Charged incorrectly for upgrade to APs?

Upgraded to DVC PAP yesterday when leaving park at Transportation Centre. First quoted $178 for upgrade from my 7 day base ticket. I knew that was wrong. Told her it should be about $117 with taxes. She went in the back to her supervisor, came out moments later and ended up creating a second 7day base ticket to use in the transaction. She then scanned THAT ticket into the computer and used IT to bridge to a PAP. While doing so, she said "how much did you pay for this ticket anyway??"... I just said, "I dont know, my husband bought it". It took an extra 5 minutes tops... But in the end, my upgraded ticket costed the expected amount.

The CMs seem more concerned with "where did you buy it" and "how much did you pay for it", than they are concerned with doing their jobs correctly!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I had some issues with trying to upgrade to an AP last year. My final day was NYE and I was in MK. The line for guest relations was v.long. And they had a CM standing outside trying to re-direct people to come back later. When I explained what I wanted to do the CM was insistant that I could be upgraded over the phone and I should call when I get home.

I said I've looked online and I'm pretty sure this has to be done in the parks, and I don't mind waiting. But they wouldn't let it go and pretty much forced me out of the line. Saying as an exception they will handle your request over the phone at this time of year when the parks are just too busy to cope.

I reluctantly walked away. I rang Disney from home a couple of days later and explained the situation. The CM I spoke to over the phone said I was misinformed at MK and there was nothing that they could do for me :( I asked to speak to their manager and was told the same thing again. They apologised for the poor communication, but that didn't get me an AP.

So it seems to me like my issue, and all the other ones about pricing are showing that there is a gap in staff training that needs to be filled with a proper policy about upgrades that all CMs in every location follow.

I had some issues with trying to upgrade to an AP last year. My final day was NYE and I was in MK. The line for guest relations was v.long. And they had a CM standing outside trying to re-direct people to come back later. When I explained what I wanted to do the CM was insistant that I could be upgraded over the phone and I should call when I get home.

I said I've looked online and I'm pretty sure this has to be done in the parks, and I don't mind waiting. But they wouldn't let it go and pretty much forced me out of the line. Saying as an exception they will handle your request over the phone at this time of year when the parks are just too busy to cope.

I reluctantly walked away. I rang Disney from home a couple of days later and explained the situation. The CM I spoke to over the phone said I was misinformed at MK and there was nothing that they could do for me :( I asked to speak to their manager and was told the same thing again. They apologised for the poor communication, but that didn't get me an AP.

So it seems to me like my issue, and all the other ones about pricing are showing that there is a gap in staff training that needs to be filled with a proper policy about upgrades that all CMs in every location follow.

This is the most depressing "upgrade" story that I've read here in awhile.

This is a classic example of "the CM made up a story" and it cost you your AP, entirely!

Personally, I would not give up.
It might take some time, but I'd keep contacting Disney Guest Relations with your tale until you find a helpful person.

The number for ticketing Guest Services which may be released to the public is 407-566-4985. Their hours are 8:30 to 4:30 Monday Through Friday (except holidays). One of the things they do is research tickets.

=AND=

eMail-

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Snail Mail-

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Twinkbelle said:

I agree! The policies need to be better understood by all CMs and consistency would be nice!

We had a similar incident that could have resulted in our not getting our passes. There were a couple dining points left on our KTTW card, and the CM told us we couldn't upgrade till we used them all and we could just do it back at the resort concierge. I knew this was wrong, but my DFi wouldn't believe me, so off we went, on our day and back to the hotel to wait on Magic Express. And, of course, they couldn't upgrade us there. Luckily, we hadn't used the tickets so we could save them for the next trip to upgrade (when previous post occurred). We were there on APs, but they were about to expire and we lost the renewal incentive -$90 total. We did gain an extra month, so maybe we can use it during that time to make up for the loss.

I hope a few more calls will help get your situation straightened out. Disney usually tries to make things right (though we have had a couple incidents...)

From personal experience, and from other threads I've read over the last few months, this can happen with tix bought directly from Disney. In my case I bought a room/ticket/dining package and needed to upgrade to an AP. When I went to DHS to do the upgrade the CM said that my tickets had been discounted. I thought it odd at the time since I purchased them from Disney, but I have seen similar comments from other posters upgrading package tickets to an AP. The transaction cost a few more dollars than I had calculated so the price was not bridged. The difference was so small, less than $10 as I recall, so I didn't feel like arguing the point with them. Truthfully, I was far more concerned my dining credits were going to get messed up in the transaction. I went ahead with the transaction and my dining credits survived!

I imagine if you have any sort of ticket that the system says was purchased at a price other than current gate price, you can have issues. As another poster said, best to simply ask for your tickets back and try the transaction elsewhere or with another CM in the same location.

Same thing happened to me, but the difference was something like $100 vs the $79 I should have paid to upgrade. And I too bought it online, with my package, on Disney's website. After the price increase, so it's not like I had cheaper tickets.

I'm glad I insisted and got the upgrade, but not so glad I wasted more than 1 hour going to two places, waiting, being stressed out that they were refusing to do what I always read was a simple procedure.

They did take my tickets out of my room key though, but at that point I just wanted to be done with it. I asked if I could add them back to my room jey later and they told me no. Luckily, I think it was Robo, who told me to go to my resort concierge and ask them to add the tickets back to the room key, which they did right away.

Wow! That's horrible!! I'm so sorry that happened to you. After my most recent trip I don't think I can fully trust a CM again. I got a ton of bad information, regarding different things, it was really disappointing. If I'm ever told no by a CM on something I'm pretty confident I'm right about, I'm going to ask for a manager and if that doesn't help I will try another CM, another manager.

I called the number that was given on this thread. The person I spoke to said that I need to resolve this at a Guest Services in a park. Since I am not there, she said that I could just do it the next time I visit Disney next year. She said that there is nothing she can do over the phone.

I was concerned that if I wait till next year that the CM at the park might not help me because I waited too long. So, the person on the phone created a "magic file" and gave me a number. She said that they could access it and see that I tried to get it fixed.

So, I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

BTW, I was overcharged by $195.44 and the expiration dates are two weeks too early.

I called the number that was given on this thread. The person I spoke to said that I need to resolve this at a Guest Services in a park. Since I am not there, she said that I could just do it the next time I visit Disney next year. She said that there is nothing she can do over the phone.

I was concerned that if I wait till next year that the CM at the park might not help me because I waited too long. So,

1- the person on the phone created a "magic file" and gave me a number. She said that they could access it and see that I tried to get it fixed.

So, I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

2- BTW, I was overcharged by $126.54 and the expiration dates are two weeks too early.

1- Yes. This is a standard procedure and usually a principle "phone remedy."

2- Very good! That info will now be in your "magic file" and should not be a hassle to get fixed when you get to WDW the next time.

Great that you're getting things fixed!

:thumbsup2

Should I also try to remedy this through an email in the hopes that I won't have to wait until next year to get this fixed? Or should I just be patient and wait?

Edited to add: Just saw your message, Robo. Guess I'll take care of this on my next trip.

Reading these stories makes me think that I might just buy AP vouchers online before the next price increase.

but not so glad I wasted more than 1 hour going to two places, waiting, being stressed out that they were refusing to do what I always read was a simple procedure.

See, this is what worries me . . . potentially having to waste time, feeling stressed, or having to deal with something once I got home (which, from what I'm reading, still might not resolve it). Ugh. Wish there was some consistent way of doing this instead of being at the mercy of a particular CM and their knowledge of how to bridge tickets.

Reading these stories makes me think that I might just buy AP vouchers online before the next price increase.

See, this is what worries me . . . potentially having to waste time, feeling stressed, or having to deal with something once I got home (which, from what I'm reading, still might not resolve it). Ugh. Wish there was some consistent way of doing this instead of being at the mercy of a particular CM and their knowledge of how to bridge tickets.

Being armed with the actual numbers and knowledge of proper procedures can overcome CM problems.

But, hey, if paying full price is OK with your budget, that'll work just fine.

Beginning to think that if we get an under-trained and/or dis-cooperative GS cast member, the simplest approach may just be to pay the overcharge and then contact Ticketing Services to resolve it. They, at least, seem to still know the proper procedures. This means being temporarily out the money, but that may be worth the savings in time.

It may also be that upgrades are still done correctly most of the time - we just don't hear as often about those cases. (I've never had an issue, but my last upgrade was almost three years ago. Things may have gone downhill since then.)

I went to upgrade my ticket at Epcot on November 16th. I went armed with a printout showing the current gate price with and without tax of both the ticket I owned and the AP I wanted to buy. I also had the price I paid, but that was on a separate sheet.

When I first started the transaction, the price I was given was higher than it should have been. I calmly and polietely told the CM that I didn't think that was quite right. He looked at it and gave me the value of my AP and the value of my ticket. I again calmly asked him, isn't the 7-day value XXX. He said is that what you paid, I asked again isn't the gate value XXX. He replied Yes. He looked again and replyed that he had an extra step to take first and then he gave the price I was expecting. I made that transaction and the purchased my TiW card with a second transaction after I had my new AP in hand. Then without me having to ask, he asked if I needed my parking credited which I did, so he refunded me the price for parking.

I was prepared to walk away if necessary but I didn't have to.

I went to upgrade my ticket at Epcot on November 16th. I went armed with a printout showing the current gate price with and without tax of both the ticket I owned and the AP I wanted to buy. I also had the price I paid, but that was on a separate sheet.

When I first started the transaction, the price I was given was higher than it should have been. I calmly and polietely told the CM that I didn't think that was quite right. He looked at it and gave me the value of my AP and the value of my ticket. I again calmly asked him, isn't the 7-day value XXX. He said is that what you paid, I asked again isn't the gate value XXX. He replied Yes. He looked again and replyed that he had an extra step to take first and then he gave the price I was expecting. I made that transaction and the purchased my TiW card with a second transaction after I had my new AP in hand. Then without me having to ask, he asked if I needed my parking credited which I did, so he refunded me the price for parking.

I was prepared to walk away if necessary but I didn't have to.

Great story!
Congrats!

If you get "difficult" CM, you will feel stressed, worried and no matter prepared you or not, have numbers on hands or not, getting them do it right will be virtually impossible. Even so we know what is correct procedure, we have nothing in writing to make it work first time.
So, prepare to walk away and try again later. Hopefully second time around CM will know what to do or at least manager will be cooperative. If not, prepare to walk away and do it again, and so on.
Honestly, saving is not that great to bother, JMO.

The CM actually got indignant with me and said if the lady next to her said it couldn't be done, it couldn't be done.
The mean-girl in me wanted to go back to the Epcot CM and show her that it could be done. :p
Except that sentence is almost always false (like 99.9% of the time) everywhere as well as definitely being false here.

I reluctantly walked away. I rang Disney from home a couple of days later and explained the situation. The CM I spoke to over the phone said I was misinformed at MK and there was nothing that they could do for me :( I asked to speak to their manager and was told the same thing again. They apologised for the poor communication, but that didn't get me an AP..
Regrettably I have for a long time suggested that you not wait until the last minute to do ticket upgrades, say, when you have a Magical Express bus to catch back to the airport. The recommended shooting to be back at your resort an hour before your DME bus does not include time in line at Guest Relations to upgrade a ticket or the time in line at Bell Services to get your carryons or the fourth hour before your flight time for international and charter flights.

In this case you should write (using snail mail) Having the (badge) names of the CM's involved would help too.

There should be a special pin awarded, when you go thru a Disney ticketing ordeal, fight the good fight, and prove your knowledge and your math are correct. :grouphug:

A magic file number will work and you will get it all worked out next time. We have a magic file number in the past and all worked out just fine when we returned. :)

I called today about my issue. renewed my 3 kids' APs, yet they weren't bridged to current gate price, and I over paid total of $161.

So I called.... she took my name, kids' names, asked for credit card I had used, I briefly told her price my kids' 6-day tickets I was upgrading were worth, versus what the CM told me they were only worth. She said would do some research and call me back.
Hour or so later she called and said my tickets were worth the current gate price and I was due back $161 - I said yep, that's what my math told me, even before I arrived for my trip knew that. Said will credit it right now back to my card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter