Caribbean Beach is a Dump!

I originally booked my reservation for here and knew there was construction, but then after some research and watching the videos decided to change locations. We don't really eat at the food court but I didn't like that it was in a tent if we did want to grab something. Also I know a lot of people could care less about the souvenir shop, but I think that was actually a bigger deal breaker for me. I love going in with my daughter and wandering around after being at the parks. We will look around in the hotel shop sometimes twice a day, my husband always asks me if we think something is going to different than the last time we were in there, lol. But I just like it. So after watching and seeing the food situation and that there were only a few souvenir trucks decided although we could probably handle it and still have a blast, it would be better to change it. I know the OP couldn't do that, but I definitely understand how it could effect a trip.
:earboy2:

By Disney standards it's a dump. If you want to spend your money there be my guest. If you are used to staying at quality Disney properties you'll probably be very disappointed in the accommodations provided. You can watch all the videos you want but until you actually stay there you have no idea what it's really like.

Exactly! I've stayed there many times and enjoyed every visit. Compared to previous visits and other moderate hotels this is a dump.

Just skimming over the responses and the original post, a Disney stay, or any vacation for that matter, is what you make of it. Yes, we choose our resorts due to budgets or preference, but at the same time, you're not completely there for the resort. It's a place to rest yourself til you do whatever the next day. Sure, we all have a resort day here or there if the trip is long enough, but to the OP: You make of it what you make of it.

It was known prior to booking what was going to be going on. It's just one of those things that you take your chances on. Like everyone that travels during hurricane season, it's a chance you take to go, knowing it could be a wash if a hurricane were to impact your plans.

So, basically, this thread is something to use to gauge things but at the same time, I wouldn't dig too far into it, as it is a rant from an unhappy vacation goer.

Would I be rude to ask the room rate? I'm willing to give up things for "a deal," but if the discount doesn't offset the inconveniences....well, I could be irritated like the OP.

I for one would be interested to hear why the OP is calling it a "dump" if there is something more he was unhappy with besides the food and shopping situation.

Was the room in bad shape? How were the pools? Any place to get a drink? Landscaping issues?

OP, there are not enough details IMO.

Last edited:
People seem to think that everyone knew all the details when they booked. That just isn't true. There are plenty of people, probably most people who are not on this site 24/7. When I booked I saw that there was construction, but I never imagined it would be every food place at the whole resort.

But this is what it says right on the website for booking. Tells you all the food locations are closed and what they will have available. You didn't need to be on DISboards at all. And if you called to book the CM should have also let you know the same exact info.

Pardon Our Pixie Dust
In an effort to make future visits even more magical, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is being reimagined!
Please note that noise will be heard while our Resort is undergoing refurbishments, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 AM daily. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause.

Dining & Marketplace Closures

Beginning in May 2017, the following venues will be unavailable due to refurbishment: Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at Old Port Royale, Banana Cabana Pool Bar and Calypso Trading Post.

During this time, there will be a variety of dining options available to you for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Centertown, a dining location, will serve an all‐you‐care‐to‐enjoy buffet for breakfast and dinner. A selection of grab‐and‐go meals will be conveniently available for purchase in 3 new island markets located in the Aruba, Jamaica and Martinique regions of the Resort. Additional à la carte offerings will be available at mobile food vending locations. Our in‐room dining will remain available. Disney dining plans will be accepted. We will make every effort to assist you with your dietary needs.

We are booked to be there in September. My understanding is that the construction doesn't affect the rooms or pool areas. Is this still true? Can anyone who knows the resort or has been there lately recommend the better areas to request? We will be driving, so access to an us stop isn't as important as distance from pool, construction etc. Thanks!

" Breakfast buffet for under $15?! We're going to eat something other than bagels in the room for once!"

On the Dining Plan, Is the breakfast buffet a counter service credit? Or table?

We stayed there in May, 1 night in a Pirate room, and got the gift card. I booked it knowing about the construction and like the Op it was the only thing available for my night.

I have stayed at CBR many times over the years. the Pirate room was cool - my husband really liked the decor and we were in the closest building to the pool by the lake. Walking to the pool was weird, you could see the huge tent and trucks but the rest of the resort looked normal. We did not eat there, did not go to the food rooms, but did enjoy having a coke freestyle machine nearby to use our refillable mugs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but mine is that Disney should close this resort until construction is finished. It just looks bad and isn't high quality like Disney is known for.

:mic: Mike drop...pixiedust:

Nope, not even close. If I post what it sounds like I will get points.

Another poster suggested they should have closed the resort. I would agree too, but as one of the largest resorts, where do you put all of those displaced guests? And many people simply don't care and are not bothered by the construction, and were happy to get the $75 gift cards. I'm sorry, but it doesn't take much imagination to be able to tell if the normal food areas being closed would bother you or not.

I have to say if I stayed there I would be a little disappointed with how they choose to set up food an shopping areas myself. I have stayed at 2 resorts during construction times , POR during the lobby construction and Poly during the quiet pool reconfigure. I don't think I would be very happy dinning out of a food truck either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter