Choosing a Baby Name

When I was at a doctor's appointment shortly after Lydia was born, there was a baby there name Asterisk, like the punctuation mark, his sister was named Toyota.

Toyota? Wow....:rolleyes: Maybe I should have gone with Volvo for mine?

My daughter's name is Lydia, too. I like it because it's familiar but not to popular either. Nice, sturdy name.

My best friend's DBIL named all of his children after Star Wars characters. He's even got a Kenobie (girl) and one has the middle name of Skywalker! :laughing:

I also have a cousin with an interesting name: Elvis! Let's just say her Grandma was not too happy with that choice!

My neices name is Tessa, in honor of me. :goodvibes I love the name!
I'm beginning to hear this name more on children, and not just on TV. The other day I met 2 moms, one with anther Tessa like mine and one whose daughter had the middle name Tess (and first name Lydia!).

BTW, I love all of the names you've chosen for your children.

I'm beginning to hear this name more on children, and not just on TV. The other day I met 2 moms, one with anther Tessa like mine and one whose daughter had the middle name Tess (and first name Lydia!).

BTW, I love all of the names you've chosen for your children.

Now, that is a pretty cool name! My Lydia and my sister's Tessa are exactly, to the day, 3 months apart. They are best friends. I will tell them there is a little girl running around out there with both their names! (well almost, but close enough!)

When we named our daughter Arminda, people would CONSTANTLY ask what we were going to call her. It kind of drove me crazy. I told you her name was Arminda, THAT'S what we are calling her! One of my DH's aunts actually said, "Well, I guess it's up to you." I tell you, I had to REALLY restrain myself with that one. I just replied, "Yes, it is."

The most common "joke" I got while pregnant with Arminda was, "Are you going to call her Army!" Then, they would laugh hysterically, as if they were the most clever person on the planet. I tell you, after about the fifth person did that, my icey glare shut them up pretty quick. Don't mess with a pregnant lady!

Thankfully, Arminda loves her name, and the uniqueness of it. I think it helps that she was named after her Great-Great Grandma (my Grandpa's Mom).

My daughter's name is Lydia, too. I like it because it's familiar but not to popular either. Nice, sturdy name.

My best friend's DBIL named all of his children after Star Wars characters. He's even got a Kenobie (girl) and one has the middle name of Skywalker! :laughing:

I also have a cousin with an interesting name: Elvis! Let's just say her Grandma was not too happy with that choice!

Yes, Volvo, and maybe Comma for a middle name! :rotfl2: No, really, I like the name you picked MUCH better! :thumbsup2

My DD's name is Rhiannon, but we pronounce it with a long I sound instead of a long E. Just don't go for a name that sounds "cute" at the time. My brother's wife's kids from a previous marriage named their DD Snow. And of course if you didn't guess their last name is White. So now my brother is Snow White's grandpa. True Story:rotfl:

That's too funny! I have to wonder what some people are thinking sometimes.

DD has a 'Hunter Forrest' (Forrest is last name) in her class.

I am a photographer and had a 'Jasmine'....which I think is a beautiful name. I commented on it to the little girl (About 3) how I loved that name and it reminded me of the Jasmine form Aladin. Well guess what mom says! Her MIDDLE name is Jasmine. And that's what she goes by. First name is....you guessed it....PRINCESS! This poor child was named Princess Jasmine! :scared: (Mom sounds embarrased by it and says that dad insisted on the name and didn't know anything about the Disney Jasmine...:headache: )

A friend's Brother and his wife named their new baby 'Beau Hunter'. :rotfl2: :lmao:

I really shouldn't laugh since these kids will no doubt be picked on, but...

...WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING?!? :sad2:

Oh, and I sholdn't forget the woman who came in to have her sons pics done. She was telling me about her other 2 kids that weren't there named 'Handsome' and 'beautiful'. :sad2: (I might could see one, but I don't think going with that theme to name your kids is a good idea. And seriously....what if that kid turns out to be a BUTT UGLY adult?!? :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

A kid at a school I subbed at was names A'Lexus. :lmao:

On the subject of popular names, we named DD Michaela. (We very seldom see that spelling though....usually the more phonetic varieties...mikayla, Mykala, Mikalah...) Didn't know it was popular. Only reason I knew it existed was from watching Dr Quinn as a child. (They thought her name was 'Michael A' Quinn and were expecting a man doctor when she came to town) Though she was NOT named after a TV show! LOL! She was named after my dad because we thought she'd be our last child. (He's a michael) Yeah, it's common, but not the spelling at least. Everybody decided to be *diffferent* and spell it differently. (One dad even told me this....that they wanted her name to be different fromthe others and how he wishes they'd stuck to the michael spelling so it owuld have been different) Turns out they just made my traditional spelling more uncommon. :thumbsup2

My 3rd...He's a Liam. We only know one other. Though I've met a few through work. Most ANNOYING thing is that everyone who's heard of the name assumes that he's named after Liam Neeson. :confused3 He's named after my maiden name.

1st child is a *the 3rd*. No originality there. ;)

And make sure that you check the spelling of your DC's initials before you decide on a name. We really liked Francesca for our first, but ended up going with a different name. With our second DD, since DD#1 has MILs name as her middle name, we were planning on using my mother's name, Ann, as DD#2's middle name. Our last name begins with a G, so Francesca Ann G would be her name. You do the math.

With AG, we had to be careful (SAG, RAG, NAG, etc.).

We picked a different first name.

I am a photographer and had a 'Jasmine'....which I think is a beautiful name. I commented on it to the little girl (About 3) how I loved that name and it reminded me of the Jasmine form Aladin. Well guess what mom says! Her MIDDLE name is Jasmine. And that's what she goes by. First name is....you guessed it....PRINCESS! This poor child was named Princess Jasmine! :scared: (Mom sounds embarrased by it and says that dad insisted on the name and didn't know anything about the Disney Jasmine...:headache: )

A friend's Brother and his wife named their new baby 'Beau Hunter'. :rotfl2: :lmao:

Oh, and I sholdn't forget the woman who came in to have her sons pics done. She was telling me about her other 2 kids that weren't there named 'Handsome' and 'beautiful'. :sad2: (I might could see one, but I don't think going with that theme to name your kids is a good idea. And seriously....what if that kid turns out to be a BUTT UGLY adult?!? :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I hear you on that...my little sister's grade school best friend was named Purity Love...let's just say that Purity she was not...that girl was smoking and drinking by the time she was 12 and of course, pregnant by 17. She was naughty even as a child! She was known all over the grade school as "the little girl who bites and draws blood"...:rolleyes:

I think this is such an era of celebrities giving their kid goofball names...Moxie Crimefighter for instance...is that a family name? Yeah, I don't think so. Apple and Moses I can understand...(I knew a girl called Apple when I was young...her middle name was BLOSSUM!!:lmao: I actually thought it was pretty though) But Moxie Crimefighter?! Or the Zappa kids...Moon Unit, Dweezil (named after a WART on his mother's toe), Ahmet and Diva...

I'm all for originality...but sometimes parents don't think about something that seems funny or quirky at the time might effect their child later on...I've known a Princess and a set of twins called Melody and Harmony. People teased them endlessly and kids can be pretty vicious...it has lasting effects.

:rotfl:

I know a family that named their daughters Thankful, Patience and Tuesday....

Picking names was hard, i remember knowing what i liked but knowing i had to like the name forever...
our oldest daughter is JAYME ELIZABETH(had she been a boy it would have been MATTHEW and we also like DANIKA as another girl nam
My son is KOLE ERIK WILLIAM...we were gonna name him nikkole if had been a girl(nikki for short) but jayme couldnt say it and kept saying kole, and that is how we chose his name
Our youngest daughter is KYANA (pronounced keyanna)KRYSTENE, she would have been LOGAN had she been a boy, and i also like RYLEE as a girls name for her

All my kids have middle names after relatives..i still love their names(they are 16, 13, and 11)....The most common one i think is jayme, there are at least 2 in her grade...
sharon
me, dh, dd-16-:cheer2:, ds-almost 14-:goofy:, dd-11 1/2-:tink:
WDW-Dec 04-first disney experience for my DH, DD, DS, DD and first time at WDW for us all
DL-MAY 06-first time at DL for DH and kids , and my 9th(but the first 8 were all by the time i was about 13) so it was all new to me
:cool1: COUNTDOWN IS ON....WE ARE GOING BACK TO DL SEPT 15-25!!!!!

My name is Jessica, but my mom calls me Jessa.

Jessa Jade.
I love that name.<- mine.

Or Alekzander.
Brennen.
Delilah.
Delia.
Roxanne, or Roxie.
Ashland.
Keagan.
Teagan.

Something like those.

My sister's name (4yo) is Temper Tatiana Miller Paine.

I like classic names and do not worry if they are too popular or not.
Since DH and I are Michael and Jennifer, we are used to common names:rotfl: I think both were number 1 for a zillion years in the 60's and 70's when we were born. My freshmen cheer leading squad alone had 3 Jennifer's on it and there were only 6 of us!!:rotfl: Honestly though, it never bothered me.
My kids are simply Emma (12) and Owen (10), I figure they are good, strong names that will age with them and never feel trendy. It is just hard for me to picture some of the names I see as a teacher on older adults:rotfl:

we went the different name route and now have met 2 other girls who were born just a few months after DD with the same name. We just gave her my middle name, which she thinks is pretty cool.
My husband really loved the name Hunter but thought it was becoming too popular so it is my sons middle name, the trick was finding a name to go with it.

My name is Jessica, but my mom calls me Jessa.

Jessa Jade.
I love that name.<- mine.

My sister's name (4yo) is Temper Tatiana Miller Paine.

One of my husband's sisters let her daughter, pick the name out for her baby sister. The daughter's name is Jessica, guess what name she picked out for her baby sister??? Yep, Jessa! I love the nickname Jessa and I love it for a first name, but really, WHAT was my SIL thinking going along with that? It isn't as confusing now as it was at the start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter