"Cheaper Hotel Rates" Web Sites?

DianaPrincessofWales

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if I worded this thread right? But, I'm wondering which web sites to go to for cheaper hotel rates? I probably WON"T be using Hotels.com (bad experience), but I'd be up for trying other sites. Does Expedia have OK customer service? I noticed they do have a $25 fee for changing your itinerary. We are driving from MN to the southwest for a 2 week family vacation and are going to be spending alot on hotels! Right now I'm just using my AAA for % off the room rates. Any suggestions? Thank you. :)

I like Hotwire. I've always picked at least a 3* and have never been disappointed. I usually end up with Sheraton, Hilton, Hyatt or Wyndam and once it was the Doubletree.

I've used otel.com in the past - some of their prices are better than others, and some are not so great, but you know which hotel it is, and sicne I don't do a rental car in FL, that was important to me. I used it for the Doubletree at Universal and got a really good rate back in January.

Is there a particular place you're staying or just looking to stop over night while driving?? We used hotwire most recently and HATED it - the hotel didn't have our reservation the morning we were leaving for Disney - what a hassle! Not what you should be thinking about when you're ready to go on vacation! If you know where you'll be making stops, you could try tripadvisor.com to get some reviews before you look for anything. As far as booking, we generally just drive until we can't drive when we go back to MI so we stop wherever we're at and can't really make the reservations in advance.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help....

We've used quikbook for major cities and trip advisor has a neat feature that searches all the major discount sites at once.

Also, I know some people have had bad experiences, but we've had good luck with Priceline for weekend trips. We've always stayed at nice properties and have been treated well. But with Priceline "you get what you get..."- no changes.

Good luck :)

skoosh.com

Found some great rates with them and when I had to cancel, there were no problems.

That is my issue with the budget hotel "warehouses" I've used them before ie Hotwire with good results but if for some reason I am not 100% sure that there will not be a need to change to the reservation or a cancellation (with kids you never know what could come up) I try not to use those sites as many won;t allow changed you are on the hook for the full price even if you don't use the reservation. I have also been able to find comparable or lower rates directly through the hotel websites.

That is my issue with the budget hotel "warehouses" I've used them before ie Hotwire with good results but if for some reason I am not 100% sure that there will not be a need to change to the reservation or a cancellation (with kids you never know what could come up) I try not to use those sites as many won;t allow changed you are on the hook for the full price even if you don't use the reservation. I have also been able to find comparable or lower rates directly through the hotel websites.

I usually find better deals directly from the chain's website also. I usually use Quality since their reward card lets me get AMTRAK points, I like their brands and their properties are pretty nice overall. I don't know if you could combine the stay so many nights get a night free thing but you may be able to.
Good luck and have fun in the southwest! (I'm usually looking for ways to escape it, but I guess if you aren't here, coming here can be fun ;) )

My dd used to work front desk at a hotel during her college years. She hated the budget hotel "warehouse" websites because when the website messed up the reservations, she got blamed for it. It happened more often than it should.
Also, she said they usually had a better deal than what was offered by the warehouse. She recommended calling the hotel direct and asking for a special. If that price wasn't better, tell the hotel you have a better price online, and they will often beat it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Question: For example on the hotwire.com site, is there a way to look at the hotel you will be getting? Is there a page to "go past" to see what you might be getting before you enter credit card info? Or is it you get what you get?

Thanks agiain. Still checking. :surfweb:

I've had good luck with expedia and travelocity but I've never had to change a rezzie with them. HOWEVER, recently, I've gone to expedia to check rates, then gone directly to the hotel's own website to book. It makes it easier to cancel or change when you deal directly with the hotel.

I totally agree it is easier to cancel or change reservations directly with the hotel.

I went ahead and tried hotwire.com. Hopefully our plans don't change. I had a bad experience with hotels.com and have a feeling alot of these hotel search engines work the same way. Here is what I got, tell me how I did.

It's a three star La Quinta in Flagstaff, AZ. It's listed in the AAA book with ratings of $60-$180. Total for one night after taxes is $71.cc. This is in the month of June. :confused3

I've always had the best luck with kayak.com. It automatically searches most chains directly (airlines, hotel, and car rentals), as well as sites like expedia and orbitz. Also, you don't pay them directly--chosing an option takes you directly to that site to book your reservations.

Best Place to find ALL Disney DISCOUNTS

www.MouseSavers.com Favorite this site Save It you will need it for ever aspect of trip planning!!

Mary is on top of ALL the new Discounts up to the minute!

Ditto on Kayak; have had good experiences there and like that they allow you to book directly with a hotel's own site.

DK

I have been wondering the very same thing, and someone suggested Travelzoo.com. My question was do you get better deals the closer you get to your trip, or should we book now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter