• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebrating birthdays 3 months later?

*snork* :lmao: I hope that your DH's surgery goes well :hug:.

Thanks!!!! He has it on Monday. We would have been leaving four days later.

It's been a huge three ring circus to get the exact course of treatment decided upon and scheduled, over a month of rigamarole. I'm so glad I had the good sense to reschedule immediately when I had an inkling that things may not work out. We decided to add 3 more days on, as we are all going to need a nice long vacation at that point!!!

Meanwhile, I'll make another batch of popcorn and enjoy this thread ;)

If you go back and read the posts, I was wearing my button a few *days* before my birthday. I have not ever worn a birthday button 6 months away from my birthday at Disney, and I never would. The anniversary button trip was a combination of circumstances that will never happen again. It was a one time thing, and it was our *only* anniversary celebration that year. It isn't like we were celebrating it twice, and we were entirely honest about what the full situation was. No lying at all, though that's been implied here. From posts here, it's like we should have just forfeited having an anniversary at all that year.

I really find it hard to believe that, on a board of Disney lovers, people can't understand being so wrapped up in your trip and experience that you really don't care about what everyone around you is doing or saying. :confused3

AS for perks - I've already said, I don't believe the fact that it's a birthday means I'm entitled to anything free or special from Disney.

I did read your post and understand that you personally don't wear the birthday buttons except within a few days (except in very extenuating circumstances). I never said that anyone, much less you specifically, were lying. My point is that there is an element of wanting attention, that's why someone would wear a birthday pin months removed from their birthday at WDW but not at home alone in their pajamas.

As to your question of why anyone would care I can think of two reasons. (1). I get tired of people acting as if the truth or reality doesn't matter. The fact is 3 or 4 months after your birthday is not your birthday. It is as simple as that. We equivocate and obfuscate about everything because there is always some reason why general rules shouldn't apply in our specific situation. As others have stated, I doubt hardly anyone would wear a birthday pin June if the pin stated that their birthday was in November because they are fine with wearing the button as long as the truth or reality of the situation is not on display. (2). The birthday pin was originally meant to be something special on a specific day and the wearer got some perks and special considerations it because it was a special day and they decided to spend that special day at Disney. It has however, been so watered down because people just want the perks and special considerations that those perks and special considerations have mostly been done away with so it does water it down for people who are actually at Disney on their birthday. I used to let people with birthday pins get in front of us in line or buy them a trinket from the carts before the electrical parade and tell them happy birthday but it has gotten to where you feel there are too many people who are just gaming the system.

My point is that there is an element of wanting attention, that's why someone would wear a birthday pin months removed from their birthday at WDW but not at home alone in their pajamas.

The "attention wanting" posts were directed at me as well, even days away from the birthday. I absolutely agree that there are many who wear the buttons at *any* time who are wanting attention. I just don't agree that *everyone* who wears a button *ever* (even on the day of, or days away from it) is doing so because they crave attention - which is what the discussion had been about.

As to the rest - I think that may be a response for another poster. I didn't ask that. I think it's pretty obvious here that people care because they feel they are being lied to and people are getting perks they shouldn't.

What I did say was regarding the attention claim and that I can't believe that Disney lovers here on the DIS can't understand that someone would be so happy to be in Disney, and so wrapped up in their family, that they truly aren't noticing what others are saying or doing around them. If I'm so wrapped up in my trip and my family that I'm not paying much mind to what those around me are saying and doing- which is how I personally am at Disney - then how is it done for attention? Wanting attention implies that you're paying attention to how others are around you...I don't. I'm honestly too happy to be in my Disney happy place to notice.

Like I said, maybe I'm weird in that respect...DH certainly tells me I can be odd like that...but I'm just there being a kid again for a little while.

Ok, I guess I'll stick my toe into this thread.

Once, I wore the Happy Birthday button on my actual birthday. It was fun! I had never been told Happy Birthday so many times before on my birthday!

I wasn't trying to get anything free and I did not get anything free, except the banjo playing singers in Frontierland sang me a special Happy Birthday song.

(I wouldn't wear it, if it wasn't the actual day.)

Yeah, IDK what else it could be. Sounds like a serious case of FOMO. ;)

Well that's rude. Insinuating that I have FOMO because my opinion differs from yours? To use your quote, "you can keep saying that but it doesn't make it true. That's YOUR truth, not mine".

20 pages later, people are continuing to offer their opinion. Nobody said their vacations would be affected by others wearing a button.

And speaking of missing out...what are we missing out on exactly? I thought you said it wasn't about receiving "free stuff". Sounds like it is.

This is so funny - there is a similar thread on the DL board, and there's about 10 responses last I checked. And every response said, "Don't worry about it - do what you want."

But here it's a 21 page long ethical debate.

Well that's rude. Insinuating that I have FOMO because my opinion differs from yours? To use your quote, "you can keep saying that but it doesn't make it true. That's YOUR truth, not mine".

20 pages later, people are continuing to offer their opinion. Nobody said their vacations would be affected by others wearing a button.

And speaking of missing out...what are we missing out on exactly? I thought you said it wasn't about receiving "free stuff". Sounds like it is.

My post wasn't meant to be rude, so I'm sorry you took it that way.

Also, a lot of people's "opinions" on here have been posted as "facts". Such as "The ONLY reason you wear a button is for attention". Many posters in this thread have accused basically anyone that wears a button of using it to get free stuff, when it was repeatedly stated that wasn't the case. I'm not saying it never happens, because oh I'm sure it does. However, I never received anything for free the one time I went for my birthday, and I never expected to so it's not like I'm getting something and laughing at those who don't.

The "attention wanting" posts were directed at me as well, even days away from the birthday. I absolutely agree that there are many who wear the buttons at *any* time who are wanting attention. I just don't agree that *everyone* who wears a button *ever* (even on the day of, or days away from it) is doing so because they crave attention - which is what the discussion had been about.

If you wore a birthday button/celebration button all day in DW and not one cm or guest acknowledged it for the whole day, would you be even just a teeny tiny bit disappointed? Or think about or notice that no one mentioned it? Of course you would, because it's human nature.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting a bit attention. It's nice to feel special. I would just argue that everyone who wears a button would like at least a bit of attention.

If you wore a birthday button/celebration button all day in DW and not one cm or guest acknowledged it for the whole day, would you be even just a teeny tiny bit disappointed? Or think about or notice that no one mentioned it? Of course you would, because it's human nature.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting a bit attention. It's nice to feel special. I would just argue that everyone who wears a button would like at least a bit of attention.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Yes, this is extremely entertaining :) Here's the funny thing - I mentioned the birthday buttons to my son yesterday, and, in typical 7 year old boy fashion, he replies "I'm not wearing a dumb button. Not even on my real birthday." Ha!

This was my 14 year old son a few weeks ago. We went to Sci Fi for his birthday dinner. He reluctantly put the button on anyway. Funny thing about it is only 2 CMs told him happy birthday that day, and one of those CMs was his Dad. It was in fact his actual birthday too. Sometimes I think they see them so much now they don't pay as much attention to them as they used to.

Actually, no, I wouldn't. I have stated so repeatedly in this thread. As I've also said, I.understand I may be odd in that, but I truly would not be disappointed in the least.

Been reading this post and finally decided to give my opinion. I know, I know who cares, but we've been going to WDW forever and have seen MANY changes over the years. Personally I don't care if people wear the buttons 6 months after their birthday. I think it is a fun thing to do. The only thing is....YES the cast members are so used to buttons that it is not special anymore. Years ago it was. I can remember when my kids were little (they are adults now). We always were at WDW during my son's birthday and he would wear a pin and get tons of pixie dust. Desserts, getting to ride a ride again, cards, characters would write Happy Birthday in his book, etc. etc. Now SOOO many people are wearing buttons that CMS have become numb to them. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, yes some CMS still wish you a Happy Birthday, it's just not the same. Now, with that being said, I find that big Anniversarys still do get attention. We were there this year during our 40th Anniversary and got loads of attention. A lot of CMS, and for that matter strangers, kept asking us what the secret is. My favorite was the CM at Epcot who asked me if I married at age 10!

ANYWAY, what I am trying to say is yes go ahead and wear a pin for birthdays, anniversarys, anything you want, just don't expect anything and it you get something just enjoy it!!

Enjoy The Magic!!
And BTW, the "secret" is laughter and lots of trips to Disney!! LOL!!

I'm still in the camp of do what makes you happy. Others wearing buttons don't bother me because I'm usually just enjoying being at my happy place ☺️

On the bus ride back to CBR in June, I told an older gentleman "happy birthday" because he had a button on. He told me that his real birthday was a few weeks earlier. I think I was more embarrassed than he was ☺️

i'm still in the camp of do what makes you happy. Others wearing buttons don't bother me because i'm usually just enjoying being at my happy place ☺️

on the bus ride back to cbr in june, i told an older gentleman "happy birthday" because he had a button on. He told me that his real birthday was a few weeks earlier. I think i was more embarrassed than he was ☺️

+1

From experience (posted above) loads of CMs will acknowledge the button. No worry there.

This was my 14 year old son a few weeks ago. We went to Sci Fi for his birthday dinner. He reluctantly put the button on anyway. Funny thing about it is only 2 CMs told him happy birthday that day, and one of those CMs was his Dad. It was in fact his actual birthday too. Sometimes I think they see them so much now they don't pay as much attention to them as they used to.
I think so too.

I'm sorry, the attacks were coming in from so many directions I didn't get a chance to respond to every one. You have my deepest sympathies for what you and your family are going through. I admire your courage and determination to get everything you can out of life. If it makes you feel better to announce to the world that it is your birthday when it is not your birthday, go for it.

All of us need to celebrate being alive every single day, no matter where we are. Yet Disney does not print up buttons that say I'M ALIVE because that statement is true of 100% of their guests on any given day. It is also true that 100% of the guests do not know if they will reach their next birthday. It's a great reason to celebrate. I just don't feel that being alive, by itself, justifies announcing to strangers that today is your birthday if it is not.

Wow im quite saddend by your views that somebody who can not be at Disney due to life saving surgery, will be clebrating a milestone birthday 2 months before the actual day!
I can guarentee that the wearing of a badge is not for attention from others its because its my birthday trip that i was never expected to have! and im going to be celebrating with my family and making a big deal "between us" that im still able to be a mother! And every time we call up to make dining reservations they ask if were celebrating,I tell them i am they ask what i tell them what,and they tell me to MAKE sure i celebrate my birthday for that whole trip! They know its not my actual bday, however they want my to celebrate it....im not celebrating it months after my birthday im doing it 2 months before my birthday!
I dont think also that i will be celebrating my birthday on my actual day since after a 9 hour operation i will then by in the ICU so i wont be double dipping....
Or getting anything extra infact i wont even see my children for 4 days as they dont allow children into the ICU.
And your view on they dont do im ALIVE pins because everyone is alive,and that nobody knows if they will see their next birthday,is very hard to hear when somebody has been battling for a long time! and that you dont think being a survivor is special enough to celebrate!,Im sure many survivors of cancer and other major illnesses,would feel the complete opposite.

I feel sorry for you,to have to view the world as you do in such a negative way,always believing somebody is pulling the wool over your eyes.

Actually, no, I wouldn't. I have stated so repeatedly in this thread. As I've also said, I.understand I may be odd in that, but I truly would not be disappointed in the least.

I realize that you've said over and over that you wouldn't be disappointed. But would you really not notice at the end of the day in your mind, as you took off your pin, that nobody acknowledged it? :confused3

IMO...all this celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, or whatever months apart from the actual dates is completely ridiculous and somewhat obnoxious. If you're not in WDW on the actual day, then you don't celebrate it when you're at WDW months before/later. Otherwise, you really cheapen the experience - for yourself and everyone else who actually has a celebration at that time. Whether true or not, it makes it seem like you are just begging for disney to give you something for free. :duck:

REALLY?
alot of the time the whole reason for the trip is due to a particular celebration?!
so its obvious that they would wear the pin that goes with that clebration, the Cm when you check in ask if your celebrating anything, so what are you supposed to say no...as that would be a lie in its self if you have done everything to plan this anniversary birthday trip as wether its onthe actual day,if you booked the trip for a reason then that reason is still the same no matter the timing.....

I realize that you've said over and over that you wouldn't be disappointed. But would you really not notice at the end of the day in your mind, as you took off your pin, that nobody acknowledged it? :confused3

Honestly, no i wouldnt. I don't really know how I can be more clear about that.:confused3. My thought at the end of the day would be more like "we just had an awesome day at Disney. I love being here."

I guess dh is right, and I'm just weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter