and when making reservations there we can all squeeze into a room that sleeps 5. Right now we don’t mind doing that as most of our time is not spent in the room. We are a go go family. However when making reservations here it does not allow me to fit all of us in an site resort room that sleeps 5.
we are a family of 6 and have tried many options around DL. We’ve been doing the Hyatt house most of the time for the past few years even though the walk is longer because it was newer and served a decent breakfast. The springhill suites across the street is an equal option. We haven’t stayed at the courtyard Marriott yet b/c it’s always priced a bit higher, in which case I’d rather just stay at a DL hotel. We haven’t liked the popular options down by the toy story lot (homewood suites) because the bus just takes too long for us (would rather walk). Technically, when your kids are still little, you can squeeze into a Disney room. It’s tight but I still prefer it. Your youngest can probably still go in the pack n play? Or put your two smallest on the daybed.

Hi all! We’re a family of 4 - me, husband, daughter (23) and son (16) - taking a trip to Cali/Grand Canyon/Vegas in early June next year. We‘re pretty versed in WDW, but this will be our first trip to Disneyland. We will have 2 park days and want to stay close to the parks. Not necessarily on property, just close by. We’ll need 2 beds and a sleeper sofa. Any recommendations or opinions on lodging? Thanks!

Just as an FYI, our itinerary for our trip looks like this in case anyone wants to chime in with Cali tips. My husband and I have been to Vegas a few times.

Friday - fly in to Cali late afternoon - hotel and dinner
Saturday - Santa Monica Pier/Venice Beach/Pacific Coast Hwy with stops at other beaches or points of interest - just when we see something we want to stop for
Sunday - Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Etc. area tour (6 hour bus tour), not sure what else yet.
Monday - Disneyland
Tuesday - Disneyland
Wednesday - Morning flight to Las Vegas, Vegas strip - things both our son and daughter want to do, Cirque show that night
Thursday - Bus tour to South Rim of the Grand Canyon
Friday - Valley of Fire tour, daughter flies home early evening, us and our son are going to see a magic show that night
Saturday - Vegas strip - things our son has requested to do (plus the Pawn Stars shop - yes we've been and it isn't much, but our son wants to see it), fly home late that night

Last edited:
Since you have a teenage son, Best Western Park Place Inn. No contest. Why? Free hot breakfast every day. And it's <5 min walk to the main gates of both parks.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/ This might help. BWPPI and homewood suites convention, for example are usually the same price. Trade off: uber ride or 20 min commute (walk or walk + free toy story shuttle) to the gate.

We’re at HS in June.

I’ve stayed at both hotels I mentioned. BWPPI last Dec. Too loud. I feel like a hotel snob on these boards because i cannot tolerate motels anymore.

Last weekend dh and i stayed at DLH for anniversary/dapper days. I agree-no need for onsite. I will be more than happy at HS. Daily free hot breakfast that is edible. (BWPPI is meh. I literally couldn’t swallow the powdered eggs. But I was happy woth yogurt and cereal. ) If you’re there mid-week they also have free dinners w/wine & beer m-th.

I might switch your Sunday and Monday plans. Monday is one of the busiest days in the parks. What dates are you there?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/ This might help. BWPPI and homewood suites convention, for example are usually the same price. Trade off: uber ride or 20 min commute (walk or walk + free toy story shuttle) to the gate.

We’re at HS in June.

I’ve stayed at both hotels I mentioned. BWPPI last Dec. Too loud. I feel like a hotel snob on these boards because i cannot tolerate motels anymore.

Last weekend dh and i stayed at DLH for anniversary/dapper days. I agree-no need for onsite. I will be more than happy at HS. Daily free hot breakfast that is edible. (BWPPI is meh. I literally couldn’t swallow the powdered eggs. But I was happy woth yogurt and cereal. ) If you’re there mid-week they also have free dinners w/wine & beer m-th.

I get the hotel snob thing because I’m definitely one. I really hate to say that, but it’s true...I’m owning up to it, lol. I research FOREVER before I book somewhere no matter if it’s a resort at Disney, a hotel in a city, or a condo at the beach. My husband usually wants to throttle me by the time I’m done. BUT, he always appreciates where we stay, so.... :surfweb: lol.

June 1st and 2nd will be the park days. We’re open to close people and plan to get the Maxpass if that helps!
I just checked the ap blockout calendar. May not make much difference those days.

The 31st is a grad night so I’d stick with your days. Just Know that mondays can be quite packed, hard to walk.

Oh yeah...others to look at
Hyatt house
Cambria
Springhill suites convention center
Residence inn convention
Courtyard by Marriott theme park entrance(closest offsite *hotel*)
Country inn and suites

We've rotated around the convention hotels mostly and then tried out Fairfield and then BW motels. While we LOVED the proximity, definitely have also turned into a hotel snob.....so we did the DISboards thing --- got into VGC today! :) Mouse gonna make me a poor man -

We stayed at Hyatt House back in September. If you don’t mind an approx 12 minute walk you should check it out. I did tons of research and we were very happy with our stay. If we needed something with a shorter walk Best Western was our second choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter