Changes to the Dining Plan

There's been no mention of any changes to the Deluxe Plan from any of the UK travel agencies. However, these changes were announced with our Free Dining offer, so they were mainly concentrating on the QS and Regular plans as that is what we're offered during Free Dine; I don't know whether the Deluxe plan will be included in the changes or if it's been left out because it's not being changed at all! I'm sure we'll know more once Disney release the 2017 plans officially

In the description of deluxe on this site http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/special-offers/disney-dining-plan, the table service doesn't include an appetizer, maybe it was a mistake?

In the description of deluxe on this site http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/special-offers/disney-dining-plan, the table service doesn't include an appetizer, maybe it was a mistake?

I didn't even notice that! Virgin is a huge travel company here so Im working on them having their facts right, but I suppose we won't really know until something is confirmed officially. I know the deluxe is a lot of food, but it still sucks that they're removing the appetiser!

The only reason we do the deluxe is because it includes the appetizer. Otherwise, it definitely is not worth the cost. There's no way to come close to breaking even without the appetizer. Yuck.

This would work better for us because we rarely eat QS desserts. Another snack is much better!

An extra snack in place of QS dessert is great news. Makes saving it for later much easier or can use snacks for breakfast.

Nothing lost with this change. But something is gained.
For those who like getting dessert with QS you still can. Just use the snack credit as virtually all desserts are snacks on the plan.
What is gained is flexibility. You can continue to use the extra snack credit for dessert if you wish, get a dessert somewhere else that has better choices, or get another side or beverage.
This along with last year's change that allows substitutions and cashing in a QS for 3 snacks (dessert, side or beverage) is just giving more flexibility and a good thing.

Not really. If you DO want dessert with a meal, you have to use a snack credit. Then the other meal, same thing. Then you LOSE a snack credit daily with the QSDP - if this is going to be true.

It basically takes away one snack credit daily from the QSDP.

No way I'd pay for this plan.

That would be true. I hadn't thought about the QS Dining Plan. We've always used the standard dining and it would improve that.
As an FYI, I wouldn't and haven't paid for it either. Just happen to always go when it and room discounts are offered and the dining was always the better choice for my flock of 5.

I think this is a positive change. My issue with the regular DDP is one snack wasn't enough, so this addresses that for sure and I would not miss a QS dessert, they aren't that exciting and not something I would bother even ordering, if it weren't on the plan. We usually do the DxDP, so I'm not sure the changes are enough for me to go regular DDP, but I would definitely consider it.

Not really. If you DO want dessert with a meal, you have to use a snack credit. Then the other meal, same thing. Then you LOSE a snack credit daily with the QSDP - if this is going to be true.

It basically takes away one snack credit daily from the QSDP.

No way I'd pay for this plan.

I was thinking the same thing! They are basically taking 2 desserts and giving you one snack credit...

I think for the regular DDP all the change will do is increase flexibility. I've never done QS, but if I had I would feel like I was losing something with this change.

We've also done the Deluxe plan before, and while it was A LOT of food, I did enjoy the 3-course meal aspect (we did a TS breakfast each morning and signature each evening, so I enjoyed the 3-course signature meals and being able to sample all that lovely food!). Don't know how I feel about the Deluxe plan if what the Virgin site is saying is true and you'll only get an entree + dessert!

And that's assuming Disney doesn't go back to enforcing the "kid's must order from a kid's menu" that is still on the brochure. It probably won't happen next year, but I really think this "loophole" they've created will be closed eventually.
Did Disney ever really enforce that rule? We had the dining plan in 2005 and 2009, and both of those times all of the quick service meals back then were lumped together on the account and there was no requirement that kids eat from the kids menu.

Now, the rules said the kids were supposed to order from the kids menu, but I never saw it enforce the previous times we used the dining plan.

Did Disney ever really enforce that rule? We had the dining plan in 2005 and 2009, and both of those times all of the quick service meals back then were lumped together on the account and there was no requirement that kids eat from the kids menu.

Now, the rules said the kids were supposed to order from the kids menu, but I never saw it enforce the previous times we used the dining plan.

It was up to the CM taking your order. If you had 2A/2K on the plan, most would not let you order 4 adult meals at one time, because they could see you only paid for 2 adults on the plan. Of course, the plan rules then also stated you could not share your plan with anyone not on the plan, so that gave the CMs the authority to disallow it. There were always ways to get around it, and yes, you were on the honor system to get kid's meal with the kid's plan, but you couldn't discuss them here, because it was against Disney's stated rules.

For me and my family, and this is speaking of the standard dining plan, we would MUCH prefer to have the extra snack credit instead of the dessert. However, that's for the standard plan. Because one meal on that plan is a TS, you're not losing anything. If you want dessert with your one quick service meal, you use the one extra snack credit. If you don't, you gain that snack credit to use elsewhere. I can see where for those who buy the Quick Service dining plan, this could be seen as losing something.

Nothing lost with this change. But something is gained.
For those who like getting dessert with QS you still can. Just use the snack credit as virtually all desserts are snacks on the plan.
What is gained is flexibility. You can continue to use the extra snack credit for dessert if you wish, get a dessert somewhere else that has better choices, or get another side or beverage.
This along with last year's change that allows substitutions and cashing in a QS for 3 snacks (dessert, side or beverage) is just giving more flexibility and a good thing.
Well ... you are trading the value of 1-2 CS desserts for 1 snack, so the value of the QSDP is reduced by about $5 but the price will probably go up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter