• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chef Mickey Dinner - Worst Meal of My Life

Brewersprts

Mouseketeer
So I recently got back from an over 3 week trip to Disney World. Did a ton of great things with the exception of eating at Chef Mickeys.

First, a little background. I've been going to disney since I was like 4 months old, in 1987. I was born and raised in Florida to a mom that is a Disney nut (She was actually there when the Magic Kingdom opened and got ran over and tripped over by Fess Parker). We used to make day trips from Bradenton/ Sarasota often. My school even would go to Disney World for field trips.

Anyways, I now live in Ohio and last years trip was the first time that I've ever done a character meal. We did breakfast at cape may. Two adults and three kids. We loved it. Characters were great. Food was very good, fresh and warm. The mickey waffles were amazing. It cost about $140 for us 5 and it was absolutely worth it. Great way to start a Disney vacation.

With this in mind, I was very excited to book another character meal. I wanted to do Chef Mickeys. I have read good and bad reviews but there was some bad reviews for Cape May and it was amazing so I decided I had to get reservations. I was determined to get a perfect time when we wouldn't have to waste park time or have to eat super late. Unfortunately, I can't plan things 6 months out and didn't get reservations at the 180 day mark. Our dates were set less than 2 months before we were leaving. I spent hours upon hours waiting in hold with Disney dining first thing in the morning and last thing at night trying to catch a reservation that would work perfectly for us. I wore out the wifi at work checking the MDE app over and over trying to find a reservation.

I finally found one for 7:10 on a day we would be at Magic Kingdom and a Christmas party was going on. Perfect, we don't have to waste park time eating and we can just ride the monorail over to the Contemporary.

The day we finally went was great. We caught the first monorail we walked up to and only waited a couple minutes to be seated. We also had to have one of the best seats in the building. This was our view. (Sorry for the poor picture, I couldn't get all the reflections out of the picture)
image.jpg

Had a beautiful view of the castle all lit up for Christmas. You could see the lights on space mountain. We could also see the astro orbiters which was awesome because the youngest loves that ride. Could also see the big tree out front of the Contemporary along with the lights they have up in the parking lot.

The characters came up right as we were seated. They were great too. Not rushed, fun, and very patient for everyone's pictures.

Here is where the 'magic' ended...

We got to the food. Absolutely horrible. I had some caeser salad, it was not very good. The lettuce was old and not crisp at all and the croutons were soggy.

The rest of the food was worse. The menu, from Disney not from some other website, was completely wrong. There was no ham, no pizza, no mickey ravioli. The kids are picky so we made sure there was things for everyone to eat before booking. I am not little kid picky but I do like my food to be fresh.

They did have chicken nuggets, which the kids would eat, but they were cold. Not even lukewarm, sitting out in the room cold. The rolls were ok, definitely not anything
to write home about. The kids are not complainers but I could tell that they were definitely not liking their food.

I don't like to complain but the food was so bad that I called Disney dining while sitting at the table. The waitress hadn't been over for a while and I didn't see any management so I didn't know what else to do. I have never not paid for a meal in my life. I absolutely do not believe in cheating or stealing from people especially when kids are watching. That's not the kind of example I want to set. I have never more wanted to walk out on a dinner in my life. Needless to say, I was very upset.

Well, the lady at Disney dining got someone to come over and I spoke with the manager. She was very apologetic and offered to get us something from the other restaurant in the building. She brought us some of those little flat bread pizzas like they serve in the park. They're not worth $10 in the park and especially not worth the $250 + tip the dinner costs us. She said that they didn't control the menu that is on the Disney website and on the MDE app.

We all left hungry and $300 poorer. That doesn't seem right to me.

Basically, the dinner was horrible. The food was bad and old. I could be a lot more understanding if it was bad but at least fresh. I would have liked our money back and I would have been glad to leave ASAP.

The ice cream Sunday bar was good. I guess that's better than nothing.

I wish I was a lesser man, I would have absolutely have walked right out. Disney didn't make it right by me and I will absolutely never be back to eat there.

I sadly agree that the quality of Chef Mickeys food has really declined. We had dinner there in 2007, it was great ; prime rib, lots of great choices. We had dinner there again a few years later & was really surprised to see the quality really went down. We only go there for breakfast now - its pretty hard to mess up breakfast. Chef Mickey's has the best characters though, so it's a trade off - get all your character pics done in a hour but the food is only so-so.

I totally agree. We went last February for dinner and I won't ever be back. The food was gross. I ended up eating some salad and a roll. The kids love the dessert bar but not worth the $300 I spent. It is a fun restaurant but not worth the poor quality food.

Count us in as another family who rated Chef Mickey's dinner the worst of our trip. My dd had a great time meeting the characters, but still not worth it IMO. We won't do this dinner again.

It has gone down hill over the years for sure. I find it okay at best.

We haven't been in about 4 years. Our last experience was pretty bad too. There are so many great places to eat in the world. I would rather use a FP to see the characters and just enjoy our meal.

I used to like it in the late 90s, and I was only going for the food, not the people dressed in costumes.

I remember the OJ being really good. Do they still do fresh squeezed?

Well that stinks. We went in November for dinner and the short ribs with polenta, bbq ribs and fish were surprisingly good after reading all the reviews here. I think the short ribs were the special that night. Send customer service an email, they are usually very good about responding and you may get a more satisfactory response.

The current menu on their website doesn't have those items listed and is very accurate to what we had a few months ago so they must have updated it -

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/chef-mickeys/menus/dinner/

We did breakfast there last time we went. Never again! It was awful!!! Pretty much paid $200 for each of my kids to have a donut. Food was terrible, cold and we had pretty bad service on top of that. As much as my 2-year old would flip out if we did it, we're skipping it this trip.

We used to go every trip but haven't been in about 5 years. What I don't understand is why Disney doesn't do something about it?
It's gotten worse and worse. :sad2:

Carla

Sorry you had such a terrible dinner. We have done dinner once and breakfast twice at Chef Mickeys. Our dinner food wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't inedible. We much prefer breakfast.

Sounds like our experience their was pretty similar. ALL of the food was cold and picked over, almost like they would only change it out with fresh food when the tray was scraped clean of food...gross. We did have an a fun time swinging the napkins around and seeing the characters but it's safe to say we will never be back there again unless something changes.

I used to like it in the late 90s, and I was only going for the food, not the people dressed in costumes.

I remember the OJ being really good. Do they still do fresh squeezed?

The last time they served good food was when it was located in Downtown Disney(Village).

It's too bad, but let's face it -most people are going for the character interaction so if the food stinks "most" people don't complain about it ...I'm not even sure what Disney would do if you did complain.

We used to go every trip but haven't been in about 5 years. What I don't understand is why Disney doesn't do something about it?
It's gotten worse and worse. :sad2:

Carla

Probably because people continue to pack the restaurant. No need to do something about it unless attendance drops.

Probably because people continue to pack the restaurant. No need to do something about it unless attendance drops.

::yes:: We just decided to go to Disney in April a few weeks ago, and the only dinner I can get is 8:45pm. We eat there for dinner every trip and haven't had a bad meal. I love the creamy mashed potatoes and sweet delicious corn bread.

That's really unfortunate. Generally I try to avoid all buffet meals, everywhere - and especially at Disney where they're tremendously overpriced.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more! I won't ever go to Chef Mickeys for anything other than breakfast. I really do think they have a great breakfast going there. We always go around 7:30-7:40am when the food is fresh and the restaurant is CLEAN so we love breakfast there. Dinner was the complete opposite and there are plenty of other great restaurants on property for dinner.

Agree about the dinner part, we had dinner there once and were not impressed - didn't hate it though... But we do love the breakfast and have been going for breakfast every year

Our Chef Mickeys dinner was horrible as well. And for that matter so was our dinner at the Crystal Palace. I would liken this food to what you get at a convention buffet at big chain hotel. My kids loved the characters.....but I would not pay for that again.

Our breakfast at Cape May was great. Expensive but at least the food was good.

So I recently got back from an over 3 week trip to Disney World. Did a ton of great things with the exception of eating at Chef Mickeys.

Well, the lady at Disney dining got someone to come over and I spoke with the manager. She was very apologetic and offered to get us something from the other restaurant in the building. She brought us some of those little flat bread pizzas like they serve in the park. They're not worth $10 in the park and especially not worth the $250 + tip the dinner costs us. She said that they didn't control the menu that is on the Disney website and on the MDE app.

We all left hungry and $300 poorer. That doesn't seem right to me.

Basically, the dinner was horrible. The food was bad and old. I could be a lot more understanding if it was bad but at least fresh. I would have liked our money back and I would have been glad to leave ASAP.

I would recommend emailing guest services and letting them know as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter