Carrying the room card?

QuidditchChick07

Earning My Ears
What is the best way to cart the key card around? On other cruise lines, they'll punch a hole in it for you at guest services and then you can attach it to a lanyard, but would they do that on DCL? How does everyone carrying theirs around?

I always put mine in a pocket, or in a wristlet, since I was always carrying my phone as a camera, and often a legitimate camera too. I had no desire to use a lanyard, because once you're off the ship, you're very easily identified as a tourist, with the lanyard around your neck. I'll be doing the same on the next cruise.

I always put mine in a pocket, or in a wristlet, since I was always carrying my phone as a camera, and often a legitimate camera too. I had no desire to use a lanyard, because once you're off the ship, you're very easily identified as a tourist, with the lanyard around your neck. I'll be doing the same on the next cruise.

It's super simple to put the lanyard in the bag you're probably carrying off the ship into port with you. Just scan off and in the bag it goes.

1st Disney cruise so excuse the newb. Do you need to take the card out of the pouch to use it or is everything touch/RFID? That's my one hesitation with the pouch. I don't want to be fighting to get the card out. On RC and Carnival, they needed access to the magnetic strip for almost everything. At least they did the last time I was on, but it's been a while.

1st Disney cruise so excuse the newb. Do you need to take the card out of the pouch to use it or is everything touch/RFID? That's my one hesitation with the pouch. I don't want to be fighting to get the card out. On RC and Carnival, they needed access to the magnetic strip for almost everything. At least they did the last time I was on, but it's been a while.

Some things are touch/RFID, but not everything. Examples: they need to swipe your card when you order alcohol in the MDRs. They need to swipe at Remy/Palo. They swipe at the concession stands outside the theaters. I think they need to swipe at the muster drill, too?

Seriously, pocket.

Last edited:
For the doors is RFID, however for first time cruisers DCL does NOT provide a lanyard, you must cruise again or purchase one

On Fanstay & Dream, you must also use a card in a slot to turn on the stateroom lights. You may use any card for this purpose, like a loyalty card or something that you can just keep near the card reader for this purpose.

What is the best way to cart the key card around? On other cruise lines, they'll punch a hole in it for you at guest services and then you can attach it to a lanyard, but would they do that on DCL? How does everyone carrying theirs around?
Many of us us lanyards (we get them once we've cruise DCL once). Most lanyards have a pouch on them. Others just use a pocket. DCL typically won't punch a hole in them, due to the chip. There's no way of knowing where the chip is actually located within the card, and they don't want to damage it.

As you've stated it's not your first cruise. I personally take mine around with the lanyard given to me (gold CC). You can by a lanyard at a local store or on the ship. After your first cruise they will give you a lanyard. On th first day I always get asked "where did you get the lanyard?" I carry around past ones from when I was silver and hand those out to people who ask. You might get lucky and find a person like me. It kind of surprises me how Disney won't give out lanyards to first timers, especially with the price of a Disney cruise. Good Luck!

On Fanstay & Dream, you must also use a card in a slot to turn on the stateroom lights. You may use any card for this purpose, like a loyalty card or something that you can just keep near the card reader for this purpose.
A good tip for the Dream/Fantasy just take ANY old expired or used up card like a gift card or similar type and put a stick on magnet on the long end of the card and when you leave the room remove the card from the slot (the room attendants often take any cards left in out and put them down nearby) and just stick it to the wall by the slot so you can use it again when you return. Some have suggested that removing the card from the slot shuts down all electrical in the stateroom, it doesn't affect the climate control in the room that's on a independent system, just the lights.

I have some old gift cards for us that we'll use for the lights that will just stay in the rooms. So I'm not concerned about that part. (Side note...what would happen if you used your KTTW card for the lights and walked out without it? Locked out?).

I also think it's strange first timers don't get a lanyard at the port like returning people do. I get there being different types dependent on your Castaway Club status, but you'd think there'd be one for first timers to DCL. It's Disney, for crying out loud.

I'm more partial to the retractable badge holders that clip to your clothes anyway, which you can get those with pouches too. I'm afraid of putting it in my pocket and losing it because I tend to do that with other stuff, and I don't really want to walk around with a bag either if I don't have to.

I'm a bit surprised the ships haven't adopted the magic bands outside of the kids club, to be honest. But I guess that is what it is.

I do not like to wear a lanyard around my neck, so I put my card in my pocket, or carry a wristlet.

I'm a bit surprised the ships haven't adopted the magic bands outside of the kids club, to be honest. But I guess that is what it is.
The wristbands in Oceaneer's are not Magic Bands. They look like Magic Bands, but have a different purpose. They are only used for checking in and out of the club and tracking kids within the club space.

There has been much discussion about "why no magic bands on DCL". I believe the biggest issue is that often you are required to show your ship's card to access the dock area in foreign ports to get back to the ship. Magic Bands don't have any printed information on them (like KTTW cards). And I doubt that DCL (or any foreign country) is willing to spring for the readers necessary for magic band use (or the training of security personnel worldwide on an ongoing basis).

I believe the biggest issue is that often you are required to show your ship's card to access the dock area in foreign ports to get back to the ship. Magic Bands don't have any printed information on them (like KTTW cards).

Yeah I know the Oceaneer bands are different, but I meant more it's the same idea as the magic bands. Put them on and forget about it kind of thing.

And this is a good point I hadn't thought of. A wristband would be so much more convenient if they could come up with a way to combine the two though.

I bought the kids' lanyards at Gamestop/EBGames. They were cheaper than on the ship. I did get myself one on the ship, though ($16.99 I think, but it had SWDAS on it) and I really liked having it. For port days, however, I had one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/WITZ-Waterpr...UTF8&qid=1490668037&sr=8-1&keywords=witz&th=1

I slipped it in my one piece bathing suit between... well, you know. It worked perfectly. I kept the boys' cards with me, so they didn't need their lanyards in port either.

DH just used his wallet or pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter