• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Child with brace - TSA Screening?

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
We'll be traveling for the first time since my daughter got her back brace for scoliosis. The brace is mostly plastic but it does have a bit of metal for the hook and loop closures, so I'm not sure if it will set off the metal detector. I looked at the TSA website and it didn't say much. Does anyone know if she sets off the alarm will they just wand her, or will they make her take it off to go through the x-ray? She can take it off if absolutely necessary (she wears a tank under it) but I'd rather not as it's not the easiest to get on again if you aren't laying down. Do we say something before the screening so they know? I know TSA needs to do their thing and we'll 100% cooperate but just trying to know what to expect. We're flying from O'Hare and returning from MCO (obviously) if anyone has experience at these specific airports.

You can request she be wanded.i believe. I am sure it depends on the TSA agent, but I would not offer up that she can take the brace off. They are a huge hassle to get on and off. I wore a brace for 11 years, but prior to 9/11, and I was patted or wanded. My mom's fake knee sets off the metal detector and they just wand her. Oddly enough the metal rods in my back don't set anything off.

My daughter was given a full chest to thigh pat down in private screening because of her brace. She was 11 and was uncomfortable with the agents who were doing it. One of the agents remarked to me when we were cleared to have her take it off before security to avoid that next time.

My daughter used to wear AFOs, which I realize is not the same thing but are made of similar material, I believe. We would just alert the agents and they would give her a once-over with the wand. She was still of an age young enough to keep her shoes on, and removing and resetting her AFOs and shoes would have been a pain, so this worked well enough for us. The location of the AFO braces made this fairly non-invasive, but I understand that back brace is different.

I am sure this is obvious and probably a rule with a child, but you should be present while anything is done. Maybe you can have a signal your daughter gives you if she is in anyway uncomfortable. I was so used to being poked and prodded and cinched and molded and casted by my doctors and PT (who were all wonderful) that I didn't mind the occasional pat down, but obviously everyone is different.

Tell the screener right away that she is wearing a medical device. She most likely would not be going through the xray but the AIT scanner which will certainly ping on the brace.

Thank you everyone! I'll talk to her about what to expect, including the possibility of a pat-down and if she doesn't like the idea of it, we can just carry it through security and have it x-rayed, and we'll deal with putting in on in the restroom after we through security.

I came through the TSA pre-check line at MCO two weeks ago. They had two different machines to walk through. One was for people with any metal in them. Sounds like that would be perfect for your daughter. I have no idea where those are available.

TSA has the following information on their website at https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

Prosthesis, Cast, Support Brace, Sling, Support Appliance​

Inform the TSA Officer

Inform the TSA officer if you have a prosthetic, cast, support brace, sling or support appliance and require assistance with the screening process. You may provide the officer with the TSA notification card or other medical documentation to describe your condition.

Screening in Standard Lanes

Passengers with prostheses, casts, support braces, slings or support appliances can be screened by advanced imaging technology, or a pat-down. If the standard lane does not have advanced imaging technology, you cannot hold a proper stance for advanced imaging technology screening or if you are eligible for expedited screening, you may be screened by a walk-through metal detector.

The prosthesis, cast, support brace, sling or support appliance is subject to additional screening, which may include screening of the device and/or hands for explosives and screening by a hand-held metal detector on non-metallic devices. If your support brace alarms, you will need to remove it for X-ray screening.

You will not be required to remove your prosthesis, cast, sling or support appliance; however, these devices are subject to additional screening, including visual inspection. Screening involving a sensitive area may be conducted in private with a companion or other individual of your choice.

You may voluntarily remove your prosthesis, cast, support brace, sling or support appliance prior to screening and submit it for X-ray screening. You may also request a private screening at any time.

Screening in TSA PreCheck® Lanes

Passengers with prostheses, casts, support braces, sling, or support appliances in TSA PreCheck® lanes can be screened by advanced imaging technology (if available), walk-through metal detector or a pat-down.

If the prosthesis, cast, support brace, sling or support appliance alarms during screening, you will be required to conduct a self pat-down of the device, followed by testing of your hands for explosives and screening by a hand-held metal detector for non-metallic devices.

If you are unable to conduct a self pat-down of your device, TSA officers will test your hands for explosives and conduct screening with a hand-held metal detector for non-metallic devices. TSA officers will resolve positive tests using other screening methods including a full pat-down and inspection of your property. If your support brace alarms during this process, you will need to remove it for additional screening. Pat-downs are conducted by a TSA officer of the same gender.

Screening involving a sensitive area may be conducted in private with a companion or other individual of your choice. You may request screening in private at any time.

END QUOTE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter