• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chances of getting Jambo House with our DVC poibts

evolady73

Earning My Ears
hi all! I am looking into DVC. They are encouraging me to buy Copper Creek but my family will most likely never want to stay there. But we love Jambo house and have booked there 5 years straight (not with DVC). We toured Kidani but wasn’t in love with it either. If we buy home resort points at copper creek, what is the chances of us getting Jambo? If we buy points with AKL as our home resort, so we can book at 11months, will we more than likely always be able to get Jambo?

Whether you can get into Jambo at 7 months It depends on the time year/type of room you would be booking. Also keep in mind there are fewer DVC rooms at Jambo than at Kidani.

I like the advice that often gets posted on these boards...buy where you want to stay. Look into the resale market for AKL contracts if that is truly where you would want to stay the majority of the time. There is no sense paying the high premium direct price for Copper creek if you have no intention of staying there.

FYI...we are AKL owners and love it! We stay at Kidani most of the time as we like to book 1-bedrooms and like having the 2nd bath in the Kidani rooms.

I meant to mention that we always go between Jan 5th and the first week of March avoiding the Holidays.

Don't buy expensive retail CCV points to try to book anywhere but CCV. It's a poor value. It's made even worse by you having a clear resort preference that is Not CCV, and not just "be on property somewhere."

CCV direct are $182pp. You can easily buy AKV for $100-110pp, just based on a scan of current resale listings. For a 100 point contract, that's a savings of $8200 right there, and AKV has lower dues to boot. And you'd be booking Jambo at 11 months.

Don't buy expensive retail CCV points to try to book anywhere but CCV. It's a poor value. It's made even worse by you having a clear resort preference that is Not CCV, and not just "be on property somewhere."

CCV direct are $182pp. You can easily buy AKV for $100-110pp, just based on a scan of current resale listings. For a 100 point contract, that's a savings of $8200 right there, and AKV has lower dues to boot. And you'd be booking Jambo at 11 months.
They quoted us $172 a point. If I buy resale, would I be able to use those points in RCi or just Disney properties?

They quoted us $172 a point. If I buy resale, would I be able to use those points in RCi or just Disney properties?

If you buy resale, yes you can still use those points for RCI. The only thing you CANNOT use resale points for is the "Disney Collection" which is DCL, Adventures by Disney, and the other Disney resorts.

So we couldn’t use them at Aluniin Hawaii or Vero?

Oh yes you can use them at Aulani and Vero! You can use them at all DVC resorts, just not the non-DVC Disney resorts like Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, etc.

hi all! I am looking into DVC. They are encouraging me to buy Copper Creek but my family will most likely never want to stay there. But we love Jambo house and have booked there 5 years straight (not with DVC). We toured Kidani but wasn’t in love with it either. If we buy home resort points at copper creek, what is the chances of us getting Jambo? If we buy points with AKL as our home resort, so we can book at 11months, will we more than likely always be able to get Jambo?
I own at SSR, and we have stayed at AK Jambo and Kidani several times. Never have an issue with booking there. Right now in June through August there is a bunch of Availability there and that is considered Magic Season. Only thing higher demand is Premier. You'll be fine...

I own at SSR, and we have stayed at AK Jambo and Kidani several times. Never have an issue with booking there. Right now in June through August there is a bunch of Availability there and that is considered Magic Season. Only thing higher demand is Premier. You'll be fine...

The points required do not correspond with demand. If that was true, the points required for fall would be much higher.

You will want to do a lot more research into DVC before you buy resale or direct. Keep reading through the different threads on the forum here, especially the Purchase Forum.

Figure out what resort you want to buy (AKV from what your are saying). What UY (Use Year) is best, sounds like if your traveling January through March, a December UY would be best. How many points you will need, look into the Point Charts with the different seasons and the type of room you want (studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom).

Also, at AKV don't plan on being able to book "Value" rooms most of the time.

I'm in no way a huge DVC owner; we currently own 50 points at AKV and 60 points at BRV. I've intentionally purchased (all resale) this amount of points for my family, because this works best for how we plan WDW vacations (about every 2-3 years). So when it comes to purchasing, these are just my humble experiences/opinions:

#1 it's always been best to buy where you want to stay, and not have to fret about trying to get AKV rooms at 7 months (especially during peak times).
#2 i've yet to see any true benefit from buying direct when it involves AKV. Buying a small contract direct after you are already a DVC resale owner would give you those benefits if they are important for you.
#3 do as much due diligence as you can in all areas of DVC purchases (data, facts, and opinions); it's a commitment in time and money, so I don't take it lightly.
#4 take peoples opinions with a grain of salt, because everyone experiences DVC/WDW in much different ways. The data and facts should be weighted more in these sort of family financial decisions.
#5 I've always been realistic about my DVC purchase. I see it as a purchase so I can use rooms at my discretion each year (or combined years if banking/borrowing), and that those rooms be well maintained. My purchase doesn't entitle me to any special perks or benefits from Disney (I just see those as icing on the cake if I get them).

Keeping these points in my mind; my family have had 99% positive experiences with DVC. It's not perfect (that 1%), but it's been the perfect time share for my family. I feel the value we have gotten out of DVC has far outweighed the costs.

Magic and Premier are not the highest demand seasons for DVC. Fall Frenzy gets its name for a reason.

At AKV during DVC high demand season, between late September and early January, there are already availability holes at AKV-Jambo for a number of dates between October 1-December 24.

In general, the following is true:
  • DVC is one of the most expensive timeshares to own.
  • The highest value for any DVC points, purchased resale or direct, is for DVC resorts. Vero Beach, DHHI and Aulani are all DVC resorts.
  • Value for RCI trades is not as good, and any use for RCI trade should be viewed as an incidental use for the modern buyer, and not a key part of the value proposition.
  • The value seen in trades like RCI varies depending on when someone bought their points; the value is obviously far different for someone who bought points for $70 each 20 years ago than for people paying $170+ today.
  • People will GIVE you timeshares that trade into RCI fairly easily.
  • One should not buy some of the highest-priced points (retail direct points) without valuing the home resort option that they carry.

The points required do not correspond with demand. If that was true, the points required for fall would be much higher.
What's your point? The original post was concerned about availability at 7 months vs. 11 months for Jambo. If there is plenty of availability in the higher demand seasons at 7 months, the likelihood that there will also be availability in the lower demand season is pretty good. As far as DVC is concerned I would disagree with you though. It absolutely corresponds. That't why Spring Break and Xmas (Premier Season) require a significantly higher point commitment for a room. For week of Thanksgiving they are higher. Holidays and weekends are higher. Why? Because people have time off of work and kids are out of school, so the demand is higher.

Magic and Premier are not the highest demand seasons for DVC. Fall Frenzy gets its name for a reason.

At AKV during DVC high demand season, between late September and early January, there are already availability holes at AKV-Jambo for a number of dates between October 1-December 24.

In general, the following is true:
  • DVC is one of the most expensive timeshares to own.
  • The highest value for any DVC points, purchased resale or direct, is for DVC resorts. Vero Beach, DHHI and Aulani are all DVC resorts.
  • Value for RCI trades is not as good, and any use for RCI trade should be viewed as an incidental use for the modern buyer, and not a key part of the value proposition.
  • The value seen in trades like RCI varies depending on when someone bought their points; the value is obviously far different for someone who bought points for $70 each 20 years ago than for people paying $170+ today.
  • People will GIVE you timeshares that trade into RCI fairly easily.
  • One should not buy some of the highest-priced points (retail direct points) without valuing the home resort option that they carry.
As far as Disney is concerned they are the highest demand, which is why it cost significantly more points/cash to stay during those time periods. Your Fall Frenzy thought is just that, a thought. There is no statistical proof of that. Kids are all back at school in the fall, and the park attendance numbers fall. If not, then Disney would add that time period to the Magic and Premier Category. It certainly would not be in the Choice Category like all of September is...

What do you consider Fall? August is in the Dream and Magic Catagory (higher tiers). September is completely in the Magic Catagory (Lowest Tier) because outside of Labor Day Weekend, kids are all back in school by then, and the park attendance numbers drop. If not you are right, DVC would change it. The reason the demand is so high during that time is because there is a fair amount of folks that say eff it and go anyway because the points are so much cheaper. However, it is not enough of a demand that they feel they need to increase the value. If they had the value jacked up like Magic and Premiere for September, their attendance numbers would plummet. Respective to Disney standards of course...

As far as Disney is concerned they are the highest demand, which is why it cost significantly more points/cash to stay during those time periods. Your Fall Frenzy thought is just that, a thought. There is no statistical proof of that. Kids are all back at school in the fall, and the park attendance numbers fall. If not, then Disney would add that time period to the Magic and Premier Category. It certainly would not be in the Choice Category like all of September is...

There is absolutely proof of that for DVC.

Go on, go look at the RAT for July.
Now go look at the RAT for October.

One is free to book for all. One is home resort.

The issue is that DVC demand does not follow general resort demand, and Disney have, to date, not shown a willingness to free the DVC calendar from the same general patterns as the main resort calendar.

DVC owners tend to be older for a few reasons, namely 1) many people bought in the 90s and 2000s and 2) it costs a lot of money which takes time to save up for.

That means a lot of owners don't have kids in school and would prefer to go in the "off season" for WDW as a whole. In turn, fall is the busiest DVC season by far even though resort wide crowds are lower.

In turn, fall is the busiest DVC season by far even though resort wide crowds are lower.

To be fair, resort-side "seasons" do not seem to have caught up to present reality save a few weekends. October is quite crowded, and then you have Jersey Week and the end of F&W/Veteran's Day. At this point, the main impact is there are far fewer discounts offered, but rates are still middle-of-the-road by the standards of the year.

And October is not "not busy."

Disney have made fall a time of parties, a festival, runDisney, and many districts are now offering fall breaks.

I own at AKV. I bought my AKV contract resale a couple of years ago. There is a brisk resale market for DVC and there are several brokers who specialize in selling DVC resales. DIS sponsor The Timeshare Store is one of those brokers. Another big one is Fidelity, there are others as well. You can find the listings by googling DVC listings or the broker’s names. IMO the only reason to buy direct is if you want to mostly stay at the resort they are currently selling, in your case you don’t, so resale is something to seriously consider. Take a look at the ROFR thread to get an idea of what others are paying for AKV.
If you want the direct member benefits just buy a 25 point add on at AKV after you complete your resale purchase.
We prefer Jambo, which does book faster than Kidani (Kidani has a lot more villas.) Be aware that all of the villas in Jambo are on the 5th and 6th floor.
Availability is changing, there are a couple of threads that track availability, and certain times of year are tough and getting tougher to book. AKV generally is easier to get than the smaller resorts, but as I mentioned, Jambo is tougher and the value and club villas there are often very hard to get even at 11 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter