Can't....Breathe...No Planning?

chesirechik

<font color=blue>Reads AND responds to threads!<br
My co-worker is driving me nuts! He has a conference in Orlando in a few weeks and decided to go down a few days early with his family and go to WDW. So I've been trying to throw out tips and stuff to him. Gave him info for the AAA discount on a resort room, told him about the +/- of Magical Express.

He has no idea which parks to go to, the opening/closing times....anything. I had to spend 10 minutes convincing him that the park with the "Dumbo Ride" was Magic Kindom, not Disney World. He's buying his park passes on ebay!

He's going to make ME have a breakdown.

I know not everyone plans and all that, but I just want to bring in my UG, planning video, copies of my touring plans and park maps and make him sit down and study it!

Some people just don't get it. I still get asked which day we are going to Disneyworld. The whole thing is Disneyworld, there are 4 main parks that we are going to. It's not the same thing.
I can't imagine going to WDW or anywhere, without knowing what I was getting myself into.

In 1998 my Aunt gave me a graduation trip to WDW using her DVC at OKW. I knew nothing about WDW and neither did my DH or our friends (with their DD5 and DD3) that came with us. We had a 2 bedroom with kitchen and living area and tickets to MK, Epcot and MGM .

We would see the boats leaving and thought people must be renting them, not realizing they were Disney Transportation. We left Tower of Terror at MGM and saw huge crowds going into an auditorium, so we went too. We saw Fantasmic - it was fantastic. I also had no idea how many points OkW took (I do now - thanks Aunt A!).

We were clueless, but had the best time ever!

This time (Dec trip) I'm going super prepared. I've been reading the DIS boards for months, I've looked at all the web sites, and I have 3 guide books. I have ADR's for every day and a tour plan for every day. Now I'm starting to worry that I have overprepared.

Anyway, I just wanted to say don't worry too much. I'm pretty sure Disney Magic works whether you are prepared are not. Just tell your co-worker to have a Magical Trip. :wizard:

people like that always get me! I mean would you go to a foriegn country and not plan out what you are going to see? Well, wait. Some people probably do :rolleyes:

Deep cleansing breathes. Maybe you should offer your UG and see what he says...I would bring it in and show him the size. That may scare him into doing some research :rotfl:

I'm sure he will have a blast luvehoney. It's just driving my anal retentive, plan every moment, know every detail possible, self crazy!

Is he going to the same one my DH is going to??? The week-end of the 13th at the BWI??? If so, too bad his extra days are not the week AFTER the conference, he could tag along behind us. We'll be there starting Thursday morning before the conference, but the only thing I'm doing in a park that week-end is the Food and Wine Festival. I figure there's no reason to rush to the parks during Jersey week, when we have the whole next week to do the parks, so I've got "other" fun things to do for the week-end. (spa, princess tea, wilderness preserve, art festival, etc.)

Never did a conference before while we're there, but it's only 3 mornings and will help pay for some of the resort. Every little bit helps!!! Good luck!!!

My first trip was last Thanksgiving. We (my 80 plus year old Mom in a wheelchair and myself) flew in Thanksgiving day (only day for cheap flights at the last minute), and stayed for 3 nights at the Wyndham Palace in DTD for $59 per night. I bought 3 day park hoppers and MVMCP tickets on E-bay, as well as a guidebook which I read on the plane. I made ADR's when we got there, including for CP and we got everything we wanted (beginners luck I guess -- even the CM who made the reservations was surprised when Le Cellier came up on the CP package.) We were totally clueless, but had a great time -- good enough that we're going back for a week and staying on site in December. Hopefully your friend will share the same beginners luck.

My co worker is going Christmas week and has no ADR's or anything planned. I felt like I was going to hyperventilate trying to get her to understand the importance of PLANNING!! She has no clue as to how crazy crowded the parks will be. When I told her all about the new attractions in the different parks she said oh we went to that park last time we don't need to go back (she went 10 years ago). I tried to explain that so much has changed etc.. she said well I guess we will just take it day by day. OUCH! I so want her and her family to have a great experience but I don't think it's possible at this point. I know when she gets home she'll say to me, "I can't beleive you go there every year."

I really understand the AR problem :rotfl: . A good friend of mine is going next Summer and I keep sending her email links and offering lots of information. That reminds me - I need to tell her about the new 180 days for ADRs :rotfl2:

Eeyore, I think it's a different conference. His is at the Hyatt Cypress Grand.

I keep thinking, I should tell him this! And that! Oh and it's super soaps weekend! And on and on.

He is going to think I'm crazy!

Is the F&W festival still going on the weekend of 11/12 & 11/13? I haven't been paying much attention to that since I won't be there (sniff sniff).

Yes, the F&W festival ends that weekend- on Sunday. We'll bne there as well taht week- and ADR's ahve been hard to come by- you may want to mention that as well. I would suggest avoiding MGM on that weekend- F&W fest will be crowded, but not as bad. Also- if he's a 3 Dog Night fan- they'll be performing on Sunday at EPCOT as part of the F&W fest.

chesirechik said:
He's buying his park passes on ebay!

That is the bit I would be most concerned about.

My past visits to WDW were unplanned, but we had a great time (yeah, in the height of summer too!), but you've got to warn him about what can happen if you get your passes off eBay!

I tried VSL, but he didn't want to hear it. He was all "The sellers have good feeback."

I'll have to tell him about the F&W festival and Super Soaps. Looks like there is that Festival of the Master Art thing at DTD also.

Yikes, sounds like it will be crowded while he is there, now that I am thinking about it.

I doubt he'd do ADR's anyway. He has two young kids so I think they are just going to eat on the fly.

I thank GOD for those people!! If it were'nt for them I wouldnt know which park or part of the park to avoid!! Fortunately they are very predictable. ;)

They make trips for us super planners so much better,don't they? And I am sure Disney loves those folks too b/c they probably don't do too much budgeting, etc.

Hey, just roll your eyes and count your blessings that you're not his wife/partner/love interest and don't have to put up with us ignorance. Just think how he gets through life on a daily basis, right?

You just gotta laught about it.

Cheshirechik there's a simple solution - you have to tell him that he needs a personal guide and as you have so much experience you're the perfect person for the job!!!!!

chesirechik said:
I know not everyone plans and all that, but I just want to bring in my UG, planning video, copies of my touring plans and park maps and make him sit down and study it!

OK, I'm putting my stupid suit on.... what's UG?

TheWog, the UG is the Unofficial Guide to WDW. It is a guidebook without the rose colored glasses of Disney.

Ahhh, thank you. I take I should read this guidebook? First trip to the World is next November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter