• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cast Member Gifts

As many others have said, a smile, a genuine thank you and general kindness will be more appreciated than any trinket or gift. At the beginning of my CP many, many moons ago I had more than one shift where I was only assigned to stand at the entrance of my merchandise location solely to greet people. I am a bit of an introvert (even more so then than now) and it was so disheartening to keep greeting guests with a friendly hello or welcome and have them look right past me as if I did not exist. The interactions I remember were the ones where guests returned my welcome with a smile or a nod or a hello back. When I go to WDW now I always try to return the kindness offered me by the cast members and engage cheerfully with their greetings and friendly questions. It is also always nice to hear that you made a difference in someone's trip or day so if a cast member does that for you - tell them!

Again, a million years ago on my CP I helped a mom and her child locate some characters they were looking for to get autographs. It was their last day at the parks, the dad and the older siblings had gone off to ride some rides but the youngest child had woken up that morning suddenly sad that he didn't get any autographs. They stopped at my merchandise cart to buy an autograph book and told me what they were up to. They had limited time so I looked up some character times for them (this was well before MDE) and gave them some tips on how they might want to navigate around to meet as many of them as possible. About 2 or 3 hours later they came back to the cart because he wanted to show me how many autographs he had collected and thank me. And then he shyly asked if I would sign his autograph book too so he could remember the Disney worker who helped him that day. It was one of the most magical moments of my entire CP and I still remember how happy it made me all these years later (even if I am not entirely sure any more if it was a little boy or a a little girl - pretty sure it was a little boy!) So if someone helps you, make sure they know. Even when you don't have to deal with a lot of outright rude guests as a CM, the bulk of your day is often dealing with guests who don't even really notice you are there so the moments when someone really sees you and acknowledges your work really stick with you.

What is the rule these days on even accepting gifts? When I was there we had to turn gifts/tips down 3 times and if offered again we could take it but had to report it to our managers.

This is an extremely sweet thought. I am positive it would get thrown away in almost every circumstance, though. Unfortunately the CMs have no idea what the state of the givers kitchen cleanliness or the baker's health might be, and would never risk eating it. And allergies. The gesture would surely be appreciated :) but a glowing review, as mentioned above, somewhere their supervisor will see it would be much more helpful to them in a practical sense, I'm sure!

I’m not a Disney castmember but I work resort maintenance trust me we love be it when the guest drops off a plate of home made goodies to us. For us it’s normaly left with the front desk and a radio call goes out to who ever they dropped them off for that a guest left them a tray of goodies. So it works 2 fold for us we get a yummy treat that is normaly enough to share with our coworkers and the boss hears on the radio that a guest thought we did a good enough job to get some goodies. Now I will say our resort is all cabins townhomes villas and cottages

I’m not a Disney castmember but I work resort maintenance trust me we love be it when the guest drops off a plate of home made goodies to us. For us it’s normaly left with the front desk and a radio call goes out to who ever they dropped them off for that a guest left them a tray of goodies.
Totally different circumstances but I think I would still go with my previous post.
My policy, and AFAIK, most other CMs policy was to throw away all eatable gifts.

Last edited:
Totally different circumstances but I think I would still go with my previous post.

I agree. There are always exceptions to any rule, but in general, most people aren't going to eat homemade goodies made my someone they don't know.

Shoot, I don't even eat homemade goodies by people I *do* know. My in-laws are a perfect example. They are very wealthy, their house is immaculate, very friendly and chatty to strangers. They would be the person to bring goodies to you. And they are clean, they are nice people, they're wearing designer things. But guess what? The eggs in the cookies that they made expired 3 months ago and the candy was from Halloween 5 years ago.

Eh i make Embroidered Patches for CMs, and special ones for Characters, My wife has a jacket full of Patches i made, We tend to give out Generic ones for good CMs and Characterized ones for the special meet and greets. As this are Unique Designs and patches we tend to see CMS specially the Face Characters light up and pose with patches when recieved. Its just something different and even if they get traded or thrown out, which i doubt these do, then it doesnt matter its just my way of having a personalized thank you for them. I also tend to leave a comment at guest relations as well.

Back in 2013 my wife and I were on our second trip of that year. We always stay at ASMusic. The girls in the gift shop must have remembered us from our annual February trip. We had so much fun together and when they found out that I was celebrating my 60th Birthday they met my wife and I on the pool deck with balloons and gifts. The next morning we went to (at that time) Downstown Disney and had tshirts made up that had the logo for ASMusic Resort and the words "Best Cast Member ever" printed on the front. We gave the girls their shirts that afternoon and the Resort made a big deal over it with pictures and having management come out to congratulate the girls for their wonderful service. The picture you see is of me and the girls. We still stay in contact with my new Disney Family and we look forward to our hugs every year we are back. 54 days and I'm back.

I agree. There are always exceptions to any rule, but in general, most people aren't going to eat homemade goodies made my someone they don't know.

Shoot, I don't even eat homemade goodies by people I *do* know. My in-laws are a perfect example. They are very wealthy, their house is immaculate, very friendly and chatty to strangers. They would be the person to bring goodies to you. And they are clean, they are nice people, they're wearing designer things. But guess what? The eggs in the cookies that they made expired 3 months ago and the candy was from Halloween 5 years ago.

Agreed. I worked with a girl and we became close friends. I was over her house one night and she was baking cookies. Her cat had just used the litter box, then jumped on the kitchen counter. I waited for her to shoo him off, but she just patted him, kissed him, let him sit on the counter licking himself all over (after just going poop), let him stick his nose in the cookie batter. I politely passed on the cookies. When she insisted, I agreed to take some home where I promptly threw them in the trash.

Bring singles. If the CM says they can't accept cash ask 2 or 3 times. Ask if they have a coffee fund. I suspect the gesture is appreciated, probably more then a trinket, even if the CM refuses it.

I realize that I'm sounding like such a downer here, but that would just be one more thing that would end up in the trash. A waste of paper and printing.
@dachsie I totally agree. I feel that its a waste of paper/printing. As someone who doesnt like greeting cards to begin with, i'd probably toss it in the trash. Why would a CM keep it? To show it off to the other CM's? Lol. Its a nice thought and gesture for sure, but a smile and saying thank you goes a long way.

Agreed. I worked with a girl and we became close friends. I was over her house one night and she was baking cookies. Her cat had just used the litter box, then jumped on the kitchen counter. I waited for her to shoo him off, but she just patted him, kissed him, let him sit on the counter licking himself all over (after just going poop), let him stick his nose in the cookie batter. I politely passed on the cookies. When she insisted, I agreed to take some home where I promptly threw them in the trash.
:laughing: That's so gross! :crazy2: And its true, many wouldnt eat goodies from people they do know, let alone from strangers/guests.

@dachsie I totally agree. I feel that its a waste of paper/printing. As someone who doesnt like greeting cards to begin with, i'd probably toss it in the trash. Why would a CM keep it? To show it off to the other CM's? Lol. Its a nice thought and gesture for sure, but a smile and saying thank you goes a long way.
I was just trying to offer her a suggestion that she was looking for. I personally wouldn't do it

I was just trying to offer her a suggestion that she was looking for. I personally wouldn't do it
I hear you. I wasnt trying to come across as rude. Just trying to offer some practical advice. :) Then again what do i know. There actually may be many CM who would appreciate a card like that.

:scared: :sick:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter