Celiac Friendly

DonaldnDaisy5

DIS Veteran
Hi we are traveling with someone who has celiac and are looking for some great quick service and sit down restaurants that offer gluten free options. When I searched there were older threads but with all the changes I thought there may be some new or different suggestions and experiences

Disney is one of the best places for people with food allergies. Your friend should be able to find something safe to eat at most QS and TS restaurants, especially if they don’t have any allergies other than gluten. If you are looking at QS places that do mobile order you can look at the menus directly from the MDE app and see what options each place has. Everyone’s got their favorites, but some ideas for QS to get you started might be:

MK—Columbia Harbor House has grilled salmon/grilled shrimp with rice and green beans and chicken tenders/fries. Cosmic Rays has burgers, hot dogs, salads, mac n cheese, fries. Pecos Bill has burgers, nachos, chicken/pork/veggie rice bowl. Pinocchio has pizza, chicken nuggets, fries.

EP—Regal Eagle has ribs, chicken, burgers, brisket, pulled pork, salads. The QS sushi place is great too. Both restaurants in Mexico have GF options. Sunshine Tree has lots of GF too.

AK—Satuli Canteen bowls are awesome. Pizzafari has pizza obviously. Flame Tree BBQ has ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc. Nomad lounge has Gluten Free churros !!!!

HS—Rosie’s has burgers, chicken tenders. ABC Commissary and Backlot have salads, burgers, sandwiches. Most of the sit down restaurants here have lots of GF options too.

Outside of the parks, at the resorts and Disney Springs, there are lots of TS options. If you know which resort you’re staying at and some ideas of your plans, we can probably offer up some more suggestions. We love Frontera Grill, Jaleo, and Sprinkles cupcakes in Disney Springs, Narcoosee’s and Grand Floridian Cafe at the GF, and Sanna at AKL.

Have a great trip!!

Gluten-free is probably pretty available, but don't expect much variety if any other sensitivities are a concern.

I've gluten and dairy intolerances and found that combo much more difficult than pre-covid when we were there in the fall.

Ordering from the allergy-friendly kids menus may be a better option some places.

QS will probably be somewhat more limited than TS, because QS uses so many packaged ingredients. QS will have a book listing ingredients used for menu items. Asking to see that may be useful.

If mobile ordering for your party, the person needing g-f will likely need to order in person at the counter instead. Allergy-friendly items may not be orderable on mobile ordering.

We found Trattoria al Forno and Topolino's especially accommodating. Chefs at both were very willing to modify dishes as needed and even account for dislikes. Highly recommended.

I found out that I have a gluten allergy just two years ago and thought I wasn't going to be able to eat many of the things that I used to love at WDW. I was SO wrong!

The beauty of the mobile ordering now is that you can click on the "Allergy Friendly" tab, scroll through to the "Gluten/Wheat Friendly" section, and see every meal that they offer a gluten-free version for. Disney is WONDERFUL about preventing cross-contamination, making sure everything is prepared separately and even presented to you on a separate tray.

I was very surprised with the amount of options available at quick service. Gluten free chicken tenders, buns for burgers/hot dogs, fries fried separately, desserts, flatbreads, and more.

CMs at snack stands (like the ones in DAK) were always helpful and willing to check ingredients for me as well.

Sit down restaurants are of course ever so accommodating. We ate at CRT for brunch one day, and even though their allergy menu said nothing of it, they brought out a plate of gluten free breakfast pastries for me as a surprise appetizer.

Disney is truly one of the best places to try to eat as someone with allergies.

I have been to Disney many times as a Celiac. Our most recent trip however was very disappointing. We were told “supply chain issues” were the reasons many things were not available. Specifically there were very limited options, no gluten free baked goods seemed to be available unless you went to Erin McKennas at Disney Springs, Boardwalk Bakery had no gluten free menu, Raglan Road had no flour to make anything fried and don’t even get me started on Tusker House breakfast. The assorted pastries listed on the menu for gluten free were the same brown dinner rolls that they served everywhere else for dinner. I spoke to the manager about that one and he was completely clueless about what his own menu said. Then somebody dug around in a freezer to find me two cinnamon sugar doughnuts, but only after I complained about price versus product. Best meals were Tony’s at MK and Trattoria at Boardwalk. Worst meals were Raglan Road and Mama Melrose. MM has always been a favorite, again just skimpy choices and pizza seemed like it was thawed and baked. Same brown rolls everywhere. Disney has always been a go to for us, specifically because we never had to worry about feeding me. We’ll be making other vacation choices until we hear that Disney has pulled it together.

Disney is truly one of the best places to try to eat as someone with allergies.
Pre-Covid, yes, indeed.

However, like tinkarooni, I had a mostly miserable time of it last fall.

I suspect both staff and supply shortages were to blame, especially at Chefs de France where I'd always had wonderful meals. Not last trip, really disappointing.

Trattoria al Forno (both breakfast and dinner), Topolino's and Cali Grill were marvelous. Oh, and Beaches and Cream, where they gave me two turkey sandwiches that were delicious as was my pineapple fake-ice cream sundae.

I'm so sorry y'all had bad experiences! My trip in August 2021 and two trips in March 2022 were surprisingly pleasant. Maybe I lucked out with certain restaurants/CMs and happened to avoid the bad ones!

Mickey bars are gluten free, but don't take my word for it - as with everything not actually listed on an allergy-friendly menu, be sure to double-check the ingredient book (which now seems to be on an IPad). Lots of good stuff at Erin McKenna's at DS. Blaze (also at DS) has a couple of gluten-free crust options and will dispense your sauce from a separate bin uncontaminated by their ladles; they'll also change gloves before touching your pizza and can tell you which toppings are GF. If you're trying to avoid the notorious brown dinner rolls, try Whispering Canyon (BTW the standard skillet is gluten-free) or Boatwright's at Port Orleans (DH has celiac and loves going there for jambalaya); they generally have GF cornbread available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter