• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CC 5k ??

tedescokid

Mouseketeer
Hi again,

If my sisters and I want to do the CC 5K (I realize it is a low key run not a race) do we go back to the ship to collect the rest of our families or do the hubbies need to wrangle the kids off the ship and meet us there?

Tonya

The last time that I ran the 5K we started at the end of the gangplank and ended up back at the same spot. I met the rest of my family on the beach of CC since we got a late start with the run that day, but if they haven't gotten off the ship yet, it's no big deal to get back on, change clothes, and disembark with them.

Have fun!

Hello, I've been reading about the CC 5K and have a question. I will be on the Dream for her first double dip in May and am thinking about participating in this event. I am in a manual wheelchair so I am wondering if the race course is accessible? I'm not worried about hills, just if there is a lot of rough terrain or off-the-beaten path running? I appreciate your input.

The entire way is accessible. It takes place on 1) the tram road to the family beaches, (and through the shopping area) then 2) on the tram road/airstrip on the way to serenity bay, 3) with a side jaunt on the bike paths, which is also paved. There are no hills.

The entire way is accessible. It takes place on 1) the tram road to the family beaches, (and through the shopping area) then 2) on the tram road/airstrip on the way to serenity bay, 3) with a side jaunt on the bike paths, which is also paved. There are no hills.

Thanks for this answer...and to the poster for asking the question. I've been wondering how to manage doing the 5K (assuming it runs on all cruises...another questions?), and managing our 2 boys, one of whom will be in his wheelchair. If my DH doen't feel ready to take them both off to the beach, maybe I run with my son in w/c through the 5K and DS and other son can get us settled!

Hello! I assumed you'd get a reply from someone who had run with their kids, so I didn't step in. I ran the CC 5K last March, and there were certainly some younger cruisers running it. I'm not sure of ages, but there was at least 1 girl who seemd in the 10-12 year old range. I remember her because she was having a lot of fun, and we get passing each other back and forth!

She was definitely running with a parent, and I think that would be a necessity. The route in not as obvious as it seems (yes, I added mileage because I had to back track!) and it's partly on the runway, partlt on the bike routes, and all rather quiet other than the runners.

I was checking out some more current Navigators and noted that the run was only listed along the adult only activities, so you might want to check before you promise this run to your child!

It was nice to get out and run outside (I live in the "frozen North"), quite warm, really. I had some "me" time and felt I then deserved to indulge myself a bit later on.

Have fun!

The CC 5k now starts near the bicycle rental area, about 30 minutes after the first guests are let off the boat (all ashore). You have to take the tram or walk/jog to the beginning spot. If your family would like to linger on the ship for about an hour plus after the start of all ashore time, then you could go back and pick them up. I have heard of people running the 5k, going back to the boat to shower, picking up their family and then going ashore with them together. This would be at least 2 hours past the all ashore time. On the Dream or Fantasy, many of the good beach spots would be taken by then.
I would suggest meeting your family on the beach, especially if you are going swimming before lunch (being sweaty will not bother you as much). It will likely be hot and humid on the run, and some runners can not stand to stay in their sweaty running clothes. I usually change into my swimsuit and then shower off at the outdoor showers. I am either going to be in the water or sweaty in the sun for the rest of the day anyway, and will take a shower in the afternoon when I go back on board.

The course is very flat and paved the whole way. You will see fast runners, joggers and even walkers on the 5k. Kids are fine to run. I have seen many and there is no age limit as far as I know. The course is well marked with signs at the turns you need to make.

Are children allowed to run in the 5k on Castaway Cay? If so, is there a minimum age?

Thanks!

We did this in August.

Our DS was 16, so technically not an "adult", but I asked the CM in charge if it was OK.

She said that was fine, they just didn't want "little kids and babies".

DS runs cross country for the high school and had been training all summer, so he was fine. In fact, he finished second overall!

My son will two weeks away from turning 9, so I guess I will tell him that there's a good chance he won't be able to run in the 5k. Then maybe he'll be happily surprised if we are told differently while we're sailing.

Hmm, my daughter will be 8yo on our next cruise. We're doing the Princess 5K in WDW for her birthday and I think she'd like to do this too. I won't mention it till we are on board and I ask just to be sure.

My son did it at 8, and will do it again in April (now 9). There was no issue. I think as long as there is a parent with the child, there will be no issues. It is a casual run. We just did the Family fun run (5k) on Friday in WDW, and there were THOUSANDS of kids.

HAVE FUN! You will be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter