Celebrating 20 years at WDW - Bonus features, A few posts from May, Updated 9/11

It would have been nice to see it. If they do it for 18 months or more like the 60th, maybe we could make it there in 2018.....

I think this is pretty much a given. The 20th anniversary celebrations run from 1st April 2012 to 30th September 2013. This time the celebrations start a couple of weeks earlier, but with the half marathon weekend taking place the penultimate weekend in September, I would be surprised if it would end before then in 2018.

Corinna

The rose parade has been mentioned quite a bit by Facebook friends recently and not all of them are from California. I did wonder what this was all about. The floats are truly stunning.

Corinna

I never paid much attention to it until Fran and I got together, now it's our New Year's tradition.

Wow, thanks for posting this! Those floats are stunning!

They are really cool. I was so glad to finally see them in person!

I've always loved the Rose Parade. Now that we aren't going to NYE parties, the parade is my big tradition. Going to see it in person is one of my bucket list items - I didn't know about the option to go see them up close later! You got some great photos!

I don't think I want to go see the parade in person. People are fairly brutal about that. They stake out spots starting as soon as parade organizers allow it. Some people have been doing it for years and always go to the same spot. They park their motorhomes nearby, take turns guarding the spot curbside. There's tons of regulations now, no campfires or barbecues, no alcohol. Tents might even be prohibited now.

There are all kinds of other things to see that week. The day before the parade is Bandfest, all the bands get together and "play off" against each other. My friends who are Drum Corps fanatics always go to that. I would imagine the Equestrian units do some sort of show.

Beautiful! I have always wanted to do that...so very cool that you did!

It was worth it! Next time I would buy the tickets in advance and we will go early to the Senior and handicapped special time. Hopefully there will be less crowds.

Very cool! I was able to see some of the parade but not too much of it because my DH and my dad were watching Football.

That's a bummer. We made sure to record it every year.

We heard a lot about the Ragu Float here on the various news channels for a week or so before the Parade because Ragu got it's start in Rochester. I live not far from Rochester, NY and that's where the news channels are based.

They got some good advance coverage. Our morning news program covers the floats for practically the whole month of December. Usually a five minute piece during each hour of the broadcast. One day they spent both the segments we saw on that float and they gave us some history of the company and how that was displayed in the float itself. That's one of the reasons it was up there on my list.

My DH's Aunt and Uncle were actually there at the parade and for a few days before and after. They put some pics of the floats pre- parade on Facebook. (they actually have been there a whole and just left from San Diego on the Holland America Westerdam on a cruise, I think it left today.

Sweet.

Blown away by the Rose parade! Great they park it up to go and view. I would be all over that like a rash.

I can't believe those floats! The details and the having to be organic matter. Love to trader Joe's. They are all fantastic but the last one was just out of this world those tigers!

One way or another they must be working on those floats all year. Very impressive! Thanks fir sharing .

Wow! Thanks for sharing. These are awesome floats. I have heard of the Rose Parade, but have only seen "old" photos of it. This looks truly wonderful.

For as long as I can remember the floats have been engineering marvels, with all kinds of moving parts and other things to make it "bigger and better". The floral work is just crazy, and most of that gets done between Christmas a New Years.

Wow--very cool. The detail in those floats is incredible.

I had suspected that they were that cool from the commentary in previous years, but until I saw it up close for myself it was hard to believe.

Nice! I find I add more to my bucket list than I cross off! :laughing:

I suspect if I allowed myself to Dream without restrictions that would be the case for me. I try to keep my expectations in check, which means no big dreams. However, after we did this I realized that seeing the floats could definitely be considered something that was on my bucket list, since I'd been asking Fran about it every year for a while now.

::yes:: Even up here we've heard of it.

Cool.

Huh. I've never heard of that.
I always think of a parade as moving... and then gone for good.

With the amount of work that gets put into these floats they deserve another viewing. Besides they go by so fast on the street, you can hardly get a good look.

I haven't quite made up my mind if I prefer a parade live or on TV.

This parade, definitely on TV on the DVR so you can stop, rewind, pause. I would never want to have to do what people do to see it live. Camping out overnight, nope.

As in Writer, Producer, Director who died about 6 months ago?

::yes::

Thanks so much for that shot.
I was going to ask how much was flowers vs other materials (like painted Styrofoam or whatever.)

After I read this I went to the original post and made a modification because it made me realize that it is not obvious one of the main rules of the parade. Every bit of exposed float MUST be covered in organic material. So nothing is painted styrofoam. If you see it exposed, it's got a flower, a seed, a bean, a fruit, vegetable, whatever covering it up. That's the really mind blowing part.

Me too! Reminds me of my Dad.

Hm. I do that too.

Can't say I do. I'm always afraid of swallowing the nails.

:laughing: Some day, I'd like to see that.
(No. Not inviting myself over to your house.)

You have an open invitation to visit with one provision, the house must be at a level of cleanliness that I am not embarrassed for people to see it. We need to get the carpets cleaned in March (if we can get the boxes off the floor).

Right down to the seeds. But this was the first non flower I noticed.

They used a ton of other materials throughout the floats.

That thing is huge!!

Hence why it set the record for longest float. The dogs didn't have all that far that they were able to surf though.

Dory's folks. ::yes::

I can buy that.

Makes sense... but they're all pretty amazing.

Pretty much.

I like the tomatoes around it too.

They wanted to have the most red in their float of any in the parade.

Love the measuring spoons.

those are really cool, and after I zoomed in on them I noticed they even had a "patina" of different colored seeds, not just all one color gray

These things are really incredible!

:sad2: The attention to detail is insane.

I'm going to stop multiquoting.... just too many breathtaking views.

I understand. I'm so glad I got to see them in person.

I can see why you went out of your way to see this one.

It was mostly the Tigers, and the snake that made me want to see it, but then when I got up close there was so much more detail that I didn't notice on the TV.

Okay, now that's just funny! Hang on!!! Don't let go!!!

I think that little mouse was actually swinging in circles during the parade route.

Yeah... sure.... thanks..... now I've got one more thing on my bucket list!!!

Seriously, thanks so much for posting this. I had no idea it was so intricate.

:laughing:

Last edited:

Love your pictures of the floats. Watching the Rose Bowl Parade is a family tradition at our house in Toronto, Ontario. We have watched it every year now for many years. I love the beginning of the parade when the Stealth bomber flies by. I too amaze that each float is entirely made up with flowers, seeds and plants. Glad you got to see the floats up close. Judy

I suspect if I allowed myself to Dream without restrictions that would be the case for me. I try to keep my expectations in check, which means no big dreams. However, after we did this I realized that seeing the floats could definitely be considered something that was on my bucket list, since I'd been asking Fran about it every year for a while now.

I, like most people I think, don't have an actual list. But I keep seeing things and thinking "I want to do that." or "I want to see that."
I've done a lot of bucket list stuff... but there's always more. See below.

With the amount of work that gets put into these floats they deserve another viewing. Besides they go by so fast on the street, you can hardly get a good look.

I totally get that! At first I was "Why does she want to go to a stationary parade?"
Now I know.

This parade, definitely on TV on the DVR so you can stop, rewind, pause. I would never want to have to do what people do to see it live. Camping out overnight, nope.

Camping out overnight?!?!? Wow!

After I read this I went to the original post and made a modification because it made me realize that it is not obvious one of the main rules of the parade. Every bit of exposed float MUST be covered in organic material. So nothing is painted styrofoam. If you see it exposed, it's got a flower, a seed, a bean, a fruit, vegetable, whatever covering it up. That's the really mind blowing part.

Ho. Ly. Crap.

Can't say I do. I'm always afraid of swallowing the nails.

Not me. They have a metallic taste that I find unappealing.

:rolleyes1

You have an open invitation to visit with one provision, the house must be at a level of cleanliness that I am not embarrassed for people to see it. We need to get the carpets cleaned in March (if we can get the boxes off the floor).

One thing that is definitely on my bucket list is the Pacific Coast highway. If it's okay with you, I'd like to add on "Visit to Fran & Alison's" onto that one.

They wanted to have the most red in their float of any in the parade.

Get that.

I think that little mouse was actually swinging in circles during the parade route.

:laughing: I love that!

Earlier this week I crossed something off my bucket list.

Always good when you can say that!

I’m not sure what the rest of the country thinks about it, I’ve heard it’s kind a of non-event elsewhere, but here it’s a pretty big thing.

I know many people who make it appointment viewing.

For a couple days after the parade, you can pay an admission fee, walk around and view the floats.

Julie and Sarah actually got to do this a few years ago! My parents took them out to see the parade as part of a big birthday gift to Sarah while I stayed home with the boys. They enjoyed the parade, although it was hot that day. They really liked the details on the floats as well, but had the same issues with crowds. Also, my mom is one of those people who has to read every single sign at the museum, so she was interviewing every single person that worked on the floats and asking about Latin species names for the flowers, etc. So I think you had more fun.:rotfl2:

The place was practically a zoo, easily as crowded as Disneyland on a weekend.

It only happens once a year...

EVERY INCH OF THE FLOAT MUST BE COVERED IN ORGANIC MATERIALS. Any surface you see is covered with flowers beans, wheat, leaves, vegetables, etc.

That's just incredible.

Just look at the detail on these sculptures.

Amazing work!

I don’t think someone with claustrophobia could drive one of these!

Not in the least! That would hurt after a while.

Fran liked the guy with the nails in his mouth.

Another great detail!

I loved this Farmer’s float. At first I thought it was nothing special, just a motorhome, but then it extended!

Cool! I imagine they have to lower it to get under bridges.

And the use of the vegetables was just so appropriate for this one.

Best use of vegetables ever!

Look at the detail on this one, the scales are red onions! And then all the different beans that they used to make the eye, so cool!

The eye is amazing.

The Dole float was another one that was pretty spectacular. They had this volcano on the back of the float.

Did they give out free Dole Whips?

As we doubled back, this dragon float caught my eye. It had been mobbed when we went by it earlier so we skipped it then, but now I was able to get a shot of it’s butt.

And thank you for that.

IMG_9870.jpg

Love the one hanging off the cups!

I hope we can do it again sometime, but now I can finally say that I have viewed the floats from the Rose Parade!

I'm glad you got the chance to see it!

Man... that's huge!
So... I presume you sold it to Disney and they're using it as an anchor for their biggest ship now?

The contractor and his henchman disassembled it and tossed it in the dumpster at one of our buildings.

Not a car person I take it.
How many people did they have as members in their gym??? Holy crap!

That was one woman's gym. She lived in our house all by herself. That's part of the reason she sold it. She had a sporty little Mercedes convertible that was always parked in the driveway.

Nice car! What is it?
(Although I'm sure you've said before. Sorry. Don't remember.)

It's a '59 Ford Ranchero.

OMG! Why do you want to give fleas to Pepper and Alto?!?!? What kind of a monster are you????

Ha! That's our vernacular for applying Flea medicine. "It's such-and-such day, time to Flea the cats!" I suppose the word "de-flea" would be more accurate but it doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way.

That's "African American".

You're welcome.

I could make a comment here, but anything I can think of just wouldn't sound right. And even worse out of context.

I don't know anyone else that eats anything like that.

Seriously? You don't know people who eat cereal for breakfast?

It's the V8 that throws me.
That's never struck me as a breakfast kind of drink.

don't know why not. but there it is.

For as long as I can remember my Dad drank a glass of V8 with his breakfast. Even before it came in plastic bottles, he used to buy those 32 oz cans and decant them into a pitcher. I think I finally started drinking it when I realized I had a weight problem. It was something good to have in the morning that was filling and gave me vegetable servings.

True... but that wasn't a royalty thing, was it?
Or was it?

I have no idea. It could have been that people didn't know the IP.

Nope! I think I've been on it... 4 times since the refurb?

You could have potentially seen all the different scenes, but not likely. Odds are not that good. I think I had to ride it 12 times before I saw all the scenes.

Apparently sometimes you get the cowboy scene if you're in the second car.

We are always in the second car (Handicapped loading) and we have never got a cowboy scene.

But that 'body' is pretty darned stocky, wouldn't you say?

I never really paid that close of attention. I always thought she looked funny, but I thought that was part of being freaked out.

As a kid we would usually watch the Rose Parade on TV. I can't say I've watched it in while...but if I think of Pasadena that's what I think of. (Well, that and the "Little Old Lady From..." thanks to the Beach Boys.) I've always wanted to see the parade, but I doubt it'll ever happen. (Not really high on my bucket list.)

Seeing the parade has never been high on my list. Too much of a PITA, but I'd do the float viewing again.

That is so cool that you got to see the Tournament of Roses Parade floats. The parade itself is on my bucket list. I normally watch it every year but unfortunately missed it this year. The Outback Bowl & the NHL Winter Classic were on at the same time so we were on our way to one of our favorite sports bars that we knew would show both games on the TVs.

I'm glad that I don't have a sports fix to feed to dilute my attention. It also helps that the parade starts at 8AM our time. I suppose if it's 11AM New Years morning, you might be already on to other things like Brunch or football.

The floats are just so amazing. Just think they are already starting on next year's!

I know! No sooner than the floats are dismantled do they start on concepts and designs for next year.

Stan Against Evil? Never heard of it.
I don't think we have that channel.

It's a cheesy Horror /Comedy. The actor was on my morning news show the day of the season finale. I was able to record the whole show and binge watch it.

Good point. I'd probably skip complaining to the Empire, though. Just saying.

Not sure you'd get much of a reaction besides strangulation through psychic waves.

:lmao: Just got that picture in my mind! You do know I Photoshop, right????

I wish I knew how to put images from one into another. I just learned how to get text into pictures.

Oh, it's so they have good TRs later! I'm helping them!

(ok, IRL I don't do that. I usually avoid eye contact... and yet "People! You can do this too! Fastpass is not complicated! Single rider lines are not complicated!"

Ha! It does blow my mind that anyone is willing to wait that long. I'd rather not ride than wait over two hours to do so.

Ah. I'll pass then. pkondz is not a coffee drinker. Hot or cold.

I knew that about you. I need my coffee fix.

I'd order one... just to say I did.
But I much preferred the two things I've had there. The No Way José was especially good.

I'm not a big enough fan of peanut butter to order that one. Fran wanted it, but we compromised with the Milky Way.

::yes:: I remember it quite well.
I was actually surprised that my throat didn't bother me afterwards. It is a bit now, though... 2 days later. Go figure.

Surprisingly I did not have any after affects. At least I'm done with that one until 2021!

Well, there ya go.
Is your Jacuzzi water jet or air jet?

Air, I guess? :confused3

I was right with you! All the way up to "Well, I don't know a ton about RCI".
After that you lost me.

:laughing: So I guess I needn't have tried to explain it! :lmao:

Oh, well, that's plenty of time to be hungry again.

The contractor and his henchman disassembled it and tossed it in the dumpster at one of our buildings.

Whoa.

That's one big dumpster.

That was one woman's gym. She lived in our house all by herself. That's part of the reason she sold it. She had a sporty little Mercedes convertible that was always parked in the driveway.

She was either really ripped.... or she had lots of clothes to hang on those machines.

It's a '59 Ford Ranchero.

Nice! How many cars do you have? 2 at least, yes? Or more?

Ha! That's our vernacular for applying Flea medicine. "It's such-and-such day, time to Flea the cats!" I suppose the word "de-flea" would be more accurate but it doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way.

It does sound better the other way.

I could make a comment here, but anything I can think of just wouldn't sound right. And even worse out of context.

The time has passed.

Seriously? You don't know people who eat cereal for breakfast?

:laughing: Like I said. It's the cereal with the V8 that throws me.

For as long as I can remember my Dad drank a glass of V8 with his breakfast. Even before it came in plastic bottles, he used to buy those 32 oz cans and decant them into a pitcher. I think I finally started drinking it when I realized I had a weight problem. It was something good to have in the morning that was filling and gave me vegetable servings.

Ah! Now that makes a lot of sense.
You are now allowed to recommence drinking V8 for breakfast.

You could have potentially seen all the different scenes, but not likely. Odds are not that good. I think I had to ride it 12 times before I saw all the scenes.

I just finished reading this morning that you can see everything in as little as three rides. Not likely, I suppose. But mathematically possible.

We are always in the second car (Handicapped loading) and we have never got a cowboy scene.

I know I've read about it in at least one other TR.

I never really paid that close of attention. I always thought she looked funny, but I thought that was part of being freaked out.

Never really noticed either... until I looked at your photo.

Not sure you'd get much of a reaction besides strangulation through psychic waves.

Nah. I'll pass. That's always so unpleasant.

Ha! It does blow my mind that anyone is willing to wait that long. I'd rather not ride than wait over two hours to do so.

Nope!!!

I'm not a big enough fan of peanut butter to order that one. Fran wanted it, but we compromised with the Milky Way.

I may do that one on my next visit (if there is one... if I go there... if...)

Surprisingly I did not have any after affects.

Good!

Air, I guess? :confused3

:laughing: So I guess I needn't have tried to explain it! :lmao:

:laughing:

The contractor and his guys will have to figure out how to get the cabinet to the new house. I suppose a U-haul truck will be involved
I'm impressed by a U-Haul full of wine.

And here is where I sacrifice for you my readers, I cringed a little bit, and said, “Go ahead and tell me.”

Well I hate to say it, I have a far more zealous imagination than what actually transpired in the real world. There was no Remy, there was no Hal (Google Wall-E, I’ll wait). If you remember in the previous update I mentioned that most of the trash residue that I saw from the previous tenant was Pizza boxes, KFC buckets, and empty beer 12 pack boxes, he did not maintain the most healthy of diets. What they found was a glob of fat about the size of geoduck clam in the pipes!
Well... that's anti-climactic.

But now we know!

We know the expiration date of DCA’s, but I truly believe that DHS’s ToT is on the brink of extinction as well, due to the fact that Disney must pay a royalty for the Twilight Zone franchise.
I hope not. I mean I know there are signs of possibility, but I really hope not. I do feel like the DHS version stands alone much better than the DCA version did anyway.

I tried to get a drink at the bar, but evidently the bartender wasn’t serving my kind. He paid a cruel joke on me and gave me a drink that stuck to the bar.
Don't they realize they'd just be minting their own money if they legit did serve drinks there?

On the way out of the park I stopped for a beverage.
AKA R2D2... Love it!

We had no problem finding a table, and we learned that it was the kind of bar where you fetch your own drinks. No biggie, we could handle that. I had my regular Belvedere Gibson Up
::yes:: I don't exactly have a wealth of experience at all of the lounges around WDW, but I spent a few hours at Martha's Vineyard one evening and I really like the vibe there. A great place to hang out and enjoy some time with friends.

I’m not sure what the rest of the country thinks about it, I’ve heard it’s kind a of non-event elsewhere, but here it’s a pretty big thing.
Well, I'm in Big Ten country so it's kind of a big deal here. I mean the Rose Bowl is the bigger deal, but they do go hand in hand. Great detailed pictures on the floats!

It's a miracle I find time to get on here at all!

RIGHT?!

We have a jerk that we dealing with right now.

UGH! I hope you can figure that out sooner than later.

All ours are on a month to month tenancy, so if they screw up, they're getting notice.

So are ours, but we're too lazy to deal with a turnover if we kick them out. I guess just postponing the inevitable .

Yeah, well I still don't have hot water in the kitchen. :sad2:

OH man! YUCK! Hute PITA!

Six weeks from now I get to have Beach at Palo! :banana:

WOOT!!!!!!

We'll get a cool version of it!

Ohboyohboyohboy!!!!

I'm really curious what they will do. Evidently the ride itself will be the same, just new theme.

The Classic was... JUST. FINE!

Well if you saw Magdalene's post at the top of the previous page, she has good information and thinks it's at least safe until 2018. But no one knows. They took out Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to replace it with Winnie the Pooh.

Of which I still gnash my teeth and wail.

I think this is pretty much a given. The 20th anniversary celebrations run from 1st April 2012 to 30th September 2013. This time the celebrations start a couple of weeks earlier, but with the half marathon weekend taking place the penultimate weekend in September, I would be surprised if it would end before then in 2018.

Corinna

That's good to know. We need to get back to clearing out the apartment, but Fran is just as susceptible to the pull of Disney. We knocked ourselves out yesterday and yet we are going back tomorrow and Monday. :laughing:

Blown away by the Rose parade! Great they park it up to go and view. I would be all over that like a rash.

It is really great that you can see it after the fact. Plus now they make money on it. Then again it costs moneyfor the security and fences and stuff.

I can't believe those floats! The details and the having to be organic matter. Love to trader Joe's. They are all fantastic but the last one was just out of this world those tigers!

I loved the Tigers, that was the float I really wanted to see and I'm so glad that I spied it just on the way out.

One way or another they must be working on those floats all year. Very impressive! Thanks fir sharing .

Totally! As soon as they dismantle last year's float they are working on the designs for the next year. Building starts somewhere around the fall. For floats like the one with surfing dogs, they start auditioning the in the spring and then work them up to performance level by the Winter.

Love your pictures of the floats. Watching the Rose Bowl Parade is a family tradition at our house in Toronto, Ontario. We have watched it every year now for many years. I love the beginning of the parade when the Stealth bomber flies by. I too amaze that each float is entirely made up with flowers, seeds and plants. Glad you got to see the floats up close. Judy

That's nice to know you watch it as a tradition, we do too, but until this year, it's been like something hundreds of miles away, not less than an hour.

I, like most people I think, don't have an actual list. But I keep seeing things and thinking "I want to do that." or "I want to see that."
I've done a lot of bucket list stuff... but there's always more. See below.

There was a thread I was on a couple years ago where folks were posting their bucket lists. People had stuff like Macchu Picchu, and all these exotic locations around the world. I was just like :confused3 I really couldn't think of anything I "had" to do. There's some things I'd probably like to do, but nothing really struck me as "bucket list". This has actually been something I've talked about every year, so I realized when I finally got there, this was a viable bucket list item. As I said either here or elsewhere, I have stuff I'd like to do, but I try to keep my expectations in check. Currently my lifestyle is high maintenance so I can't epect to do a lot of getting up and go. Perhaps that could change in the future.

I totally get that! At first I was "Why does she want to go to a stationary parade?"
Now I know.

Yeah, not really a parade, but a good reason to see the stationary stuff.

Camping out overnight?!?!? Wow!

Southern Californians are known to be crazy. Before Black Friday people will camp out for days to get specials on TVs and stuff. They had to put a limit a few years ago on how early you were allowed to put out your stuff on the parade route. Some people just put their chairs out there and hope they don't get moved. Others literally camp overnight to secure their spaces.

Ho. Ly. Crap.

Not me. They have a metallic taste that I find unappealing.

See I'm just afraid that if they're in my mouth, I'll forget and accidentally swallow them. :eek:

One thing that is definitely on my bucket list is the Pacific Coast highway.

Well it runs only one mile from my house.

However, I think you are probably meaning the part that goes from Santa Barbara to San Francisco.

If it's okay with you, I'd like to add on "Visit tThere'o Fran & Alison's" onto that one.

I'd love to have you, if our house wasn't totally embarrassing like it is now!

Always good when you can say that!

I know many people who make it appointment viewing.

Really? That is interesting to note!

Julie and Sarah actually got to do this a few years ago! My parents took them out to see the parade as part of a big birthday gift to Sarah while I stayed home with the boys. They enjoyed the parade, although it was hot that day.
i

I seem to remember you mentioning this in the Scotty version of this birthday gift.

They really liked the details on the floats as well, but had the same issues with crowds. Also, my mom is one of those people who has to read every single sign at the museum, so she was interviewing every single person that worked on the floats and asking about Latin species names for the flowers, etc. So I think you had more fun.:rotfl2:

I'm one to read all the signs at the museum, but I'm not talking to folks I don't know, so if I can't read it, I'm moving on!

It only happens once a year...

True.

That's just incredible.

Amazing work!

It is, isn't it?

Not in the least! That would hurt after a while.

Yeah, I'm not sure I would want that job!

Cool! I imagine they have to lower it to get under bridges.

I believe there are several bridges along the route and I would guess that several of the floats push the maximum clearance every year.

Best use of vegetables ever!

Yeah as long as you don't have to eat them, right?

The eye is amazing.

Did they give out free Dole Whips?

Unfortunately no.

And thank you for that.

You're welcome! :)

Love the one hanging off the cups!

I thought it was rather whimsical!

I'm glad you got the chance to see it!

Me too! :teeth:

Yeah, not really a parade, but a good reason to see the stationary stuff.

Southern Californians are known to be crazy.

Now you tell me! Those flights are already booked!

Before Black Friday people will camp out for days to get specials on TVs and stuff.

:sad2: No thanks. I'll sleep in, go when it's not busy and pay the lousy extra $50.

They had to put a limit a few years ago on how early you were allowed to put out your stuff on the parade route. Some people just put their chairs out there and hope they don't get moved. Others literally camp overnight to secure their spaces.

Wow.

See I'm just afraid that if they're in my mouth, I'll forget and accidentally swallow them. :eek:

Well, if you have an iron deficiency...

Well it runs only one mile from my house.

Cool!!!

However, I think you are probably meaning the part that goes from Santa Barbara to San Francisco.

Not quite.
More like Seattle to San Diego.

I'd love to have you, if our house wasn't totally embarrassing like it is now!

I'll never force my company on you guys. But we could meet at a nice restaurant or something! :)

Whoa.

That's one big dumpster.

She was either really ripped.... or she had lots of clothes to hang on those machines.

She was a size 1.

Nice! How many cars do you have? 2 at least, yes? Or more?

We have one 21st century car. We have six 20th century cars. :rolleyes1

:laughing: Like I said. It's the cereal with the V8 that throws me.

Doh! So this whole time we've been having one of those Oxford comma discussions!!!!! :headache:

Ah! Now that makes a lot of sense.
You are now allowed to recommence drinking V8 for breakfast.

Thanks! I coulda had a V8! <facepalm>

I just finished reading this morning that you can see everything in as little as three rides. Not likely, I suppose. But mathematically possible.

Well now there are four middle scenes (courtesy of the Force Awakens) and four characters who deliver your "instructions", so you'd have to ride four times now.

I may do that one on my next visit (if there is one... if I go there... if...)

You will again someday. Whether you choose to eat at B&C is up to you.

I'm impressed by a U-Haul full of wine.

Well I doubt I would transport the wine in the Uhaul. I might take that in smaller increments in the SUV. Less likely to get all shaken up.

Well... that's anti-climactic.

But now we know!

I know and here I thought it was going to be really disgusting. That's only mildly disgusting.

I hope not. I mean I know there are signs of possibility, but I really hope not.

I hope not as well.

I do feel like the DHS version stands alone much better than the DCA version did anyway.

Yes and of all the rides that were on both sides of the country, that was the only one that was superior at WDW.

Don't they realize they'd just be minting their own money if they legit did serve drinks there?

I know! I would totally have a drink there. Especially if they served something in a Death Star shaped mug!

AKA R2D2... Love it!

I didn't even notice that until I took the picture!

I don't exactly have a wealth of experience at all of the lounges around WDW, but I spent a few hours at Martha's Vineyard one evening and I really like the vibe there. A great place to hang out and enjoy some time with friends.

I thought it was a very nice, chill place to hang out. You could have a nice conversation, perfect place to hang with friends.

UGH! I hope you can figure that out sooner than later.

He paid his rent, and I put it in the bank yesterday! :thumbsup2

So are ours, but we're too lazy to deal with a turnover if we kick them out. I guess just postponing the inevitable .

I have learned a lot in the past few years. I will NOT settle on a tenant just to have money coming in.

OH man! YUCK! Hute PITA!

We put in a new water heater Thursday. We were gone all day Friday, and when I woke up yesterday morning. The whole kitchen/laundry/Olga's room smelled of gas again, so the water heater didn't fix it.

WOOT!!!!!!

And now it's five weeks until Brunch at Palo!

The Classic was... JUST. FINE!

Yes it was.

Of which I still gnash my teeth and wail.

I know what you mean. At least we can still ride it at land.

Wow, those floats are amazing!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures :)

They are! You're welcome!

She was a size 1.

All of it muscle I presume.

We have one 21st century car. We have six 20th century cars. :rolleyes1

Okay... now I need to come to your place! :laughing:

Doh! So this whole time we've been having one of those Oxford comma discussions!!!!! :headache:

Well, actually, I believe, possibly, that we may have.

Thanks! I coulda had a V8! <facepalm>

:rotfl:

Well now there are four middle scenes (courtesy of the Force Awakens) and four characters who deliver your "instructions", so you'd have to ride four times now.

Ah! My info must be dated. (Stupid old library book.)

You will again someday. Whether you choose to eat at B&C is up to you.

The whole kitchen/laundry/Olga's room smelled of gas again, so the water heater didn't fix it.

That's not good. Very not good.
We had a home blow up just a couple streets over a few years back.
One second, home. The next, empty lot.

Now you tell me! Those flights are already booked!

Nah, you'll fit right in!

:sad2: No thanks. I'll sleep in, go when it's not busy and pay the lousy extra $50.

My time is worth more than a TV.

Not quite.
More like Seattle to San Diego.

Well that would certainly be a drive. I wonder how long it would take? LA to the Bay Area takes 2 or 3 days depending on how often you stop.

I'll never force my company on you guys. But we could meet at a nice restaurant or something! :)

We could do that. :)

Okay... now I need to come to your place! :laughing:

Only two of the old cars are parked at our house. The others are stashed in garages at our various properties. But unless we clean up enough to get the carpets a good shampooing you would to want to come in the house!

Ah! My info must be dated. (Stupid old library book.)

I get lots of good information from old books.

That's not good. Very not good.
We had a home blow up just a couple streets over a few years back.
One second, home. The next, empty lot.

:scared1: that’s why I'm glad I know where the shut off valve is located.

Nah, you'll fit right in!

:rotfl:

My time is worth more than a TV.

Exactly!

Well that would certainly be a drive. I wonder how long it would take? LA to the Bay Area takes 2 or 3 days depending on how often you stop.

No idea. Haven't looked yet. I was thinking... a couple of weeks.

Only two of the old cars are parked at our house. The others are stashed in garages at our various properties. But unless we clean up enough to get the carpets a good shampooing you would to want to come in the house!

Not demanding anything! Honest!

I get lots of good information from old books.

But not so much when it comes to Star Tours.

:scared1: that’s why I'm glad I know where the shut off valve is located.

Except, here you find the leak fast... Die from kaboom or die from freezing.

Day 6

When we went to bed the night before, Fran said that she wanted to hit rope drop at AK so that we could be on one of the first safaris of the morning. We decided to leave the room at 7:30AM. This would require us to wake up around 6:15, so I made a note of it.

I woke around 5:15 and decided to take a bath so that I would be cooled down in time to get dressed and go to the bus stop. By this time Fran was saying to get her up at 10 to 7AM. At the appropriate time, I made her toast two ways and told her that she wanted me to get her up now.

However, by this point she's realizing that we have a FP+ for the safari that starts at 9:55, so we really don't need to be rushing over there, and asks if we can just chill out and go a little later. I had made coffee for me, but not any sort of food as I usually need a little time from waking up to when I actually have breakfast. I mentioned that it was too bad she waited until I had already given her the toast to mention this because today could have been the day I made the Muffins and bacon for breakfast. She was more than happy to have the Muffins in addition to the toast, so I started them cooking as well as the bacon. It appears that I did not take any pictures of this breakfast. It was very good!

We enjoyed our breakfast and then began getting ready to visit AK. I was starting to worry as 9:00AM approached and we still we were not leaving, however we got it together and got out the door. When we got to the bus stop it was 9:05 and the sign said the bus would be there at 9:06. Pretty soon that changed to 9:07 and the time at the VGF started to ring in my head that we would be pushed all the way to 9:25, but actually the bus showed up right away! We had one of those bus drivers who was jaded by past idiot scooter drivers. I decided the moment he started to tell me how to drive I just got off the thing and told him he could do it since he knew better than me. Instead of letting us ride to the AK on the scooters we both took up extra seats on the bus because our driver knew better than us. God forbid we get the chance to park our own scooters and then stay on them to free up seats for others. But I can see his point. Better to just assume everyone is a total idiot than give anyone the benefit of the doubt. I might do that given the faith in humanity I have seen lately. <Steps down off soapbox>

Once we got to AK I decided to drive the scooter off the bus though our driver offered to move them for us. I wasn't sure if he would do more harm than good, thus the decision. Of course he felt the need to direct my every move as I rolled off the bus. It was really annoying.

Soon we were inside the park and on our way to the safari. We stopped for a couple photopass photos.

Our FP+ for the safari had just opened so we went directly there.

Not the best picture, but these people are on the Wild Africa Trek, maybe someday.

I was not having any luck with the crocodiles today!

But the Ankole Cattle posed nicely.

The Cheetah were the most active I've ever seen!

Animatronic lion wasn't working again today.

We saw quite a few more animals before the safari ended. It was hot so most were pretty lazy.

We had a while until my EE FP+ so we took a trip through the Pangani forest. It had been a while since we did that. We had fun checking out the aviary. These little yellow birds were busily engaged in making nests.

The gorillas were very active.

Well except this guy.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

Then we headed over to Expedition Everest where I rode twice. The first time the camera totally took me by surprise.

The second time I was doing a poor impression of Munch’s “The Scream”

I had checked out some of the menus and new since the last time we ate at AK was the Harambe market. They had a couple things that I thought might work for us.

I wanted the Chicken Tikka Masala. It was excellent! It had just a hint of spicy, with tender melt in your mouth chicken.

Fran decided on the sausage fried in a curried corn batter, she said it was OK, but a little dry.

Then we went over to Zuri’s sweet shop. They definitely had some unique treats there.

We got a Mint Mickey head brownie. It was very good!

After this I hit a wall. I got really tired and we hadn't even had anything alcoholic to drink! It wasn't even that hot a day.

We stopped at the two stores around Discovery Island. I was rather disappointed that these stores now carry hardly any unique merchandise related to AK. In the past these were among my favorites shops on property. They even added a giant room that they could fill with generic Disney merchandise so that if you weren't going to make it to World of Disney, you could get what you needed here.

There was a bus in our loading spot when we got to the bus stop, but we were informed that this was not our bus and one should be coming along shortly. I didn't time it, but I believe it was around 1:37. We talked about our afternoon/evening and figured that it would be 2:30 before we were back to the room. With a 7:30 dinner reservation and wanting to look around Disney Springs we thought it would be a good idea to head for the bus stop around quarter to five. This meant we should have about two hours for a nap.

We actually got back to the resort at 2PM, well ahead of our plans. I laid down immediately and was out until just before 4 o’clock. Fran listed stuff on eBay, and spent the whole time I was asleep on her computer. So just as we were supposed to be thinking about getting up she was laying down for her nap. You can see where I am going with this...

So it wasn't until about 5:30 that we actually got going. We didn't wait too long for a bus to the Springs, and the sun was setting. As soon as we got there I started having a major panic attack, not sure why. They had moved the bus stop, there was all sorts of new construction that had been completed, and I totally lost my bearings. I had no idea where we were and I felt like I was in some kind of futuristic movie thriller. I think it had something to do with the towering and glowing new Coke building. It was kind of tripping me out.

When I saw the Harley Store I thought they had relocated it, but Fran pointed out that it was still in the same place, we were just entering from a different direction than I’m used to. When she was able to point out where all the landmarks I could recognize were located (like the waterfront and the balloon), I started to feel a little better. It was not a pleasant experience.

We passed tons of expensive designer shops selling nothing that interested me. I don't care about sunglasses, luggage, over priced clothing for skinny chicks, and all that garb. We took a spin through World of Disney but I either already had one or I wasn't interested, so that was a slight waste of time.

Our dinner reservation was at the Boathouse. Last trip we skipped out on it in lieu of drinking at Trader Sam's, so I was determined to make this reservation. We were seated immediately.

We were served that addicting bread immediately.

I was thrilled to find out that they had my favorite oysters, Malpeques. I believe I had not had them since we were in Canada on the first night of our trip for the Alaskan cruise.

I also got my favorite Martini, a Belvedere Gibson Up.

Fran got a bowl of the lobster Bisque.

Then we both split the lobster paparadelle pasta. It was very good and had a lot of lobster meat in it.

It came with garlic toast which was delicious

Both of us ordered dessert.

I got the Whisky soaked corn cake with whipped cream and berries. It was a huge portion and last time I ordered it Fran helped me out with it.

Instead she got the chocolate bundt cake which she said was great, but I didn't want to spoil the delicate flavor of the whisky and corn cake with the overwhelming chocolate flavor.

After dinner Fran led us back to the bus and we had an uneventful trip home. I crawled into bed and fell asleep immediately. I don't even think it was 10:00 yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter