• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castmembers Calling Everyone "Friend"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK2014

DIS Veteran
Feel free to move this if this is not the appropriate forum for this.

We just returned from a Labor Day weekend stay at Animals Kingdom Villas. We went to the parks once, for Boo Bash on Sept. 5th.

We were walking out of AKL when a castmember said to us "Have a good day friends" or something like that. It struck me as odd. I don't know why. But I jokingly commented about it to DW as we got closer to our car.

But then we kept hearing from castmembers all over. At restaurants, at MK, etc. We don't recall hearing it on previous trips as recently as August, so we are curious if this is something new that castmembers are being trained to do, or could it really just be coincidence?

Feel free to move this if this is not the appropriate forum for this.

We just returned from a Labor Day weekend stay at Animals Kingdom Villas. We went to the parks once, for Boo Bash on Sept. 5th.

We were walking out of AKL when a castmember said to us "Have a good day friends" or something like that. It struck me as odd. I don't know why. But I jokingly commented about it to DW as we got closer to our car.

But then we kept hearing from castmembers all over. At restaurants, at MK, etc. We don't recall hearing it on previous trips as recently as August, so we are curious if this is something new that castmembers are being trained to do, or could it really just be coincidence?

OMG I noticed that in Mouse Gears in July, the woman at the door kept calling me "friend". Since I had been in and out of the store 3x she did it all 3x and it sounded creepy, like a cult or something. I didn't think that much of it because I just thought it was her thing. I really hope this isn't a thing they make all CMs do. "Bye" or "Hello" is good enough. We don't need the weird "friend" attached to it. Just my opinion.

This isn't new at all. They've been using this term in all the stateside Disney parks for a LONG time.

I think once Facebook took off and the concept of "friend" became much more fluid and loose, this greeeting became popular at a lot of businesses. I've heard it at restaurants as well.

I was a preschool teacher for 10 years and we called the kids “friends” instead of kids or guys or whatever else…..So we’d say things like “ok friends, it’s time to clean up” etc….I thought it was a little weird at first but it became second nature very quickly. We always told the kids that we liked to say “friends” because we are all friends at preschool.

It is not new, at least not for the past few years, and is even sometimes used by those leading Traditions towards those who are attending Traditions, so maybe that is where some pick it up. However, some cast say it and some don't. I usually heard it more when cast were asking kids not to do something but trying to be nice about it, such as "Hi Friends, please don't jump on the concrete stairs" when some kids were jumping from row to row in an empty ROL pavilion. I will say that I am in a lot of FB groups with elementary teachers, and a lot of them seem to use it to when addressing a group of people, so maybe it is more common among people who are used to working with kids.

It's a word used by all of the dance/gymnastics/etc teachers at my local YMCA. It's friendly, neutral, and sweet. I've heard more people using it as time goes on.

I don't remember hearing it at Disney, but it's not a surprise.

Guys is meant to be gender neutral in the context it is used as "Bye, guys."

People from a few different areas really really hate that one. Same as "dude" for many, though I don't mind either at all.

Of all greetings, friends has got to be the least offensive of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter