Celebration Button Etiquette

Years ago DH & I took our boys to the World after a 5 year absence. It was our 40th Birthday celebration even though we had to take the trip months later than our birthdays due to DH's work schedule. We are both Summer babies and couldn't go until November. We received pins at check in and wore them the entire week! Didn't matter to us that we had already had our birthdays. We were so happy just to be back hanging out with Mickey - having a blast and celebrating in style!

Your on a birthday trip, wear it as much as you want...

btw, you'll have it off by the end of the first night :) some can last but many it's just too much attention. I do like pulling out a button during parades though, it's scored me some great photos.

Last edited:
My kids wear them all week and I see nothing wrong with it, including adults. To each their own. One trip we were there for dd bday and she had hers on. As we were waiting for the bus, one of the CMs started talking to us and began handing us various buttons for no reason, just being friendly I guess. I walked away with Happily Ever After and I think dh and ds were both given I'm Celebrating. We didn't wear them since it didn't really make any sense, but a perfect example that Disney doesn't care what you do! :banana:Wear it as long as you want.

I initially thought it was fun when I wore my birthday pin and got lots of attention from the CMs, but by the end of the second day I was feeling a bit like a fraud. Even on the parade routes the princesses would wave and mouth "Happy Birthday!“ After receiving about 45 well wishes, I started to feel badly. Kind of like I was making the poor CMs work extra hard and feel compelled to smile and congratulate me. The CMs were awesome and always seemed so truly happy to say Happy Birthday, but after two days I felt I had had my fair share of well wishes.

I love all the celebration pins they USED to have (no more anniversary or galactic hero pins - boo disney). When I went last year, it was my husband, brother and sister in law, and cousin in law. We were all celebrating our cousins birthday. He got the birthday pin and we all got the "Im celebrating" pins and wrote down "I'm celebrating _______ birthday!" So you could do something like that for the third party member. Or she could be celebrating your nieces first trip! That's certainly something for everyone to celebrate! Haha! Or if you really want to get crazy, she could celebrate both the birthday and the first trip and write it on the celebration pin!

??? they have these...
Yep! The red anniversary pins are no more. My husband and I went 2 weeks ago to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. We asked for those pins and they told us they don't make them anymore! They offered us the "happily ever after" ones that people usually use when they first get married/engaged but we said no. It was our choice, but it wasn't the same.
Then later on that day we went to Buzz Lightyear and my husband got a score of 999,999, which he has gotten before and received an Emperor Zurg decorated pin. But on this day, they informed us that they don't make those pins anymore and gave us a sheet of paper that resembled a certificate.
It's the little things that matter to my husband and me in Disney. Disney specializes in making little things special. It mattered to us that these were taken away. We still love Disney but it's just another thing that Disney seems to deem "unnecessary" now I suppose :(

oh wow, in that case, they just stopped it . You might want to ask around the less common places for pins like gift shops and similar. especially that one off to the side by guest relations in epcot. you might luck out.

I wore a "I'm Celebrating My 15542nd Unbirthday" pin on our trip, and had people say "Happy Birthday" to me.

Back when BOG only gave you the "grey stuff" if it was your birthday, people's birthday celebrations lasted up to 11 months :)

If we truly booked a trip for a special reason - like in January we are going for my husband's 60th anniversary, he will wear the pin pretty much all week. Or, maybe only when we pick a few special meals for him, and have a birthday cake delivered he would wear it that day. I think it depends on the event. If you are there to get married or for an anniversary week I say wear it all week. For a first trip - wear it every day.

Yep! The red anniversary pins are no more. My husband and I went 2 weeks ago to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. We asked for those pins and they told us they don't make them anymore! They offered us the "happily ever after" ones that people usually use when they first get married/engaged but we said no. It was our choice, but it wasn't the same.
Then later on that day we went to Buzz Lightyear and my husband got a score of 999,999, which he has gotten before and received an Emperor Zurg decorated pin. But on this day, they informed us that they don't make those pins anymore and gave us a sheet of paper that resembled a certificate.
It's the little things that matter to my husband and me in Disney. Disney specializes in making little things special. It mattered to us that these were taken away. We still love Disney but it's just another thing that Disney seems to deem "unnecessary" now I suppose :(

I can't help but think in part they have discontinued so many pins because so many people are asking for them, wearing them, and (for some) expecting something because they are wearing them.

I've been to Disney for my birthday twice. The first time, it was a 3 day trip and my birthday was on departure day, so I wore it for the entire 3 days. The 2nd time, I only wore it on my actual birthday. Last year, we did another quick 3 day trip. On the 2nd day, we were first in line at one of the Epcot tapstiles, and we were chatting with a CM. She asked if there was any particular reason for our trip, and I mentioned I was pregnant and we wanted to fit in one last trip as a family of 2. She went and got "I'm Celebrating" buttons for us and wrote "It's a baby!" and my due date on the button. I wore it for the rest of the day and the next day. I never expect to receive anything extra other than well-wishes, but wearing the buttons when I am actually celebrating something make me feel special. We are planning to take DS next year and I'm definitely getting him a 1st visit pin!

In the end, though, it's just a button. As long as you don't have a sense of entitlement to go along with your button, it doesn't matter to me if you're wearing one.

I've not wore a birthday button (yet)
Wore anniversary button (all trip)
Mother's Day (on the day)
I'm celebrating. (My dds graduation-all trip)
I'm celebrating (life-all trip)

Our next trip I will be celebrating my unbirthday and my dhs 50th-he never wears a button.

I'm in the minority - I personally don't like the pins when I got engaged, and I said oh I'll put the pin on it brought some unwanted attention lol. To each their own.

IF I was going to wear the birthday button it would be the day of - I think I would be embarrassed to hear Happy Birthday all week long.

I can't help but think in part they have discontinued so many pins because so many people are asking for them, wearing them, and (for some) expecting something because they are wearing them.
I think you might be right but, so what? Even when my husband and I check in at any Disney hotel and they ask us, "are you celebrating anything this trip?" We say "No." And 9/10 times they usually say something like, "You're not celebrating anything this trip?" As if we're supposed to be celebrating something And we say "well, we're just relaxing this trip." No joke, they offer us a celebration pin for us celebrating "relaxing." LOL! We still said "No thank you."
I think this all came from their "celebration theme" a few years back when disney encouraged celebrating and pins. Now they're trying to tone it down. But it's those little things like the anniversary pins and galactic hero pins that my goofy self and husband used to love!
I don't like that people probably abused them, which might be why we can't get those pins anymore :(

I think you might be right but, so what? Even when my husband and I check in at any Disney hotel and they ask us, "are you celebrating anything this trip?" We say "No." And 9/10 times they usually say something like, "You're not celebrating anything this trip?" As if we're supposed to be celebrating something And we say "well, we're just relaxing this trip." No joke, they offer us a celebration pin for us celebrating "relaxing." LOL! We still said "No thank you."
I think this all came from their "celebration theme" a few years back when disney encouraged celebrating and pins. Now they're trying to tone it down. But it's those little things like the anniversary pins and galactic hero pins that my goofy self and husband used to love!
I don't like that people probably abused them, which might be why we can't get those pins anymore :(

I think it is like when they used to have the divers at the Coral Reef that would hold up signs for guests. At first, it was easy enough to do, and everyone was happy. Later on, they got more and more requests, and it was not so easy to fill all of them and make everyone happy. It is easy enough to hand out the buttons. But I would bet there are many guests who think the buttons will get them something and complain when they don't.

They made the monster, but it sounds like they are trying to tame it a bit now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter