• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Candlelight Processional and Strike?

DaisyNY

DIS Veteran
Wondering if lack of release of narrators is being effected by Writers Strike? Haven’t seen and narrators posted or dining packages released…anyone with insight???

There are actually two different entertainment strikes. The WGA writers strike is pretty much ended a few days ago. The writers got almost everything they were negotiating for. All that is left is for all the members to vote. Unless some very odd, unforeseen occurrence happens during voting, the deal should get passed. Technically, the writers have already been given the green light to go back to work. Night time talk shows, like Jimmy Kimmel, are resuming Monday night.

There is also the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) strike. It is still ongoing, with no end in sight. There were rumors that the two sides, the studios and the actors, were back at the negotiations table, but SAG sent out a letter 2 days ago saying that is not true. They haven't been in negotiations for weeks now, and anyone stating they are in negotiations is just hearsay.

SAG actors in addition to not working on a SAG project, they are forbidden to even talk about or promote past, present or upcoming work. So Disney can't publish the list of narrators if there are SAG actors as it would be promotion for one of the studios the strike is actually against. I have a thread on the DIS Community Board for the Dancing With the Stars show. Due to the reality-TV nature of the show, it falls under a different TV contract so SAG actors are able to participate. The actor who plays Greg Brady is one of the contestants. Yet, he can't even mention he was on the show, nor his character, or the other co-stars apparently, who were on the show with him.

Academy Award winning actress, Mira Sorvino is also on. They can mention she won the Oscar, but not mention any of her movies. It was so odd watching all that.

Hopefully, all the narrators have been scheduled long before the strike. And hopefully the SAG actors strike will end sometime soon. Then Disney can release the list of all the much loved narrators.

IF the strike is still on-going, the SAG actors would need to be replaced, if this is a SAG job. Then, expect to see an odd assortment of narrators. I have loosely been watching some of the daytime talk shows. Because they can't have actors or SAG performers on, yet still need to book guests, they've instead had an assortment of comedians, authors, (also actors who've recently written a book can be on to talk about their book, but again not any SAG actor work they are known for,) musicians, Broadway actors who are in the Broadway union but not SAG. Now, talk show host Tamron Hall is doing a week long special on un-known fashion designers she loves. When the night time talk shows come back, what odd assortment of guests will they have on? :confused3

I hope the choice of Candlelight Processional narrators doesn't end up moving to that kind of list. :headache:

Last edited:

At this point I wish Disney would release the info about the dining packages even if we don't have the narrators yet. I am already within my 60 day window but is hard to plan when we don't even know which restaurants are participating.

Me too. I'll have to just reserve restaurants I like for now and just roll with it!

Thanks for the replies…yes, having restaurant information would help! My sixty day is tomorrow!

6f13ef94-2da6-4906-b78e-eb9519691c79-jpeg.797959

This brings hope! My son is non-union and they have to follow the same rules if they want to join the Union in the future. So that would include nonunion narrators as well.

Yes, this is a hopeful sign. BTW, someone had mentioned to me that the studios did have to finish negotiations with the writers first. They cannot give something to the writers that they aren't giving to the actors. So, maybe, now that that is squared away, they can get serious about finishing negotiations with SAG and have this done with. 🤞

At this point I wish Disney would release the info about the dining packages even if we don't have the narrators yet. I am already within my 60 day window but is hard to plan when we don't even know which restaurants are participating.
They should certainly be making dining packages available by now. The choirs have been practicing for a while, so Disney is not going to cancel it altogether.

Some people wait to see who the narrator is before booking a package, but others are only at Epcot for one day and simply book it regardless of narrator. If Disney doesn't know if they will have SAG actors or someone else narrating, it shouldn't matter. Open the dining reservations.

Unrelated to the strike, but do you know if you can hear/see the Candlelight Processional without having to sit in the theatre? I’d love to see it but don’t think dh or ds will be interested so am hoping I can amble up and watch from outside without investing time queuing or booking a dining package.

People line up standing outside of the theater. As for hearing, you can hear it anywhere outside at the American Pavilion. I enjoy just listening to it and have done that by the kidcot area, sitting at the big circular planters, enjoying dinner outside of Regal Eagle Smokehouse.
That sounds lovely! Thanks for the info, we may well do exactly that…the boys will be happy with food and I’ll be happy with Christmas music!

Hmm...it would be interesting to see what union the Disney parks would have to follow for Candlelight Processional. While it is true the narrators are all members of SAG, SAG isn't a union represented in the parks (since Hollywood Studios ceased to be a functioning studio.) The performers in the parks are represented by Actors' Equity Association. Now, many people are members of both...but I'm not sure if SAG would be involved in the parks (except if the strike is ongoing...then they couldn't publicize any of the actors' works). And I'm not sure how either of the unions would look at it since the parent company actually contracts with BOTH unions.

New Candlelight Processional Celebrity Narrators to Headline 2023 EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays Beginning Nov. 24

To plan your visit, here’s the full list of this year’s celebrity narrators:

• Chrissy Metz (NEW): Nov. 24-25
  • Luis Fonsi (NEW): Nov. 26-27
  • Ann-Margret (NEW): Nov. 28-29
  • Simu Liu: Nov. 30-Dec. 2
  • John Stamos: Dec. 3-5
  • Neil Patrick Harris: Dec. 6-8
  • Marlee Matlin: Dec. 9-11
  • Brendan Fraser (NEW): Dec. 12-14
  • Eva Longoria (NEW): Dec. 15-16 [AWAITING FINAL]
  • Joey McIntyre (NEW): Dec. 17-18
  • Sterling K. Brown (NEW): Dec. 19-20
  • Jordan Fisher (NEW): Dec. 21-23
  • Steven Curtis Chapman: Dec. 24-26
  • Audra McDonald (NEW): Dec. 27-28
  • Lisa Ling: Dec. 29-30

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter