cheer competition experiences?

dizneyrules

Mouseketeer
I would love to hear about some experiences from families who have attended cheer competitions at WDW. :cheer2: My daughter's squad will be competing there in March or April of next year and I am not sure how this works in terms of where we stay, tickets, discounts, etc.

Thanks!

Ann Marie :laundy:

Hey Ann Marie!

We just returned from watching my niece compete at WDW in March. She competed at the UCA Nationals. Her gym chose not to participate in the travel packages organized by the competition. We live in GA so maybe that had something to do with it? :confused3

Anyway, this was the first time her gym took her age group to this competition. So it was uncharted territory for my SIL. And being the family "Disney Expert" I was charged with getting us all organized etc. I found it really helpful to check in on the competition website from time to time. Eventhough they weren't participating in the travel package or going to the big party at DHS for the participants there was a lot of good information on the website. If this is the competition you'll be attending, I'd go check out this past year's info here, just so you can get a feel for what's up.

For this competition Levels 1 and 2 competed at DHS and level 3 and up along with dance competed over at WWoS.

The tickets you can buy through the competition (for family etc.) were a pretty good deal for adults. We only needed 3 day PH, and those tix were $186. From what I understood it was the same prince for kids, but compared to regular gate price, it wasn't as much of a savings. But some is better than nothing. To be honest the prices I found for YES tickets and Magic Music Days were better, so we were pretty shocked at how much the tickets cost, but that did include admission to both DHS and WWoS. The other thing to know is these tickets are only valid for a certain number of days around the competition. I believe my nieces ticket had the date range printed on it. I would imagine you can not upgrade these tickets in anyway as well.

The travel package appeared to be a pretty good deal. Those staying on the travel package were booked in to All-Star Sports. I stayed at Pop, and noticed a good number of dancers there. I assume they made those arrangements on their own. I didn't do any real comparison b/c it was pretty much futile as my niece, SIL and the other kids had to stay at the hotel the gym picked.

The gym got a very good deal at their hotel, the Swan and Dolphin, and I noticed several other teams were staying there as well. I used my AP discount and got a better deal at Pop. (I knew there would be little resort time so no need to pay more for the nicer hotel.) I was really suprised that discount was available, considering the competition fell at the start of the spring break season, but it was. There was also a general public discount available that covered our stay. For Pop it was 20 or 25% if you booked before the end of 2010, and then 15% from Jan through whatever the deal expiration date was. Sometime in Feb. I think.

For me the real challenge was not knowing when specifically my niece would compete until a couple of weeks before before the actual competition. I was in charge of the park itenerary, so having to wait to finalize park days was unnerving. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I knew we were headed down during one of the most crowded times, and I wanted to feel organized. I will say I was impressed that once they posted the performance times etc. it didn't change..for my niece's group anyway. Other competitions she's been to it seems like the time changes constantly right up until the week they compete. It was definitely the most organized of any of the competitions I've been to.

There is also a great cheer mom thread over on the community board. I got some good advice from the moms over there as well.

If you can afford the Deluxe Resorts, this would be the time to do it. The mod's and values are very loud during cheerleader competition. Some of the girls can be very rude also.

1. The tickets you can buy through the competition (for family etc.) were a pretty good deal for adults. We only needed 3 day PH, and those tix were $186. From what I understood it was the same prince for kids, but compared to regular gate price, it wasn't as much of a savings. But some is better than nothing.

2. To be honest the prices I found for YES tickets and Magic Music Days were better, so we were pretty shocked at how much the tickets cost, but that did include admission to both DHS and WWoS.

3. The other thing to know is these tickets are only valid for a certain number of days around the competition. I believe my nieces ticket had the date range printed on it. I would imagine you can not upgrade these tickets in anyway as well.

1. A 3 day MYW PH ticket is $278, the tickets offered are $186 I would say thats a pretty good discount. :confused3

2. The tickets are most likely YES tickets with a bit of an upcharge and/or the cost of the extra tickets rolled into the price. Still a good discount.

3. And yes, YES tickets can't be upgraded and do have a 2 week use period.

1. A 3 day MYW PH ticket is $278, the tickets offered are $186 I would say thats a pretty good discount. :confused3

You're right! I had so many ticket and stay variations going during the beginning of the planning because the travel party was larger to start and budgets kept changing. I was remembering one of variations where I didn't include PH on the kids tickets. This is what happens when you get old. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter