• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheap Wine

Well, the best bargain is always Charles Shaw wine... aka Three Buck Chuck.

Sutter Home moscato is actually pretty enjoyable, if you like the sweetness of sparkling wine.

What's your budget? I can recommend under $10, under $15, and under $20.

That's pretty broad, and really depends on your taste preference. Also, as a general rule inexpensive or good value wine is usually a more encouraged term than "cheap" :)

As for a few recommendations, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, Panilonco, either of their red wines are great. They're from Chile and around $5, but much more in the range of a $25 bottle of wine in quality. If you've got a Costco nearby Highway 12 makes a few very drinkable California wines in a Bordeaux style, that also compare to about a $30 bottle for around $14.

As a broad rule if you're looking for something good and red you can get some good values from up and coming regions such as Chile and Argentina, which will offer something very good at a fraction of the California or French prices.

Wine is a very broad topic. It all depends on what you like. Yellow Tail stuff is generally pretty good, it is VERY easy to find. Barefoot is another reliable brand.

I would just avoid anything made by Gallo. To me, Sutter Home is drinkable, but it is about my absolute last choice.

Unfortunately, costco's and trader Joe's do not sell wine around here. You have to go to a liquor store.
I find cheaper red wines are easier to drink than cheap whites. For reds, try an australian wine like Jacob's creek. Our local store has wine arranged by country of origin. I have also found some decent Argentine Malbec's for around $10 a bottle.
As for whites, look for a New Zealand Sauvingnon blanc. "Cupcake" brand isn't bad for their whites either.

That's really a tough question. What do you consider inexpensive? $5 or $10? Red or white preference?

Across the board as a mainstream brand, Barefoot is a good choice.

Slightly higher (around $10) - Apothic Red/White blends are great.

Do you have any local wineries around? Some of them have outstanding wines and you are supporting local business. Many of them in my area have case clubs. For every case I purchase, I get a certain percentage off of each bottle and I can mix and match the wines I am getting in my case. And if you can't make it to the actual winery, many of them sell their wines at the local liquor stores.

I'm more of a white or sweet wine drinker; I like Barefoot, Winking Owl and Cupcake wines for a cheap bottle. Trader Joe's has some good ones as well, but they aren't super close to us.
I second checking with your local wineries. Here in Missouri, we have a TON of wineries and most of them have at least a few bottles for under $10 and most bottles are under $20. Lots of them offer discounts based on purchases of 6 or more bottles as well. Might be something to check out.

Like others, I would need a price range since for me there is a difference in cheap and inexpensive. Inexpensive for me is around $15. Do you drink white or red? Do you like dry, semi-sweet or sweet? I would suggest if you have a local wine shop (not a liquor store) go there and ask them to assist you. I'm a member of the wine club at a small local shop and they have a machine that is loaded with about 7 wines you can taste. 2 oz., 4 oz or 6 oz. She always has at least one less expensive white and one less expensive red in there so that is an option as well.

No wine in grocery stores or Costco in PA either. i like Barefoot for my everyday wine drinking with dinner, it has been on sale for 6.99 lately around here. I get both their pinot grigio and chardonnay. I like the Apothic Red also. It is rare for me to pay more than $10 a bottle, I don't have a good enough palate to tell the difference between cheap and expensive wines!

Last edited:
I know you said bottle, but Black Box makes some very good wines that average about 5 dollars a bottle--19.99 for a box equivalent to 4 bottles. I really like their Malbec and Sauvignon Blanc.

I love Barefoot! Yummy and cheap! I drink the Moscato but I prefer sweeter wines. I've had some of the other Barefoot whites and they were good, too. Apothic White is good, too. Not sure on cost for that one because it was a gift but so good!

My new fav is Winking Owl pinot grigio from Aldi--$2.99/bottle!
I also like Barefoot or Yellow Tail.
I prefer pinot grigio or Sauvingnon blanc. (no red--migraines)

We like Chateau St Michelle, especially the reisling. Personally, a lot of the ones mentioned, Charles Shaw, Sutter Home, if people bought those for me, I personally feel like someone is just trying to buy the cheapest bottle of wine possible and probably just shouldn't have bothered. I probably wouldn't spend less than $5 on a bottle, and I'd try to find something a little more unique or less common.

If you can get it, Bullyhill makes good wine. The Love My Goat is a good middle of the road red wine that isn't too dry. And the Goat White was really good too.

Oak leaf Moscato at Walmart for under $3 a bottle. If you like sweet whites, just trust me and try it! I've enjoyed many different wines, and would gladly pay 10x as much for this one. Friends and family members have been converted as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter