Changes to ID requirements for alcohol purchases at Walt Disney World

DutchsMommy

DIS Veteran
So, in browsing Robo's thread on Starbucks, I came across this little ditty on the same site. I would say this is pretty important!!! Unfortunately I dont know how to shorten the link like Robo so apologies!

ID requirements for purchasing alcohol at Walt Disney World have been changing over the past couple of months leaving some visitors confused as to exactly what will be accepted.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wal...or-alcohol-purchases-at-walt-disney-world.htm

Edit to add: OK, maybe it is more important for non-US folks...but still :)

If you are not from the US you should have your passport on you at all times. You realize that Florida is the closest state to gitmo.

I am from Canada and would feel very uncomfortable bringing a document as important as my Passport to a theme park and risking it getting lost or wet on a ride. I really thought I would be fine to buy alcohol with just my valid Ontario driver's license but I guess I'm glad to come across this thread and will make sure to keep a photocopy of my passport with me in case I want to buy a drink, as much as that is rather annoying! :confused3

I keep my passport locked in the safe in my room at all times, I've heard too many horror stories from my friends who've lost passports on vacation or had them stolen. I'll be sure to keep a photocopy in my bag!

It's nice that they accept copies now. I can't believe that you had to bring your passport before!

DisneyDust2013 said:
I am from Canada and would feel very uncomfortable bringing a document as important as my Passport to a theme park and risking it getting lost or wet on a ride. I really thought I would be fine to buy alcohol with just my valid Ontario driver's license but I guess I'm glad to come across this thread and will make sure to keep a photocopy of my passport with me in case I want to buy a drink, as much as that is rather annoying!

Which is another reason to apply for statehood. Really the best reason, well that and you wouldn't need a passport to visit Lord Stanley's Cup.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

I remember having to carry my passport around because my US drivers license had expired by a few days and I hadn't noticed in time to renew it since I never drive. Now that was annoying!

Didn't even think of this one. On our last trip (May/June) I can't remember if we were id'ed but if we were we would have only had our NZ drivers licence on us and we had no issues (thankfully, it would have put a kink in drinking around the world!)

I was sitting at the Prime Time bar last Monday (8/12) when the bartender would not accept a non us Drivers ID from the woman sitting beside me. They called the manager and he backed up the bartender - saying they needed a passport. The woman said they had been there 3 days and this was the first time she ran into an issue. She took it well but the entire party was not happy about having to show a passport to purchase a glass of wine.

I don't think this is new. I read about it ages ago on the Canadian board. People were saying they were turned away because they didn't have their passport on them at Epcot when trying to purchase alcohol.

Do they ask everyone who buys a drink for ID or is it an "age" thing? If you look like you could be young do they ask or can a 40+ year old not have to bring ID?

Camshell said:
Do they ask everyone who buys a drink for ID or is it an "age" thing? If you look like you could be young do they ask or can a 40+ year old not have to bring ID?

When I had to use my passport, I was asked for ID but my parents were not. I'd just turned 26 and I do look younger than my age though.

I'm from the UK and I used my UK DL fine at the beginning of this month for photo ID. I used it on both AKL and Epcot.

I never carried my passport though, I would see it as too much of a risk.

I'm a young looking 27 and I got asked about 25% of the time.

I often get asked for ID when using a credit card too which is bit of a pain in the butt. I've usually handed over my passport though, my drivers licence is a dodgy looking piece of laminated plastic.

You do release that is very bad advice? :rolleyes:

Actually, it's the law in the US. It's often ignored, but if you are not a US citizen, you are required to carry proof of your legal status (visa in passport) at all times.

I will admit though, even knowing this, I always left mine locked in the hotel safe. I wouldn't want to risk it in the parks. It helps that being Canadian, I can "pass". We just got our US citizenship so in 31 days it'll be our first passport-less trip. One less thing to worry about!

Actually, it's the law in the US. It's often ignored, but if you are not a US citizen, you are required to carry proof of your legal status (visa in passport) at all times.

I will admit though, even knowing this, I always left mine locked in the hotel safe. I wouldn't want to risk it in the parks. It helps that being Canadian, I can "pass". We just got our US citizenship so in 31 days it'll be our first passport-less trip. One less thing to worry about!

It's true, it's a legal requirement to be able to produce your passport (as proof of leave to remain) if requested by the police if you're not from the US (although this might not apply to Canadians?).

Florida isn't one of the states where the police have the power to arrest you if you don't have it, though.

I've been asked for my ID a few times at Disney (usually when buying a bottle of wine at the gift shops), and the first time I went to Disney I was 38. The last time was last year, when I was 42. I was buying wine at the AKL gift shop after dinner. My 16-year-old was with me, and she laughed when they asked me, and said "She's my mom". I didn't have it on me, and they let it go, and just said that I looked young. I don't look that young though!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter