Celiac and eating at Universal

Kriii

DIS Veteran
I have celiac and several food sensitivities and plan to bring a lunch to Universal, storing it in a locker until time to eat. Anyone else who has traveled under these circumstances have advice? Does this plan sound viable?

I have celiac as well. When I went 2 years ago I had really good experiences for the most part. There is not a lot of on line info and customer service does not provide a lot of info. But, I found that all the restaurants were able to accommodate me. Mythos and 3 Broomsticks were amazing. I'm still drooling over the grand feast at 3B. The simpsons was accommodating but the food was really awful! I don't recommend it at all. We hit a couple other carts but nothing stands out in my memory anymore. We did eat at 3B 2x in 3 days b/c it was so good! So, it is much harder to prepare as we celiacs like to do. I chose not to bring a lunch at all, and I did not regret it. Not knowing your other food sensitivities though, it is harder to say.

One of our party has Celiac and ate well at Universal for four days last week. Finnegans, Mythos, Margaritaville, Bubba Gump Shrimp, dippin dots ice cream carts, Ben and Jerry's ice cream at Schwabbs, and Moe's southwestern grill at Citywalk were all very accomodating and we had no cross contamination issues. We found table service places easier and very affordable. Loved not having so many reservations this trip. The volcano nachos at Margaritaville were a big hit!

My boyfriend has celiacs and we found it more gluten friendly than I thought. I didn't see a lot of info online, but many places were accomodating.

We stayed at Cabana Bay and they had grab and go gluten free items for breakfast as well as other items that could be made, though we didn't eat there I did notice that.

Breadbox on Citywalk had gluten free bread, but there is a risk of cross contamination in their kitchen. Moes has gluten free items too we didn't eat it at the parks but we eat it at home all the time.

We had great meals at Mama Dellas at Portofino Bay, Mythos in IOA, and Margaritaville on Citywalk. Margaritaville has the biggest gluten free menu on Citywalk.

I've also heard the Three Broomsticks and The Kitchen at the Hard Rock have good gluten free food. Most QS places will have gluten free buns etc, and Confisco Grille, Lombardis, and Finnegans should have gluten free items marked on their menus.

DD10 has Celiac and it'll be our first time. I've read conflicting reports of the Butterbeer being safe. Does anyone here have experience with that? How about the pumpkin juice?

DD10 has Celiac and it'll be our first time. I've read conflicting reports of the Butterbeer being safe. Does anyone here have experience with that? How about the pumpkin juice?
We were there last year. My 12 year old daughter has extremely sensitive Celiac. She had Butterbeer and frozen butterbeer and was fine with both. We didn't need to ask for anything special it was GF as normally sold. We both much preferred the frozen ones.

This is the very confusing/difficult to read reply I got when I emailed guest services for our upcoming trip:
"Hi, in Universal Studios. We have fruit stands in the parks with apples, oranges, grapes, watermelon on them. Also have lemon and strawberry slush carts which will be ok, also have turkey legs on carts that are just smoke plain. We have a full service unit it is Lombard's landing and Finnegan’s, We have a chef in each unit have the server bring the chef to the table and he can go over all the things he can do for you In Islands of Adventure we have 2 full service units one called Confisco's and one is Mytho's, We have Chefs in both of those units, have server bring Chef to table and he can go over the things he can do for you,. I have another walk up unit it is Thunder Falls, I have smoke chicken, smoke ribs, and roasted corn on cob and roasted potatoes with fresh herbs and salt and pepper, also have French fries all natural cooked in soy blend oil that is the only thing cooked in those fryers too. If you need any more information or help feel free to give me a call at 321-388-2123, Chef Bob. I will also say no desserts at all from any of the restaurants too.

We also offer gluten free pasta in the full service restaurants in both parks and at café four and at louies italian, there is a Ben and Jerry’s Ice cream shop in USF that has gluten free ice cream. We also have three broomsticks which have smoked chicken and smoked pork ribs, roasted corn on cob, baked potatoes, roasted potatoes with onions, garlic, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs and some salads too.

Also units have a gluten free bun available too.

The butterbeer is gluten free

Popcorn is gluten free. The soft serve at florean ice cream is ok not the hard pack ice cream.

At leaky there is a vegetable platter no bread and a chicken sandwich on a gluten free bun.

There is gluten free pancakes at the breakfasts, bacon, eggs, fruit"

well, it doesn't look like a pre set up spiel they sent you.

does have the basics and do call Chef Bob at that number.
that is the one i have also when i am asked to share how to contact the head of dietary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter