Car rental question

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
DH has been shopping around for car rental prices for our upcoming trip. (We will be flying in to Orlando, driving to a family event for a few days, then back to Orlando for a few days at Disney.) The most convenient option for us seems to be to pick up and drop off the rental car at the airport, but he's seeing differences of a couple hundred dollars compared to off-site rentals.

So, have you rented a car using an off-site pick-up and drop-off? What companies do you like or not like? Did you have to take a cab there, or did they have shuttles from the airport? How long did it take? Was the savings in money worth the loss in time?

We are AAA members, if that factors in, and we do want to keep the car while at WDW.

Thanks in advance!

DH has been shopping around for car rental prices for our upcoming trip. (We will be flying in to Orlando, driving to a family event for a few days, then back to Orlando for a few days at Disney.) The most convenient option for us seems to be to pick up and drop off the rental car at the airport, but he's seeing differences of a couple hundred dollars compared to off-site rentals.

So, have you rented a car using an off-site pick-up and drop-off? What companies do you like or not like? Did you have to take a cab there, or did they have shuttles from the airport? How long did it take? Was the savings in money worth the loss in time?

We are AAA members, if that factors in, and we do want to keep the car while at WDW.

Thanks in advance!

Use Priceline and save a lot of money.

The last time I rented (which was last May) I used offsite and saved big time. I would either take a cab or Uber as shuttles usually don't go to the offsite rental places. I use Budget exclusively.

Airports notoriously tack on a bunch of fees for car rental. Off-site is cheaper, but you have to figure out how to get there. If the rental company runs a shuttle, chances are it won't be considered "off-site" and you'll still have the fees. So you'll have to weigh the extra effort involved to cab or Uber (and I believe at MCO only Uber Black? is allowed to pick-up) and hauling your luggage with you to the rental, versus the savings.

I am not brand-loyal when it comes to car rentals, except for work where I have to use the company-approved vendor. But keep checking prices and special offers. I've found the best come out somewhere around 4-6 weeks prior to when I need the rental. And unless you choose a "pay in advance" rate, you can always cancel or make changes on car rental reservations.

Enjoy your vacation!

We usually use dollar onsite and can usually get good prices. I book it, then keep checking and rebook it when it goes lower. I don't like dealing with shuttles, cabs, or uber if going with kids. Last trip with friends we booked through fox rental and it had a shuttle to/from MCO. It was really cheap and we had no problems at all.

The last time I rented (which was last May) I used offsite and saved big time. I would either take a cab or Uber as shuttles usually don't go to the offsite rental places. I use Budget exclusively.

What? Untrue. I have never used an offsite car rental company which didn't run a free shuttle to their location.

I would grab a reservation somewhere so you have one and then work on making it better. I will often recommend that people taxi/uber to an offsite location during particularly busy times like Christmas/Spring Break. You can really save a bundle *and* drop back off at the airport.

Here is a website that will help you estimate the taxi ride: https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando Be aware that taxis/uber ALSO cost more from the airport. I would consider picking up your taxi/uber at a local airport hotel instead.

I would check 3 prices:

(1) Roundtrip airport
(2) Taxi/uber -> round trip offsite rental -> taxi/uber
(3) Taxi/uber -> offsite rental -> return to airport

What? Untrue. I have never used an offsite car rental company which didn't run a free shuttle to their location.
I think the OP is talking about locations away from the airport ("local locations") v/s airport locations that have shuttles.

I think the OP is talking about locations away from the airport ("local locations") v/s airport locations that have shuttles.

This is the way I understood it, instead of getting the car at the airport they would head into town to get it, perhaps a good distance away.

Try BJ's website too. And mousesavers.com offers lots of coupon codes.
As a pp said, book, then keep rechecking every week or so. Even every few days. It usually drops as it gets closer. That's why I never pre pay.

another place you can look is your credit card company portals. Chase offers some pretty good rental car rates.

Chances are, if the rental company runs a shuttle from the airport the rental will include airport fees and taxes. Some rental agencies appear to be "offsite" because they aren't located directly within the airport terminal, but regulations consider them on-site for taxes and fees. Arriving via taxi or uber, a renter doesn't have to disclose they just arrived from the airport and therefore they avoid those extra costs in the rental expense.

We use Alamo, we usually visit family the first part and end our vacation at WDW. We drop the car off at the Disney Car Care center after checking into our hotel and dropping off luggage. They take you to a park or your resort with their shuttle...takes less than 10 min to drop off the car, we usually have them drop us at one of the parks. We use Magical Express to get back to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter