• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebrating birthdays 3 months later?

and that you dont think being a survivor is special enough to celebrate!,Im sure many survivors of cancer and other major illnesses,would feel the complete opposite.

Look, I have tremendous sympathy for you and your family in this difficult time. But what you claim I said here is precisely the opposite of what I actually said. Being alive is a reason to celebrate. Beating back a life-threatening illness is a great reason to celebrate. Neither makes you more special than anyone else at WDW. Neither is a good reason to claim it is your birthday when it is not your birthday.

Here's hoping you have a long and healthy life full of many more opportunities to wear whatever buttons you want whether those buttons are true or not.

Anyone who says they don't wear a button for attention is kidding themselves. Why else would you wear one and announce your birthday to complete strangers?

Your family knows the trip is in honor of your birthday, no need to remind them. I'd assume it's not because you want little holes in your shirt. I also don't think it's because you want all your vacation pictures to include a silly looking pin. I don't know about anyone else, but Disney is my happy place so I don't need to look down at a piece of metal to remind myself to have a great time.

Why else do you want to wear one when it's not your birthday???

Actually that is one of my reasons :lmao: that i want that pin in my pics,or rather i want my memories to include the pin so we can look back and remember the time,,

I didn't ask for the pin I wore. The CM who checked us in at Yacht Club gave it to me. The CM is the one who chose to give me a birthday pin, not a celebration pin. And yes, I told her my birthday was not during the actual trip, but a few days later.

I honestly didn't think it was a big enough deal to then make a special trip to guest relations to pick up a different one. I just said thank you in appreciation, and wore it in the spirit in which it was given to me. I didn't think I needed to second guess the CM.:confused3

I actually also know of a few people that have picked up im celebrating buttons, when a CM has then asked them what they are celebrating they have explained it and the cm has then come back and given them the birthday/anniversary button :rotfl2: so that didnt work out to well for them....

i completely get everything you have been trying to say, when i wear my badge in May it will be for me! not for everyone else to have to wish me happy birthday!

On the bus ride back to CBR in June, I told an older gentleman "happy birthday" because he had a button on. He told me that his real birthday was a few weeks earlier. I think I was more embarrassed than he was ☺️

Why would or should anyone be embarrassed, though? I mean, besides the fact that no one ever taught him to just say "thank you".

That's just a silly argument that doesn't address the point of what I was saying. Whether anyone did that or not (and I doubt hardly anyone ever would) they would be consciously misleading people to believe it is THEIR birthday. The problem is Disney cast members and others don't hardly do anything special for people who wear a birthday button because so many are dishonest about it really being their birthday,

Do you think it's silly? I don't. I think it's the key, the heart of the matter. I think it's fundamentally important to the whole discussion.

It does not say "it's my birthday". Period.

So you cannot say that a person wearing it is misleading anyone. Well, I don't think you should, anyway.

If everyone there were wearing a button because it was their actual birthday, CMs would be just as overwhelmed with the number of people as if everyone there was NOT celebrating their birthday that day but still wearing a button. It's like people who grump about seeing many people in ECVs who go the wrong direction; they think people are cheating, while I think "wow, Disney is such an easy vacation destination for those on wheels, of course we'll see many people there who use ECVs! awesome!" Disney has created a place where celebrating is wanted, accepted, and invited. Gosh, they created a whole community NAMED after celebrating things!

Disney did this to themselves on purpose. They had that year of birthdays being free. They changed the buttons. They give the buttons out willy nilly.

A CM in line once asked me if I had been on Peter Pan at Disneyland before; I said yes, but this was our first time that visit. He gave us First Visit buttons. Say what? They WANT to give the buttons. I can only assume that it's fun for them; I doubt they get a kickback on the number of buttons they give. I took my friend for her bonafide first visit to WDW the other week, and CMs were completely happy for her and excited about it! If she had accepted every first visit button offered (it's possible that I was mentioning it a lot, LOL) she would have been loaded down with buttons from head to toe.

I think maybe I ran into different CMs than others do.

(Second note: I find it interesting how many people have posted that their kids intuit there is something wrong with wearing a button when it's not your birthday. But your son goes even farther than that. Kudos!)

You think kids are intuiting things.

I think that some kids are outgoing and like the possibility of attention, while others are not outgoing and don't want that chance. Same as adults. I don't think there's any intuiting happening at all. Just different personalities.

tumblr_inline_mla7ociZz91qz4rgp.gif

Haha this thread is completely ridiculous it's like a bad reality show you can't stop watching

I have found it fascinating yet not at all surprising. Any time you take a straightforward rule (wear birthday buttons on your birthday) and decide that the rule should not be strictly applied, it raises the question: Where do you draw the line?

Everybody always has the same answer: "Right here at my own toes."

Does anyone truly believe they are going to change the opinion of someone else on the other side ? No, didn't think so. :upsidedow I know one thing I would hate to live with some of the posters that take a stand to the death ..a family argument much be so much fun. " my way or the highway ".

Does anyone truly believe they are going to change the opinion of someone else on the other side ? No, didn't think so. :upsidedow I know one thing I would hate to live with some of the posters that take a stand to the death ..a family argument much be so much fun. " my way or the highway ".

I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I just don't appreciate being asked why I do something, answering the question, and then being told that I'm lying that it can't be that, that it must be *this* instead. Nor do I appreciate being called a liar, or various other judgments that were put forth here. I'll own that that pushes my buttons a bit, and I've gotten more defensive in this thread than I ever intended to, and for that I apologize.

I certainly never meant for it to come across as "my way or the highway" - as I do respect that others feel differently on pretty much every subject on the board.

Where has Disney stated this straightforward rule?

Honestly asking...I must have missed it.

I don't remember where it is, but it's a pretty important rule.

It's right up there with "Thou shalt not kill" and "You do not talk about Fight Club".

I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I just don't appreciate being asked why I do something, answering the question, and then being told that I'm lying that it can't be that, that it must be *this* instead. Nor do I appreciate being called a liar, or various other judgments that were put forth here. I'll own that that pushes my buttons a bit, and I've gotten more defensive in this thread than I ever intended to, and for that I apologize.

I certainly never meant for it to come across as "my way or the highway" - as I do respect that others feel differently on pretty much every subject on the board.

You are certainly NOT one of the ones I was talking about. You owe no further explanations to anyone. In fact I give you, and a few others, credit for explaining circumstances as much as you did. You have much more patience than I do.

I have found it fascinating yet not at all surprising. Any time you take a straightforward rule (wear birthday buttons on your birthday) and decide that the rule should not be strictly applied, it raises the question: Where do you draw the line?

Everybody always has the same answer: "Right here at my own toes."

But its not a rule? not Disneys anyways they dont actually care,infact they encourage it like so many others have said.

HA does it push your "birthday buttons" :lmao:
sorry i just had too.

Where has Disney stated this straightforward rule?

Honestly asking...I must have missed it.

This rule is listed in the same place as the rules "wash your hands after going to the bathroom" and "don't hold up your iPad to record a parade."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter