Carousel of Progress

tomko

Earning My Ears
:(

Well, the COP is closed again as of August 17,2002. Confirmed by a recent phone call received from Thomas Hobbs at the WDW executive offices today.

Reason being is simply demand and of course budget. The attraction closes at times if they see the demand / attendance is low. This also is so for the "Timekeeper".

Mr. Hobbs was happy to see the support from the public about this classic COP attraction. He assured me the closing is not permenant and they will reopen. He could not give me a time of the reopening. He just stated that it depends on the demand/attendance of the park.

Thank you Mr Hobbs for being so courteous by returning my phone call.

It is very much appreciated by me and also the supporters of www.carouselofprogress.com

I did mention to Mr Hobbs that the traffic on the my site has dramatically increased over the past few months after the 9/11 tragety. Maybe because people are searching for happy times and memories which are portrayed by the music and theme behind such a great Disney Classic as the Carousel of Progress.

Maybe, just maybe, the overwhelming poplularity of the COP at the NY World's Fair in 1964/65 had to do with the Cuban missle crisis and the feared BOMB of that time period.

It will be a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow......very soon as it was in the 60's. Keep the COP open forever!

Thank you

Tom Ortalano
owner of www.carouselofprogress.com

Tom,
My son who is 3 years old knows every word to Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! I wish Disney would realize that while COP is one of the older,(but best) attractions,MK just is not complete without it.

Thanks for the update Tom. I had heard nasty rumors that it had closed for good and I didn't have the heart to tell DBF who went and saw it at the Worlds Fair with his Dad in 65. It's one of the highlights of the MK for him, and me!

Thanks again!

COP was open last week (Aug 7 - 14).

I think they are doing limited hours, but it was open.

I am so surprised to see the COP open after I was told that it will be closed until further notice as per Tom Hobbs at the Magic Kingdom.....

Well, maybe the demand and or attendance is high enough to do so.

I really wish they would post the hours or some kind of schedule on their sight so the public is informed.

Thanks for the input and keep your EARS open.

Maybe it is best to email the Customer relation area and ask them to post their COP hours and days it will be open.

Here is the link to do so. I already have but did not get a response. The more the merrier I say!!!

http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/generic_mail.cgi?template=disneyworld/form.tpl

Don't forget that It's A Small World in Fantasyland was also part of the 1964 New York World's Fair, if it's any consolation ........

Went on COP second week of August, and loved as much as I did as a kid.

Originally posted by 4crusinransiers
Everyone please go to the website and sign the petion!:earseek:
www.carouselofprogress.com

I just signed the petition and I emailed them about not closing the ride and what times they will have it open when I go to WDW in December!

I hope it is open. We are headed down in 2 weeks. It will be my kid's fourth trip and they haven't seen CoP or Timekeeper yet! I haven't seen Timekeeper either.

The first time we took the kids they were 4 & 1-1/2. It was a slow easy going trip and we just did what we could - had a wonderful trip. But we never got to the CoP or Timekeeper. Every trip since then we've wanted to go, but they haven't been operating. We always go in "off season".

I guess this may not be the place to post this, but I am beginning to think park tickets should be discounted in off season. Less and less hours and less and less attractions......

Several sources have now reported that it will be open until August 17 (that's tomorrow)!

It may be open only in busy seasons. I'd bet it opens againn around Thanksgiving.

I just wish Horizons in Epcot FW was still there .... it featured the same family as in COP, but only in the future ....

I will be there in December.. I hope it is open when I am there, always a favorite of ours and I have not been able to see it the last few times we have been at WDW...

Your names and email addresses have been logged successfully from signing the petition.

Our purpose is to collect support for the COP and try to prevent or delay the permanent closure of this Great Classic Disney Attraction.

We do not forward your additional comments to the Disney Company on a regular basis in fear they might have a fit when they see these comments coming from one source!

Although, to relay your comments about the COP on a more immediate basis and possibly effective method, please click the link below to express your opinions directly to WDW Guest Relations.

http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/generic_mail.cgi?template=disneyworld/form.tpl

More importantly, make sure to revisit the COP AGAIN AND AGAIN when at WDW. :smooth:

You must check with Guest Relations for the COP's hours of operation since they have been so erratic. I don't believe the hours are posted on their website. I asked if they would post the hours, but got no response. Same goes for Timekeeper!

Thanks Everyone!

Tom

It's been open most of the summer, but today is the last day officially until the Holidays. Same with Timekeeper. I really like Timekeeper, but on an average day this summer only about 600 people visited (as opposed to about 1500 per hour who visit the Swiss Family Treehouse on an average day)... They'll probably both return around December.

pardon my ignorance, but what is the main reason that they are closing carosel of progress. Is the attendance that low that they don't want to spend money to run it? I wonder how much money they save by not running it.

Safari Steve,

What is the average attandance for the COP during the summer?

Timekeeper is 600? COP is ??

Just wondered.

Thanks

To answer Kaabost:

The temporary closures are based on attendance in the park and / or the actual attendance for the COP according to a spokesperson at WDW.

Discussed permanent closure however, I believe, is just simply due to declining attendance over the many many years it has been in operation. At Disneyland, I feel it was inevitable to close the COP since there is no Epcot. And I believe it's doing fine.

Time for something new?? Not enough BABY BOOMERS out there to support the interest maybe. AND most important, there is no corporate sponser anymore! I always wondered what the cost and maintainance figures are for the COP??? LET"S START A FUND!

To the young crowd, it's a "ho hum" attraction. The educational theme does not seem to interest the younger crowd. Back at the NYWF, the younger people were impressed with the technology of the COP...ahead of it's time!

UTTT OHHHH....I'm giving away my age!!!

OK now you know!....I do have a question for those of THAT AGE GROUP that have attended the NY World's Fair and saw the COP of that time.

For me, it was the impressionable years of age 11-12.

Since GE has been the sponser of the COP at the NYWF and for many years after, has anyone (truthfully) purchased GE home products (washers, dryers, fridge...etc) due to being so impressed with the COP? or am I the only easy sell fool out there?

I can say I definitely have!

NO ...I do not work for GE! But, I was just impressed enough with the COP at the Fair, that I wanted to be a part of that "great big beautiful tomorrow".....years later in my life. So, my first GE purchase was a dishwasher, then washer etc.

Good call GE! Make the same impression on today's younger crowd.

Thanks

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter