Choosing between Rides and Resorts (GF or Contemporary)

vivigrace611

Earning My Ears
I'm deciding whether to switch from the Grand Floridian to the Contemporary to reallocate money to a VIP tour in the parks.

----

Our family is booked for a March 2025 stay at the Grand Floridian, which is a resort I'm enthralled by. On our first trip in 2023, I recall riding the monorail past the GF and being awestruck by the architectural beauty of the facade. I saw guests splashing around the pool and realized that people enjoyed Disney beyond theme park grounds.

Yet, I'm contemplating switching to the Contemporary.

I calculated that if I were to switch us over to an equivalent package, then we'd save several thousands of dollars. I could put that money toward a one-day VIP tour. I fared well on our first trip at booking Lightning Lanes on Genie+, but spring break is a very competitive time to be in the parks. My kids love rides and not having to break a sweat over missing the 7 am Slinky Dog LL drop sounds very appealing.

My kids and husband would be perfectly happy staying at the Contemporary, where we stayed on our first trip. Our meals at Chef Mickey's, California Grill and Steakhouse 71 were great. They loved the stroll to Magic Kingdom and having an incredible view of the fireworks from our rooms.

I prefer the GF for its elegant, on-holiday atmosphere, and we have two resort days planned on a 9-day trip. The Mary Poppins rooms appear bright and airy. My kids would have a ton of fun on the Mad Hatter Splash Pad. I'd plan for a dinner at Narcoosee's and a character breakfast at 1900 Park Fair. We can take the short walking path along the water to MK.

Should I optimize for a new resort experience and stay at the GF? Or, optimize for the theme park experience w/a VIP tour and stay at the Contemporary a second time?

Have you asked your family what they would like to do? You may also want to wait to see what kinds of discounts are released for your travel dates as, if your current GF room category is included in a discount, you may be able to modify, save some money. You may also want to consider simply downgrading your room category at GF to save some money. IMHO, there isn't a bad room category at GF and we've had many wonderful stays in non-TPV rooms.

For me, especially with a 9 night stay, I would want to be in a resort I know I'm really going to enjoy for such a long stay. You will also have plenty of time to explore the parks during such a long stay. Personally, I would be more apt to spend more on the resort, in this case, than a VIP tour, but we aren't park commandos and really enjoy our resort time.

Sure. Theme park view, two rooms with request for connecting CR vs GF.

Got it, thanks. Like the PP at quick glance I’m a little surprised the price difference is “in the thousands” between the two, but I guess it’s your long trip.

I’ll give the annoying unsolicited opinion that I’d eventually get tired of even my favorite Disney resort for a 9 day stay….but that aside, I think I would lean GF. As you envision, my kids spent HOURS and HOURS at that splash pad and us parents enjoyed many a pleasant day/evening around both pools. I love CR as a resort but the pools just don’t compare.

GF overall feels like a better “settle in for a long stay” spot to me.

The only thing I don’t totally love about GF is access to Epcot - but CR has similar attributes so if you’re used to that or drive yourself/use other options, then minimal impact.

I don’t think you can make a wrong choice since you’ve done CR and liked it, but I think ultimately I’d go GF. I think.

Since y’all seem to like to walk, the Poly path will be open by then (unless the tower is delayed) which really expands options within short distance, plus whatever new may be added with the tower.

That said we stayed at Poly on repeat like half a dozen times when we first started going since we knew it fit our family and I was scared to change/potentially waste money on something we didn’t like, so I understand the appeal of sticking to what you know, with the bonus of the extra funds for park splurges.

Good luck deciding!

Non-club level in both cases. The price difference between GF and CR is about $3,875 for my dates across both rooms. While it wouldn't cover the cost of the entire VIP tour, it would be a big contribution towards it.
Considering it's 9 nights and 2 rooms, that's a reasonable price difference. The word "several" led me to expect more like twice that difference, which is why I wasn't sure if the rooms were comparable. I'm a big fan of The Contemporary, but your reasons for staying at The Grand Floridian are compelling. In your shoes, I think it would come down to how badly I wanted the VIP tour. If the trip were shorter I'd probably lean toward CR and VIP, but with 9 days, you're going to have a lot of time to do everything in the parks. I feel like being at the resort that's a better fit for your family really matters on a longer trip.

I agree with the PP above that suggested downgrading view types at GF. While I would make the case that TPV at CR is worth it, I don’t feel the same at GF. I mean, sure, I won’t be complaining with a GF TPV room, but the other cheaper options are just as nice, in my humble opinion. Slicing the onion thin here, but GFs angle towards MK just isn’t as stunning/exciting as CR.

Have you asked your family what they would like to do? You may also want to wait to see what kinds of discounts are released for your travel dates as, if your current GF room category is included in a discount, you may be able to modify, save some money. You may also want to consider simply downgrading your room category at GF to save some money. IMHO, there isn't a bad room category at GF and we've had many wonderful stays in non-TPV rooms.

For me, especially with a 9 night stay, I would want to be in a resort I know I'm really going to enjoy for such a long stay. You will also have plenty of time to explore the parks during such a long stay. Personally, I would be more apt to spend more on the resort, in this case, than a VIP tour, but we aren't park commandos and really enjoy our resort time.
Thanks for weighing in @Marthasor - We have a TA keeping an eye out on discounts, and I agree with you there isn't a bad view. My husband's loose preference was to go back to what we know works. His one request was theme park view because he loved seeing the fireworks from the room at the Contemporary. For this trip, we purposely added two resort days from having no resort days our first trip, so we definitely want to enjoy it. Thanks again.

Agreeing with what a lot of people said already, you can’t make too wrong a choice here. Both will be great resorts. Like others, I’m always afraid to try something knew bc of cost, disappointment if we don’t love it, etc. and always end up at our old (beloved) standbys. I’m still curious that there is such a price difference btwn the two, I know that the tpv room at gf is even more astronomical than cr though. (Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a garden wing or something). I know they are both are monorail resorts so you wouldn’t really be getting a change of scenery, but would you consider doing a split stay—4 nights at cr get chef Mickey and ca grill in and then switch to gf and relax and enjoy the pools there, etc.?

Last edited:
Got it, thanks. Like the PP at quick glance I’m a little surprised the price difference is “in the thousands” between the two, but I guess it’s your long trip.

I’ll give the annoying unsolicited opinion that I’d eventually get tired of even my favorite Disney resort for a 9 day stay….but that aside, I think I would lean GF. As you envision, my kids spent HOURS and HOURS at that splash pad and us parents enjoyed many a pleasant day/evening around both pools. I love CR as a resort but the pools just don’t compare.

GF overall feels like a better “settle in for a long stay” spot to me.

The only thing I don’t totally love about GF is access to Epcot - but CR has similar attributes so if you’re used to that or drive yourself/use other options, then minimal impact.

I don’t think you can make a wrong choice since you’ve done CR and liked it, but I think ultimately I’d go GF. I think.

Since y’all seem to like to walk, the Poly path will be open by then (unless the tower is delayed) which really expands options within short distance, plus whatever new may be added with the tower.

That said we stayed at Poly on repeat like half a dozen times when we first started going since we knew it fit our family and I was scared to change/potentially waste money on something we didn’t like, so I understand the appeal of sticking to what you know, with the bonus of the extra funds for park splurges.

Good luck deciding!
Appreciate your fresh perspective!

I was leaning all the way over to GF then you described the fireworks without the wow. That's the number one thing my husband and kids loved about the Contemporary. Lol. So many tradeoffs. You're absolutely right that I can't go wrong. I think my guide post will be where can I envision having the best vacation ever for nine whole days. Thank you!

Appreciate your fresh perspective!

I was leaning all the way over to GF then you described the fireworks without the wow. That's the number one thing my husband and kids loved about the Contemporary. Lol. So many tradeoffs. You're absolutely right that I can't go wrong. I think my guide post will be where can I envision having the best vacation ever for nine whole days. Thank you!
I can't think of any better "guide post"!

Agreeing with what a lot of people said already, you can’t make too wrong a choice here. Both will be great resorts. Like others, I’m always afraid to try something knew bc of cost, disappointment if we don’t love it, etc. and always end up at our old (beloved) standbys. I’m still curious that there is such a price difference btwn the two, it I know that the tpv room at gf is even more astronomical than cr. (Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a garden wing or something). I know they are both. Monorail resort so you wouldn’t really be getting a change of scenery, but would you consider doing a split stay—4 nights at cr get chef Mickey and ca grill in and then switch to gf and relax and enjoy the pools there, etc.
Yes, Contemporary was such a win the first time around. It does set the expectations high for the next resort. While I would be up for changing scenery, my husband has vetoed split stays out of the gate. I definitely see your point.

FYI: They're both TPV, non-club level rooms and the price difference was roughly $245/night between GF and CR. The difference adds up over the course of the stay and over two rooms.

I agree with the PP above that suggested downgrading view types at GF. While I would make the case that TPV at CR is worth it, I don’t feel the same at GF. I mean, sure, I won’t be complaining with a GF TPV room, but the other cheaper options are just as nice, in my humble opinion. Slicing the onion thin here, but GFs angle towards MK just isn’t as stunning/exciting as CR.
CR (tpv) is the only time that I’ll actually pay extra for a certain view at Disney.

Yes, Contemporary was such a win the first time around. It does set the expectations high for the next resort. While I would be up for changing scenery, my husband has vetoed split stays out of the gate. I definitely see your point.

FYI: They're both TPV, non-club level rooms and the price difference was roughly $245/night between GF and CR. The difference adds up over the course of the stay and over two rooms.
Wow, that’s a big difference. Didn’t realize that GF had gotten so high for that room category. I can see how that adds up. For that price difference you could probably add club level on to your CR room.

Btw, how many people in your travel party?

I don't blame your hubs for saying no to a split stay. You don't mention your children's ages but since they're the age to enjoy a splash pad I have a general idea. We just did our first split stay two weeks ago. We did 2 nights in a suite at CR and then moved to another resort for a longer stay. It was extremely easy for us but we lived out of our suitcases for those first two days, were careful not to accumulate anything, and it was just the two of us. I wouldn't have enjoyed it with small kids.

Wow, that’s a big difference. Didn’t realize that GF had gotten so high for that room category. I can see how that adds up. For that price difference you could probably add club level on to your CR room.
Remember though, OP is talking about two rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter