• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebrating birthdays 3 months later?

Actually, one of your early responses in the thread (about 37 or 38 comments ago) was about celebrating an anniversary five months late, and wearing anniversary buttons.

Keeping track of how many comments now?

In the response I quoted to you, I acknowledged that. That was a very specific extenuating circumstance, and not something we have ever done since.

At the time we were married, DH and I had been dating for 5.5 years, with the last 4.5 spent long distance (overseas for a few years, then multiple states away). Partway through our 1st year married, he was deployed to Iraq and was gone for our anniverary.

So, yes, when he got home, we celebrated our anniversary together, as we were not physically able to be together on that day. After spending so much time apart over the course of our relationship, it was important to us. We chose to be at WDW for this because we had spent our honeymoon there. I planned a bunch of surprises for DH on that trip, like the sleigh ride around wilderness lodge..we were in our own little world of happiness on that trip. I think I got a lot of help from the DIS planning that trip too, and don't recall anyone having an issue with us celebrating late then.

This was a one time thing. Not something we had done before, not something we have done since, even with being apart anniversaries as well. I would think most people could understand that. :confused3

When you are at home, and someone wishes you a happy birthday, but it is belated. Do you correct them? Or do you accept the good wishes?

I simply accept the good wishes. I wouldn't think to say, "thank you, but my birthday was yesterday."

Most people say happy belated birthday, to which I would say thanks. Some people say, hey your birthday is on the weekend.......have a great birthday, to which I would say, thanks.

I don't think anyone has ever said simply happy birthday a day late. if they did, it's because they mistakenly believed it was my birthday on the date they were saying it. To which I would say, thanks.....and tell them that I had a great dinner with family last night or whatever I happened to do on my birthday.

Very entertaining thread! I'm sure the OP didn't expect it would still be going like it is :wave2:

Yes, this is extremely entertaining :) Here's the funny thing - I mentioned the birthday buttons to my son yesterday, and, in typical 7 year old boy fashion, he replies "I'm not wearing a dumb button. Not even on my real birthday." Ha!

Yes, this is extremely entertaining :) Here's the funny thing - I mentioned the birthday buttons to my son yesterday, and, in typical 7 year old boy fashion, he replies "I'm not wearing a dumb button. Not even on my real birthday." Ha!

:rotfl2: LOVE it !

I apologize for this becoming what it has. I was just trying to give you some support, as I can completely understand wanting to celebrate late in your situation. I had no idea it would be this much of an issue to do that.

But it doesn't say "It's my birthday". It says "Happy Birthday". You can, or you might not, put your name in the white spot. You could put someone else's name (and confuse everyone). You can do whatever you want. It does not say "it's my birthday".

That's just a silly argument that doesn't address the point of what I was saying. Whether anyone did that or not (and I doubt hardly anyone ever would) they would be consciously misleading people to believe it is THEIR birthday. The problem is Disney cast members and others don't hardly do anything special for people who wear a birthday button because so many are dishonest about it really being their birthday,

Twenty pages later and I still can't figure out why people care what others are doing on their vacation. Especially celebrating a birthday. It literally doesn't affect anything you do.

Twenty pages later and I still can't figure out why people care what others are doing on their vacation. Especially celebrating a birthday. It literally doesn't affect anything you do.

They think they are getting less on their own birthdays because of all the fakers.

Most of the recent discussion has been people having a problem with celebrating the birthday even days away from the actual day.

I don't take issue with the OP of this thread choosing to wear a birthday button because of their *specific* situation. They were supposed to be at WDW on the actual day, and circumstances outside their control took that away from them. I don't have any issue with someone in that circumstance celebrating when they're finally able to take the trip.

Hi Ariel,
A few days is totally fine. People can wear it their entire trip. Our kids wore it some days, not others. But we only got it for the one whose birthday it actually was.

Even in the real world, if a bday falls on a weekend, we'll celebrate it the Monday or Friday at work. We'll have a kid-party when it works for the parents (within a week or two). And we often combine bday parties for our two whose special days are only 2 days apart. Even Thanksgiving we'll do a day after since some ppl have to work on Thursday. We won't say "happy belated Thanksgiving", it's just our Thanksgiving. But we would not have Thanksgiving in April! Or more than a week before or after the real day.

I can just imagine...

Someone celebrates Christmas in May, goes in to their local toy store advertising Santa will be here for Christmas... and demanding "but we celebrate Christmas in May! I expect Santa to be there!". Hehe.

So yes stretching a few days is fine. I'd say up to maybe a couple weeks (not a hard limit - it will be different for everyone).

To all the self proclaimed dorks out there... I totally get that. If Disney gave some folks a button, they would wear it just because it's fun! Even if it came with no perks. Just flashing the Disney bling is cool. Those ppl do have to give at least a thought as to what is on the button they're wearing, and note that Happy Birthday buttons come with the presumption that it is actually (or near to) your birthday and that any CM that sees you and has the moment to spare is paid to wish you a happy birthday then. So blinging up is cool, but wearing bling that portrays an untruth and causes CMs to react to you for something that is not the case, is not as cool. Likewise you wouldn't wear a pro-Democrat button if you're a Republican (or vice versa) so clearly some attention should be paid to what is on the button, and it is not just a case of "I can get this so I should wear it".

Again, it doesn't really matter to me who does this, and honestly do not think the system is abused, for the simple reason that most kids won't want to lie about their birthday, and most parents doing it would feel awkward doing it for the benefits.

And as I've said, *outside of very extenuating circumstances,* I don't wear buttons months away from the date either. It isn't something I'd do just because.

Yeah, IDK what else it could be. Sounds like a serious case of FOMO. ;)

Hey, you can't judge me! That's your truth, not mine!

In all seriousness, it's been pointed out (perhaps by you, I don't remember) that my real issue goes the other way: I don't really get wearing the birthday buttons at all, even on your actual birthday. In fact, I think adults celebrating birthdays is weird, but I know I am in the minority on that. Thus my position is AT MOST you should wear the button on your actual birthday and no other days. For me it's not FOMO but FOBICPTOPWTTASDS (fear of being in close proximity to other people who think they are so damn special).

Well that's a roundabout way of telling people they are liars. Seeking attention means that I *care* if I get attention or not. I don't. Why is that so hard to believe?
It is hard to believe that you don't care about the attention because you're choosing to wear and advertise the fact that it's your birthday when it's not. I doubt that you would sit home in your pajamas in the privacy of your own home six months away from your birthday and wear the button. Also there's the fact that people are always trying to scam and take advantage of the system at Disney so that they get a special perks or advantages that everyone else isn't getting.

I just don't give a darn, because how am I gonna know if it's someone's actual birthday or not unless I interrogate them? LOL When I see someone with a birthday button, I think "Oh, how fun!" not "I'll bet they're lying to get free stuff"

This is so perfect. You let the world burn for nothing!

(Note: World is not actually burning, and it won't if you wear a birthday button when it is not your birthday.)

(Second note: I find it interesting how many people have posted that their kids intuit there is something wrong with wearing a button when it's not your birthday. But your son goes even farther than that. Kudos!)

It is hard to believe that you don't care about the attention because you're choosing to wear and advertise the fact that it's your birthday when it's not. I doubt that you would sit home in your pajamas in the privacy of your own home six months away from your birthday and wear the button. Also there's the fact that people are always trying to scam and take advantage of the system at Disney so that they get a special perks or advantages that everyone else isn't getting.

If you go back and read the posts, I was wearing my button a few *days* before my birthday. I have not ever worn a birthday button 6 months away from my birthday at Disney, and I never would. The anniversary button trip was a combination of circumstances that will never happen again. It was a one time thing, and it was our *only* anniversary celebration that year. It isn't like we were celebrating it twice, and we were entirely honest about what the full situation was. No lying at all, though that's been implied here. From posts here, it's like we should have just forfeited having an anniversary at all that year.

I really find it hard to believe that, on a board of Disney lovers, people can't understand being so wrapped up in your trip and experience that you really don't care about what everyone around you is doing or saying. :confused3

AS for perks - I've already said, I don't believe the fact that it's a birthday means I'm entitled to anything free or special from Disney.

I can tell you Disney doesn't have a problem with it just some of the people replying to your thread.

I was in Hollywood Studios and a CM had the doors open to a huge cabinet of pins and was handing out a bunch of different ones to a family, they were all laughing and having a great time with the buttons. This was inside the park at guest relations. Families come to WDW to celebrate all kinds of things combined into one trip it's definitely not a big deal.

*snork* :lmao:

I hope that your DH's surgery goes well :hug:.

In all seriousness, it's been pointed out (perhaps by you, I don't remember) that my real issue goes the other way: I don't really get wearing the birthday buttons at all, even on your actual birthday. In fact, I think adults celebrating birthdays is weird, but I know I am in the minority on that. Thus my position is AT MOST you should wear the button on your actual birthday and no other days. For me it's not FOMO but FOBICPTOPWTTASDS (fear of being in close proximity to other people who think they are so damn special).

It was me that pointed it out.

It makes me sad, you and I will never be able to hang out at WDW together because I AM so damn special. Actually, I'm pretty awesome. :rolleyes:

I just don't give a darn, because how am I gonna know if it's someone's actual birthday or not unless I interrogate them? LOL When I see someone with a birthday button, I think "Oh, how fun!" not "I'll bet they're lying to get free stuff"

Haha! But now after this long thread, next week when I am at Disney, that is EXACTLY what I'm going to think! Everyone who is wearing a Happy Birthday pin will get the stink eye!! My husband has a habit of wishing EVERY person he sees Happy Birthday with one on...guess I'm going to have to put a stop to that!! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter