Cass, Rob & Kira - Christmas on the Wonder??? Get the fog outta here!

Thankfully this can be done through the app so we didn't have to carry those wave phones around with us :scared:

Really? That's new and awesome!

My 4 year old is so argumentative about everything. I keep hoping I'll get a break for a year or two. o_O

I'm really enjoying your trip report. It makes me want to try sailing out of Galveston.

You see, my kid LOVES to argue with me, so much so that I have told her she should be a lawyer because she likes to argue just for the sake of arguing! :rolleyes:

And, as a lawyer, I'm sure Kira would be an asset to the profession. But unless she loves sitting in an office staring at a computer screen for 12+ hours per day, there are probably more fun ways for her to use her talents. (My son is also a champion at arguing with my husband and I, but I've told him that I hope he comes up with a more creative career choice than I did).

I'm so happy to find your trip report! I have read all of your others (even before Kira!) and I love your details and style of writing. I'm also Canadian (NS) so I love your perspective on things. I'm so glad that you finally boarded...can't wait to read more!

There's a familiar face (name)!!!
:cool1:

I'm glad you found me :hug:

I'm the same way, love reading another Canadian's trippies
canadian-flag-15.gif

Oh my gosh, what a crud start to the cruise! How chaotic!!! And then to top it off you're not feeling well at all :crazy2: Well I hope now that you're on board the Wonder it was smmooooth sailing from hereon in ;-)

Ha, yes! Quite a cruddy way to start but (mostly) smooth sailing from hereon in :sail:

Following along! We have talked about taking a cruise through Galvaston so this has been a treat to read and quite informative thus far! What a doozie of a first day.

We also love the rainforest cafe!

Going on my first cruise in May to Alaska.

I was kinda bummed the cruise was sailing out of Galveston but we really loved it and there's tons of stuff to do around that area :thumbsup2 I would do it again in a heartbeat :lovestruc

You will love the Wonder for Alaska, I'm a little jealous :p

What a tough first day! I think the parking lines would have made me the craziest. I know my 4 year old would have also been bonkers.

So glad you're on board!

Oh I felt terrible for those with little ones! Kira would have been HORRIBLE at the age of 4 stuck in that car for almost 90 minutes!!! :headache:

I tell ya, I have never been happier to FINALLY be on the ship :rolleyes1

What a horrible embarkation day! I am happy that the dancing Christmas tree cheered you up a little!! We had the same package and loved it, too. And the Christmas tree was a daily cause for laughter for us. Yes, we were only two adults, but we let it dance daily!

I had been wondering how DCL was dealing with the delay. Seems like they dealt with it not so brilliantly. Hope thing will improve asap now!

HAHAHA, too funny! I did press it a few times :rolleyes:

It was crap, not gonna lie but I'm not sure what else DCL could have done, other than keep the food areas open the entire time :confused3

I am surprised they didn't offer anyone an OBC or a small discount for the next cruise. :scratchin

Love those decorations!!!
The lights were a fabulous idea!

Not my idea, I had read about it online somewhere but it was a fabulous thing!!! :goodvibes

That little tree is adorable! And I love how you hear the DCL announcement chime in the background! It gave me goosebumps! Sorry you had such a bad embarkation day.

I know, right? LOL I think that's why I ended the video because I knew Darren was about to talk. I think that was the announcement for the safety drill actually :rolleyes:

Following along! We're from Calgary too, and just got off the Wonder in December, I like reading about your experiences with the new terminal. They mirrored ours. I didn't know what to do with the kiosks for all the pictures though.

Thanks for the Galveston updates too, we are planning on another Wonder cruise next year out of the port (most convenient with a 2 and 4 year old, or 3 and 5 next year) and never thought to spend some time in Galveston. This year we were going to try BG and were just too tired after a travel day, so I'm glad we didn't!

Hello my fellow Calgarian :wave2:

The kiosks? Oh for customs? We didn't have to do that since we have Nexus but I have read about that on the YYC FB page!

Yeah, stay away from BG and get yourselves to RFC, your kids will LOVE it!!! :woohoo:

You surprise ticket for her birthday is so cool! I am looking for things to wrap up for christmas 2017 because my kid are getting a disney cruise, definatly saving this idea.

Kira was talking about doing this again next Christmas, she said if we do book it, to give it to her as a surprise for her birthday again :lmao:

Good luck with your surprise :woohoo:

Rob and Kira had excellent spots for the tree lighting!! I'm sorry you had to miss it :(

I am SO excited about Tiana's Place. Parrot Cay was our least fave restaurant on the Wonder and on our first cruise (a 4 night) we had it in rotation twice. So looking forward to this new restaurant in August, it looks fantastic!

I was excited about Tiana's too and I LOVED it and it totally lived up to all of the hype!! Glad you will experience it soon ::yes::

Are the beignets already gone, or is that a different menu?

I asked the same thing LOL! The beignets are the second night in Tiana's :love:

Tiana's looks so yummy!
So glad you finally made it on the ship.
I have had Paige once tell me I was right. hahaha.. Claire right now...I do nothing right at all. EVER!

LOL, story of your life, eh? :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Oh that signature dessert looks divine!!
So is Kira aging out of the lab/club do you think? It's too bad she was bored.

So sweet what she said to you....awwww :stitch2:

It WAS divine and I didn't think I would even like it! :rolleyes1

Nope, she LOVED the club, didn't like the Lab, said it was boring and she loves little kids, taking care of them and helping them. She was just a little tired that night and the activity she wanted was actually in the lab and she never wandered over there :rolleyes:

All these pics are making me wish I had a cruise planned! I love what Kira said...and it's true, you may not here it again for at least 10 years, lol.

Makes me wanna go back! :rotfl2:

Yup, totally! I treasured that little moment and hung onto it so tight :cloud9:

Really? That's new and awesome!

My 4 year old is so argumentative about everything. I keep hoping I'll get a break for a year or two. o_O

Yup, it was handy! We didn't even touch the wave phones! :thumbsup2

HAHAHA! Kira started at two....still waiting for my break :p:rotfl:

I'm really enjoying your trip report. It makes me want to try sailing out of Galveston.

And, as a lawyer, I'm sure Kira would be an asset to the profession. But unless she loves sitting in an office staring at a computer screen for 12+ hours per day, there are probably more fun ways for her to use her talents. (My son is also a champion at arguing with my husband and I, but I've told him that I hope he comes up with a more creative career choice than I did).

LOL, totally true!!! I just want her to put that talent (?) to good use :lmao:

Following along with you. It's been almost a year since our Star Wars day at Sea and I'm jonesing for more Disney Cruise fun! Looking forward to hear about your adventures.

Great news about the beignets!!! I almost passed out! Were they as good as they look?

Day 4 Part 1

My goal on every cruise is to wake up early, watch the sun rise and then enjoy a quiet breakfast alone outside when Cabanas opens. It's one of my favourite parts of a cruise.

Although I had remembered to set my clocks forward an hour, I messed up the sunrise time and was too late by the time I ran upstairs this morning to watch it rise :sad1:

237.jpg

And looking at this pic, I realize that this is as far forward I went on this entire cruise!!!:scared:

Normally I enjoy watching the sunrise and the sail away from the very front of the ship but it just didn't happen this trip! So weird!

I wandered into Cabanas, grabbed some breakfast and headed to "my spot" :-)

238.jpg

239.jpg

I then headed back to the room to wake everyone up.

240.jpg

She was fascinated with just seeing water, nothing else.

241.jpg

Here's a closer look at the USB on the clock, it sure was handy!

242.jpg

I think Kira and Rob went and got some breakfast while I perused the Navigator...

244.jpg

I was NOT happy with the movie times this cruise!

243.jpg

Dr. Strange was only playing on three days and not the best show times and Rogue One was hardly playing at all, also dumb show times! We did manage to see both movies (Rob saw Rogue One twice) but we gave up other good stuff to go see them. :worried:

Also want to mention here that I didn't like the new faucets, or at least the connector that they put in it so that the water came out like this...

245.jpg

It splashed everywhere and was not conducive to brushing my teeth :(

Kira wanted to go check out the clubs for a bit so we dropped her off. Another big line of parents dropping/picking up their kids :scared:

Rob and I went looking in the shops. Gotta say I am getting very disappointed in the merchandise Disney has been offering in the shops the last couple of cruises. They are getting less and less cruise specific, I saw ONE shirt that said Disney Wonder and it wasn't nice looking :sad2:

The rest are all DCL general merch and they even had stuff like this...

246.jpg

Ummm, a Christmas cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston...yeah, I don't think I want this shirt :rolleyes1

They had other stuff that was from the parks and only the above shirt and one other grey shirt that was holiday specific, which was rather disappointing. I think they had one other blue shirt that was Christmassy but it was plain and not very nice, in our opinion.

I wanted something with Wonder on it and a holiday something...mug or something but there really wasn't much available!

I think Kira paged us from the club so down we went, passing this...

247.jpg

248.jpg

Lunch menu for Triton's

249.jpg

Rob and Kira offered to deliver half of our Fish Extender gifts. For the main gift, I designed notebooks and then I added some Canadian chocolates, Xmas kisses and some little light toys for the kids.

259.jpg

All wrapped up...

260.jpg

On her way to/from the pool, they delivered some for me. Rob took some pics of her, it was pretty awesome to see all of the doors decorated! Like I said, I have never seen so many doors decorated, ever!

250.jpg

251.jpg

252.jpg

Rob and Kira really loved this one!

253.jpg

254.jpg

255.jpg

256.jpg

257.jpg

This was good for her because she got to know the ship a little better, understood what Forward, Midship and Aft meant and she just loved doing it :p

I also made up some gifts for our servers and room host that we ended up giving to them the next day, on Christmas.

258.jpg

Okay, well that's all the pics I have edited so far, will try to do some more tomorrow and then post again :upsidedow

Last edited:

Loving your report! That clock is a great addition.

I agree and I posted two pics here because I didn't even notice the USB ports until day two, so letting future cruisers know about it in advance :p :thumbsup2

Fun gifts!...So did Kira do a wardrobe change while delivering? hahaha

LOL, yes! Well the first two were on her way to the pool and then she came back because it was too crowded for her and then got changed and delivered more :goodvibes

Finally caught up reading and now I'm finally able to look at my computer without getting dizzy and falling off my chair!:rolleyes:

Love the pic of Rob and Kira walking back to the car looking for the ipad cover. They look like they’re saluting you. LOL:)

Has Rob ever tried the pecan pancakes at Cracker Barrel? AMAZING!! Do you have CB in Canada?

OMG..I love love love the pic comparison pic of Kira between 2010 and 2016. So sweet. :cloud9:

That pic of Kira “wearing” the tennis shoes at Bubba Gumps was so funny. I saw a similar pic with Bernie wearing those and thought, yikes….that woman has huge feet and then she wears those ugly shoes?? Needless to say, I’ve never seen Forrest Gump, so I didn’t know about the story behind them. LOL!!

The souvenir glasses remind me of the ones on the ship on Pirate Night. Remember those? Oh wait….they weren’t offer to us. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Sorry your embarkation day was a hot mess. The rest of the week will be awesome….I just know it. Lol

That was so sweet of you to give the Check In CM a little Christmas gift. I don’t think I’ve ever seen where someone did that. Ship CM’s, sure, but never that DCL position. Nice!:love:

My goodness, those shirts were soooo cute. Did you get to design it too and just have CP print them?

Those Christmas decorations for your room were beautiful! The ship decorations made me weep like a baby. I lost it during the Tree Lighting ceremony, missing my little kiddos back home. I’ve seen Disney at Christmas before, but the ship decorations were just amazing, right?

I like the safe much better on the Wonder than on other ships. Looks like that was a pull out drawer. Much more convenient.

Nice touch to your FE with those Christmas Lights. Good idea!

Wait wait…you ordered veggies? Where’s Cass and what did you do to her?? LOL. Funny you didn’t like the soup. Was it too salty? You just know it was YOUR fault, right? Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.:stir:

Note to self….be sure to do Tiana’s for lunch. They have meatloaf!!!

Enjoying your report.
Sorry you had the rough start, that had to be a real disappointment for you guys.
I need that clock, what a great idea. I hope they have them on The Magic too.
You had my favorite breakfast item on your plate, those hash browns, I'm drooling. 15 days till I fill my craving!

Day 4 Part 2

Okay, looking at my pics again, Kira did the FE gift delivering later on in the day. The pics I used were from Rob's phone so they were not in MY iPhone folder so I had done them separate and apparently jumped the gun :rolleyes1

What I can say though is that today was a huge FE day. I would say more than half of the gifts were delivered before dinner which is why I asked Rob and Kira to start delivering ours.

I am so glad we did FE this time, Kira had the BEST time getting all her little gifts and delivering them too. I almost didn't do the FE because I was pretty late to the ball and because the last time we did it, it was too much for me. It took up way too much room in our suitcase, there and back and we had 20 rooms to buy/deliver for and it ended up being too much work for me. I actually didn't participate for the FE gifts on our last family cruise in 2013 because of those reasons but we have some amazing friends named Nancy & Chuck, who were on that cruise with us and they delivered some gifts to our door for Kira every single day :love:

Here she is with her two faves...

261.jpg

281.jpg

Better view...

282.jpg

I think I grabbed me some lunch just about then :lovestruc Kira hated that the bun always came apart when they toasted it but it didn't bother me :rolleyes1

262.jpg

Their fries are always so good!!!

After dropping her off at her club, we headed down to Crown & Fin for the Castaway Club reception party. I don't think I've made it to one of those since 2005!

We had a chat with some officers and then Captain Robert talked for a bit.

263.jpg

Rob had to leave early because Kira paged us to be picked up. :(

But I got one of these on the way out for Kira...

264.jpg

Which she devoured immediately! :teeth:

265.jpg

This is when I had a little chat with Kira. I asked her if she would like to have check-in/out privileges for the club. I told her that it would be much faster getting in and out of the clubs for her and she wouldn't have to wait for us to come and get her.

She was STOKED about the whole thing! :p

I asked her if she was comfortable getting to and from the clubs from our room on her own and she said yes. She was very sure of herself and promised me she would be okay. I told her that we would do it together, letting her guide me before I made my final decision. I know most people have no problem letting their kids run around the ship alone, trust me, we saw it ALL week long but my kid is a bit of a chicken and I was just worried about her getting lost :sad1:

At the same time, she enjoys her freedom and I knew she would have a better time if she could do it on her own.

Kira and I headed to the pool, she was desperate to try the slide!

269.jpg

266.jpg

She did it twice, both with about 10-15 minute waits and then she was done waiting in lines...just like her mother :rolleyes:

267.jpg

268.jpg

She wanted to go into the family pool but it was very crowded and she couldn't actually swim, so she got bored fast!

272.jpg

Rob joined us and was hungry so I sent him to the buffet as he enjoys a lot of variety. Told him to meet us out on the pool deck but he didn't think you were allowed to bring the buffet food/plates out of Cabanas.

The line for hot dogs was very long and she didn't want to wait in it so I suggested we go to the buffet but she didn't have her swim cover up on and I didn't want to bring her into Cabanas in a swim suit. I know a lot of people do it but it doesn't make it right :rolleyes2

We waited until Rob was done and then I went into Cabanas to see if I could find something she would like but there wasn't much of her kind of food.

273.jpg

She gobbled up what I brought her and she was full, she did have a rice crispy bar just before swimming, after all :P

I think I mixed this part up too because we swam AFTER shopping. Getting old sucks :cool:

Oh well, who cares :rotfl:

Nancy & Chuck had sent us an on-board credit so we let Kira spend it all :D

Can anyone guess what she got?? :scratchin

Bueller?

One of her purchases is here on the counter...

The lady at the Star Wars shop was awesome and asked Kira for her "signature" :goodvibes

275.jpg

Then we checked out the portholes

276.jpg

277.jpg

Apparently one of these portholes, I think maybe even this particular one broke on our last At Sea day. I don't know the details but I read about it on our FB group page and I had noticed that it was covered up behind curtains that day.

Here she is with one of her purchases...notice the new addition? :rolleyes:

There's actually two new Stitchs in this pic, the smaller one is behind the big one :p

274.jpg

Going back, I asked her to find our stateroom all on her own....which she did, with a small amount of guidance from her momma.

This totally helped! :thumbsup2 :lmao:

278-1.jpg

I made her take me to the club with zero directions from me, and asked her how to get back to our room and she did great so we dropped her off at the Club and gave her check-in/out privileges!

I gotta tell ya, this was NOT something I was prepared for but it ended up being a great thing! I was super nervous at first but after a few times I was happy with my decision.

There were some rules...with great power comes great responsibility ::yes:: :rotfl2:

Rules we gave her:

1-You must ask the CM at check-out to send us a message saying you are checking out.
2- You must go directly back to the room, always!
3- We will head to the room when we see the message, stay in the room until we get there.
4- Do not go on the verandah or leave room.

That was pretty much it, for now :goodvibes

It was quite funny because the messages sent from the YA CM's were sent to both the messages part of the app AND the wave phones but the messages from the wave phones always came through WAY later, so most of the time the wave phone would vibrate/ring after she was already back in the stateroom :rotfl:

She did great honestly, she only broke one rule, one time and that was the last day when she forgot to ask the CM to send us a message but she came back to the room right away and we were there anyway.

As the days passed, we gave her some more independence, which she was THRILLED with and actually helped us all have a better cruise :cool1:

Last edited:
Claire signed herself out for the first time on our NCL Alaskan Cruise and the rule for her too was to go back to the room immediately and she broke it once when we walked back with a friend but didn't realize the friend was at the other end of the ship so then she had to turn around and come back to our room.
She really thought she was so cool!
I didn't know the club could message from the app. My sister carried the stupid wave phone in Oct all around. She hated that phone.

Day 4 Part 3

While Kira was in the Club, Santa paid me a visit and said he was super swamped this Christmas and he needed some help wrapping up our gifts, so of course, I obliged :rolleyes1

279.jpg

Rob went up to deck 9 to grab me a DC and without even asking, he brought this back for me...

280.jpg

:love:

I wish I could marry that man all over again :worship: :p

I loved the buns they used, some type of multigrain bun, which I love because when I do eat bread, it's the 12-grain kind, so this was yummy! Not sure everyone else shares my opinion but I loves it :love:

Right after my second lunch :rolleyes: Kira came back to the room, no problems! We headed down to the Walt Disney Theatre to watch Dale K. It was a good show, Kira laughed quite a bit but then said it was kind of boring :rolleyes2

I headed off to the Art of the Theme Ship Tour while I believe Rob and Kira grabbed their second lunch before Kira returned to the Club for SHIELD top secret stuff ;)

(When you have later dinner, two lunches is a must :teeth: ::yes::)

I always do the tour because no matter how much I know, I always learn new stuff and this was no exception. Definitely do this tour, even if you've done it before :thumbsup2

Back to the room to get showered and dressed, tonight was formal night.

This was the first time I have ever traveled without my own hair dryer. I decided to just use the hotel/ship ones and I gotta say, I want this hair dryer!!! :lovestruc

283.jpg

We watched the sun set from our balcony...

284.jpg

285.jpg

Is it just me or is the sun "liking" my photo

:rotfl2:

286.jpg

We saw Golden Mickeys, always enjoy that one!

We had hoped to get some professional photos done so we headed down to the Atrium early only to find HORDES of people everywhere with the same idea!

Kira and I were soooo not wanting to wait in those lines, they snaked around pillars and down halls, it was madness :scared1:

We just took a few pics on deck 5, not many people there :goodvibes

288.jpg

Notice how she doesn't force the smile when someone else takes the photo?? :rolleyes1

289.jpg

Here's just part of the madness...

290.jpg

291.jpg

Since we had time to kill before dinner and Kira was getting crabbier by the minute, she went to the clubs until 8:15pm, then we met back up at Triton's.

292.jpg

293.jpg

294.jpg

295.jpg

296.jpg

This was waiting for Kira...red tonight!

297.jpg

And Aaron quickly brought this out for Kira...

298.jpg

And these for us...

299.jpg

300.jpg

301.jpg

302.jpg

Kira had ordered some chicken strips but was too impatient to stick around because the Marvel Super Hero Academy thing was starting at 9:15 so she left before it even arrived!

How rude :snooty:

303.jpg

Thankfully Aaron stuck a cover on it and we ended up bringing it back to the room for her to eat later.

I had this, with a side of potato from another dish...

305.jpg

306.jpg

This was the best entree I ate all week :love:

Rob's entree

307.jpg

308.jpg

This was pretty good!

309.jpg

Rob's...

310.jpg

311.jpg

After dinner, this was waiting for us...

312.jpg

There were truffles underneath Mickey...

314.jpg

And this gorgeous lithograph from Ducky Williams, which I totally loved because there's all four ships on it and I have now been on all four ships :goodvibes

315.jpg

Before Kira came back to the room, I moved the towel animal over to her bed. Notice the larger ewok addition :rolleyes2

316.jpg

And here's all of the Christmas stuff happening tomorrow.

317.jpg

I went to see Matt Baker and then Rob and Kira went to midnight mass in the WDT.

318.jpg

And so concludes Christmas Eve, best one in a LONG time :worship:

Last edited:
Still following along. These are great reads during my commute :)

Love all your pictures too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter