Chewbacca and Kylo Ren - Advice Needed!

We had great interactions during the Star Wars half in WDW. Chewie was great and I actually thanked him for all he's done (seriously, where did that come from). I had been warned about Kylo but had no idea. Don't try to touch him and the photographers get really into it. Our pictures with him looked like someone scared the crap out of us. Honestly some of the best character interactions we've had in a while.

We met Kylo Ren in Disneyland for the Visa M&G, but never made it to Chewie. We plan to do both in HS this December.

I have to say, Kylo Ren was intimidating! The vibe in the room was edgy and uncomfortable, but in a good, creepy way. I told him we would never turn to the dark side, and he got mad and stepped forward very menacingly and it made me take a step back. He got all up in our personal space staring us down. But then I also showed him my Alex and Ani bracelet with the rebel starbird on it, and the photopass photog caught it in a picture and it is hilarious! I look like a giant cow and the picture will never see the light of day, BUT he's leaning in looking at my wrist like he's super into my jewelry, LOL. It was just funny because the rest of the meet was so serious.

I had been planning to say so many things but he had us thrown off balance for sure.

I always ask Kylo to "say hi to Han for me" or "you are such a great son."

The handlers just look at me in disgust.

If you have a BB-8 merchandise, tell him you have the plans he's looking for.

then I also showed him my Alex and Ani bracelet with the rebel starbird on it, and the photopass photog caught it in a picture and it is hilarious! I look like a giant cow and the picture will never see the light of day, BUT he's leaning in looking at my wrist like he's super into my jewelry, LOL.
That made me snort-laugh.

When we met him Saturday, he just sort of stood there and stared at us. Didn't make a sound. He was nowhere near as intimidating as Darth Maul, who got so close to my face I could see the edges of his contacts.

Chewie was awesome as always.

I always ask Kylo to "say hi to Han for me" or "you are such a great son."

The handlers just look at me in disgust.

If you have a BB-8 merchandise, tell him you have the plans he's looking for.

You do know Han is dead?

Really? Am I the only one who thinks that this is messed up? Seriously? They were asked to leave?

There has to be more to the story..

Kylo Ren didn't talk to us at all. He just walked around staring at us. He really freaked my 3 year old daughter out. I mean she didn't cry, but she was about to, I kind of thought he would back off then, but he didn't. (Daddy was holding her). She was okay afterwards and said he must have been mad because she was wearing a BB-8 shirt. [If I had known he was going to be that serious, I would not have taken the 3 year olds to meet him]

I met Chewie with my older DS after the first Star Wars fireworks, it was PM EMH. We had our cups from the dessert party, and we had a good time with that. He opened the head and it was empty inside. The handlers told him not to worry because his head wasn't like that. He then let us on his secret that his head was like that.

Chewbacca was great! Have hugs and shook hands. And he got down to my sons level and hugged him and carried on about my sons droid shirt. He was just awesome!

Kylo Ren was (like another poster said) awkward. He just stares at you and you don't know what to do. And he doesn't get close. Just weird. He didn't like my Rey shirt so he commented on that. So I guess where a Star Wars theme shirt and then they interact with you more.

Meh. Kylo Ren was one of the most underwhelming character meet and greets we've ever done. The line moved rapidly. Once we got inside, it was pretty clear why. All the CMs were very abrupt and demanding, almost yelling at people to move. Kylo said some lines (which I never realized until now were pre-recorded). When we tried to interact with him, he made a "zip the lips" kind of hand motion. We had the obligatory photographs taken and were ushered out. All in all, it couldn't have been more than 45 seconds. Totally not worth repeating next year.

Nope. Haven't seen the movie yet and really wished you hadn't posted it. Just sayin'.

I didn't post the original spoiler, but in that person's defense, the movie has been out for 8 months total, and at least 3 or more on DVD/Blu-Ray. It's all part of the public consciousness. I'd expect that people have seen it, know the spoilers, or just don't care at this point in time.

I met them both (and Boba Fett) at Disneyland. I tried to joke with Kylo ("I heard the Dark Side has cookies. Where are they?") which cracked up the handlers, but Kylo was having none of it. I couldn't understand all of what he said to me, but once I realized he was Not Amused my heart started racing because he was indeed intimidating.

Chewie nearly smothered me for way too long with his hug. I had to tell him enough. His synthetic fur smell clung to me for a little while after. He was so enthusiastic though!

I have to say that I am a little confused as to why they made/continue with the Kylo Ren M&G being some intimidating/weird/strange. I am a Star Wars fan and really, really enjoyed the last movie. My little boy, who will be almost 5 when we go in December loves Kylo Ren. He is at the age where the bad guy is just as cool, or cooler, than the good guys. He is really pumped up to meet Kylo on our first day. I would imagine there are more kids like this. I am all for staying in character, to a degree, but there has to be a way to make it fun for everyone...

Maybe wear a shirt that has one of them on it and make sure they notice?

This is what we did. I had on a Darth maul shirt and my husband had on a Chewbacca shirt. We met chewy and he pointed at my husband's shirt and hugged him. We met Darth Vader instead of kylo ren and he pointed to my shirt and said very good, then he told my husband he was with the wrong side. It was fun :)

I have to say that I am a little confused as to why they made/continue with the Kylo Ren M&G being some intimidating/weird/strange. I am a Star Wars fan and really, really enjoyed the last movie. My little boy, who will be almost 5 when we go in December loves Kylo Ren. He is at the age where the bad guy is just as cool, or cooler, than the good guys. He is really pumped up to meet Kylo on our first day. I would imagine there are more kids like this. I am all for staying in character, to a degree, but there has to be a way to make it fun for everyone...

We saw Kylo last week. This was a top priority for my 18 year old daughter. We waited in a pretty long line (the one for Chewy was longer though) We are 6 adults, the 18 year old was the youngest in our group. Our plan was that I would take pictures of the 4 adult kids with Kylo. When we walked in the handlers were very gruff with us. They told us to put down our stuff and line up against the wall. Kylo comes in and THEY take a picture. We were not allowed to take a picture ourselves, they take one to sell you. We didn't have photopass but we still got a copy of the picture on our MDE that we could buy. We didn't. Our Kylo did not say anything, or if he did it was inaudible. He did not interact with us, we stood in a line and he stood at one end of our line. It was very awkward.

Funny, my daughter, the huge Kylo fan, said later "I don't know whether to be ticked off about that or in awe about how serious they took it"
The whole thing was weird, and we were very disappointed that WE could not take a picture.
My husband actually said he thought Kylo was a cardboard cut out. He didn't see him move at all. That's how non-interactive he was.

We saw Kylo last week. This was a top priority for my 18 year old daughter. We waited in a pretty long line (the one for Chewy was longer though) We are 6 adults, the 18 year old was the youngest in our group. Our plan was that I would take pictures of the 4 adult kids with Kylo. When we walked in the handlers were very gruff with us. They told us to put down our stuff and line up against the wall. Kylo comes in and THEY take a picture. We were not allowed to take a picture ourselves, they take one to sell you. We didn't have photopass but we still got a copy of the picture on our MDE that we could buy. We didn't. Our Kylo did not say anything, or if he did it was inaudible. He did not interact with us, we stood in a line and he stood at one end of our line. It was very awkward.

Funny, my daughter, the huge Kylo fan, said later "I don't know whether to be ticked off about that or in awe about how serious they took it"
The whole thing was weird, and we were very disappointed that WE could not take a picture.
My husband actually said he thought Kylo was a cardboard cut out. He didn't see him move at all. That's how non-interactive he was.

Did you ask if they would take one with your phone or camera? That is odd that you were just pushed through. We gave the character attendant our phone before they lead us in and they took photos with us no problem. They were pretty gruff and told us we were not to approach Kylo until he told us we could come in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter