Chicago- where to stay?

bella77

Mouseketeer
My family is planning a short trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks, and I have no idea what area is best to stay in. Of course, we don't want to break the bank, but we want to be close to fun stuff! Does anyone have suggestions? I've gotten some great ideas for things to do from other threads, so I know you guys are knowledgeable! TIA

I like staying on Michigan Ave. I would use betterbidding.com and then hotwire or priceline to get a decent hotel on Michigan Ave. We used that a few years ago to score a room at the Intercontinental Hotel. It was very nice ;)

Remember if you're driving, you'll need to check into parking. It runs about $50/night at many of the hotels.

Thanks! I had no idea that parking would be that expensive. We will be driving, so I'll have to budget that in. I'll start scouring the Internet today!

When my family comes to visit they usually book with hotwire.com. For neighborhood/area choices on their map I'd suggest Magnificent Mile - Streeterville, North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast and Chicago Loop - Millenium Park - Grant Park.

As stated above, these hotels all charge a ton for parking. I would not recommend staying at hotels by the airport or in the burbs. Chicago traffic stinks and it can easily turn into 3 hours or more per day in travel. "Rush hour" is really the better part of the day, and baseball games and festivals can really mess things up too. If the president comes to visit you're really up a creek. (I was recently working downtown with a couple who decided to save money by booking a room in the suburbs. The president came to town. What is usually a 45 minute drive without traffic, was being reported on the radio as being over 3 hours. They weren't happy at all.)

The other option I would recommend are some B&B's in my neighborhood. www.twourns.com, www.wickerparkinn.com, and (this one doesn't come with breakfast) http://web.rubyroom.com/inn.aspx The neighborhood is fabulous, you'll be close to a lot of wonderful things, and I don't think any of them charge for parking.

We stayed at the Four Points on Rush St. last year. It's just off Michigan Ave., near the Water Tower. Great location. We got a package deal that included parking and breakfast (via gift cards to the nice little bakery/cafe next door) and an American Girl doll bed + cookies (was part of the package :)) for around $150. They also had a fridge and microwave- and there was a Trader Joes in the same building. Had we been there any longer than just overnight, we'd have gotten some frozen meals there to pop into the micro to save a little money.

We walked to Navy Pier (was a little bit of a hike, but doable)- took a boat ride, went to Childrens Museum and generally just looked around. (And we also went to American Girl store- just a couple blocks away.)

I was in Chicago last month and was very pleased with the hotel I won through priceline. I got the 4* Millennium knickerbocker for $90 a night. It was close to manythings and the staff was great. The concierge was very helpful with our questions and making reservations. Rooms are newly updated. I would give Priceline a try.

Last year we stayed in Skokie at The Doubletree (I think it was on the red line). It was a distance, but my kids loved riding the "L" so they didn't complain. I don't remember what we paid per night, but we had free parking and a free sit down breakfast at their restaurant.

Thanks to the OP and the responses. I was just getting on to ask the same question. Trying to plan a trip for my inlaws and haven't traveled there enough to know.

You could call starwood (1-888-625-5144) and ask the agent to find you a good deal. They have 3 or 4 properties in the Michigan Mile area. Its better if you try to find your hotel a month or 2 in advance. Last minute reservations tend to cost more. The birth year promotion is a good one if you are staying 3 days. You pay regular price the 1st night and your year of birth the 2nd and 3rd night (example 1975 = $75)

Haha such a good idea to pay by date of birth :)
I just wonder how long they are going to promote that. Soon the children born after 2000 will be adults...

I was in Chicago last month and was very pleased with the hotel I won through priceline. I got the 4* Millennium knickerbocker for $90 a night. It was close to manythings and the staff was great. The concierge was very helpful with our questions and making reservations. Rooms are newly updated. I would give Priceline a try.

I stayed at this hotel last June and it was very nice. The location was great. My MIL booked 2 rooms (I think through Priceline too) and got a great rate. We were in Chicago for my DD's 13th birthday. We did LOTS of shopping! :faint:

Have a nice visit to Chicago!

We stayed at the Springhill Suites on N. Dearborn in April, paid $118/night through AAA. It was a little bit away from the "action" (Michigan Ave, Navy Pier, etc) but DH and I enjoyed the walking immensely. We didn't even have a rental car; we took public transportation if we considered the walk to be too far or it was too late. To us, it was incredible seeing the city on foot.
Don't miss the SkyDeck! I was surprised that I actually walked out on it but you just cannot pass that opportunity up! We also did one of the architecture tours on the Chicago River, and we did it at night - it was awesome. We did Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue, a another boat tour, a trolley tour....definitely took advantage of the touristy things. Brought our 6YO DD a souvenir from the AG Doll store (for her AND her doll). And Garretts - you must get a popcorn ball! :)

It is funny that people say do not stay in the 'burbs...that is where we always stay! We use priceline and get a room for under $50 and parking is free. The drive into the city is only about an hour. We stay in the Schaumburg area and they have everything that we want to see or eat downtown, but it is not as expensive. We drive into the city on the weekend when we can find a spot on the street and park for free.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We'll have a car, but I've been looking at the public transportation maps. It seems like it would be easier to take that than to try to drive around a lot. We will be traveling with two little ones, 4 and 1. How hard is it to get a stroller on the bus or the train?

We stayed at the Springhill Suites on N. Dearborn in April, paid $118/night through AAA. It was a little bit away from the "action" (Michigan Ave, Navy Pier, etc) but DH and I enjoyed the walking immensely. We didn't even have a rental car; we took public transportation if we considered the walk to be too far or it was too late.
We also did one of the architecture tours on the Chicago River, and we did it at night - it was awesome. We did Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue, a another boat tour, a trolley tour....definitely took advantage of the touristy things.

I am suppose to plan a trip to Chicago for a couple days mid-July. Trying to save $$ where we can. How far is Springhill Suites from the "L" station??

What tour company did you use for the boat rides? Where do you pick up the trolley tour?

I've visited Chicago before, but we will have someone from South America with us who will be seeing it for the first time. We'd like to make the most of the two days for her but keep the costs as low as possible.

Any "fun" reasonably priced restaurants you can suggest?

It is funny that people say do not stay in the 'burbs...that is where we always stay! We use priceline and get a room for under $50 and parking is free. The drive into the city is only about an hour. We stay in the Schaumburg area and they have everything that we want to see or eat downtown, but it is not as expensive. We drive into the city on the weekend when we can find a spot on the street and park for free.

Just wondering where you can find a place to park on the street for free??? Maybe in Lincoln Park or places like that in the city, but downtown??

I wouldn't rule out staying in the burbs since it would often be cheaper and free parking. But I would take the L into the city and not drive.

Maggie

Let me start by saying I love to go to Chicago. I've been there several times for conventions and always have a great time.

But Chicago hotel prices are really high. You have to really do your homework if you are going to get a good deal.

You also have to be aware that a lot of the older hotels, which might be a good deal, have the smallest rooms I've ever seen in a hotel. We stayed at Hotel Cass years ago. Got a discount but I've never seen smaller hotel rooms. If you are going with a family it's something you need to be aware of.

The deals are out there, but you're going to have to work for them!

Just wondering where you can find a place to park on the street for free??? Maybe in Lincoln Park or places like that in the city, but downtown??

I wouldn't rule out staying in the burbs since it would often be cheaper and free parking. But I would take the L into the city and not drive.

Maggie

The metered spots are free on the weekends. Sometimes you have to drive for 30-40 minutes, but it works. We are usually on one of the side streets right off Michigan.

Also, a lot of garages have an early bird special where if you are in by 9 you pay around $12-$15.

The metered spots are free on the weekends. Sometimes you have to drive for 30-40 minutes, but it works. We are usually on one of the side streets right off Michigan.

Meters are not free on the weekends. Additionally, many more meters have been installed at my formerly favorite free parking areas and meter prices have gone up a lot. Expect to pay $1.50/hour in a regular neighborhood, and $3-5/hour in more desirable areas. I parked between Michigan Ave and Navy pier today and it was $3/hour.

Perhaps parking enforcement was more lax in the past, but it isn't anymore. It is now being run by a for-profit company and I constantly see meter maids writing tickets.

I'm glad that traffic has worked out in your favor in the past, but I honestly find no rhyme or reason to it. Just today I was running errands at about noon and was stuck in traffic with a reported time of 30 minutes to go less than 4 miles.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We'll have a car, but I've been looking at the public transportation maps. It seems like it would be easier to take that than to try to drive around a lot. We will be traveling with two little ones, 4 and 1. How hard is it to get a stroller on the bus or the train?

I take a stroller on the bus and train all the time. It isn't hard at all!

For the El I try to seek out handicapped accessible stations, as the stairways can be steep. It just makes it slightly more of a PITA.

The bus is easy-peasy. As long as it isn't crowded, I roll him right on, flip up one of the accessible seats and park him. If the bus is crowded, I'll fold up the stroller, sometimes leaving it on the shelf thing at the front and sometimes taking it with me. On the very busiest days they require strollers to be folded, but those days are very rare (mostly just when you're by the lake during a festival, Air & Water Show, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter