• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheer/dance competitions

Pyxie

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know the dates of the cheer and dance competitions next year? Specifically any that may be happening in January and February.

From another site: the Dance Team National Championship, a colossal youth cheer event held at Walt Disney World’s ESPN Wide World of Sports, will result in an influx of event attendees later in January 2023.

We were at Disney in the past during some type of competition. Unless you are staying at the hotels where they are, you likely will never notice. Competitors are busy with practice and/or the actual rounds of competition, so it isn't going to make the parks any more crowded. We would not have known it was taking place other then some ads we saw.

We were at Disney in the past during some type of competition. Unless you are staying at the hotels where they are, you likely will never notice. Competitors are busy with practice and/or the actual rounds of competition, so it isn't going to make the parks any more crowded. We would not have known it was taking place other then some ads we saw.
Avoid the All Star hotels during competitions. We tried to have an early night (10 pm) with a little one, and there was a cheer squad practicing just outside our room.

We were there for UDA Nationals last year - first weekend of February
hotel choices were All Star, Caribbean Beach and Coronado

Do they also stay at Pop Century?
Not sure about cheer competition groups but high school groups do. When my friend was graduating from high school, her class went to WDW and they booked a ton of rooms at Pop. They basically took over the resort while they were there.

The dates have been mentioned, but if you're flying in or out around the same time, be prepared for possible delays. I'm not sure if it's the norm, but I've never seen an airport so dang crowded and underprepared first thing in the morning. Then Southwest held our flight for a long time after we boarded because they were swapping out girls.

Found this on a Disney Blog
Events in 2023
January 13 – 15 College Cheerleading and Dance Team National Championships
February 3-5, 2023 National Dance Team Championship
February 10-12, 2023 National High School Cheerleading Championship
February 17- 20, 2023: Twirlmania
March 3-5, 2023: Contest of Champions Nationals

Earlier this year we were there during two big group events (one being cheer). We were offsite so no clue about the resort crowd but the park crowd was much lower than expected. We also found it very easy to get LL and ILL reservations. I don't know if its 100% accurate or not, but we were told large groups are unable to easily book these add-ons because their group based tickets often cant be linked to their MDE app. If that is true, it would explain our experience and I would think it would be an ideal time to go to the parks where a big chunk of on property rooms are occupied by those who cant use G+ and are unlikely to utilize early entry and extended hours.

Earlier this year we were there during two big group events (one being cheer). We were offsite so no clue about the resort crowd but the park crowd was much lower than expected. We also found it very easy to get LL and ILL reservations. I don't know if its 100% accurate or not, but we were told large groups are unable to easily book these add-ons because their group based tickets often cant be linked to their MDE app. If that is true, it would explain our experience and I would think it would be an ideal time to go to the parks where a big chunk of on property rooms are occupied by those who cant use G+ and are unlikely to utilize early entry and extended hours.
I’m not sure that the trade-off would be there for us.

In our decades of many visits to WDW, I don’t think any groups’ behavior has been so very obnoxious and annoying as the loud, privileged, “Outa our way, we’re coming through!” cheer groups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter