• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancelling DVC Reservation due to Hurricane

You won't be evacuated from WDW. It will likely be uneventful except possibly a parks closed for an evening, morning, or day. They will have characters possibly out and about in the lobby if that does occur.

Honestly going to WDW during a hurricane is the best thing ever IMO. I feel sorry for everyone who is impacted by a Hurricane but for me being from up north its the best week to be at WDW as people look to avoid it.

Also right now the track has it hitting Tampa which hasn't been hit by a Cat 3 (of 5) or higher hurricane in over 100 years. Florida has only seen landfall (and Orlando is well inland) of 4 hurricanes of Cat 4 or higher in the last 50 years. While a category 5 hurricane isn't something you want to just stroll around outside in its not really going to impact WDW although it would impact the airport as they likely would cancel flights.

The ONLY worry I would have is getting in and out of Orlando. As long as I was not flying between Tuesday and Friday I likely wouldn't worry. If I was then I would be trying to move my flights to get more time at WDW as again WDW is magical IMO during a hurricane timeframe.

Lowest crowds I ever experience was before/after Dorian in 2019.
Right, I realize I won't be evacuated from WDW. I was just saying I have experience with getting points back from a trip impacted by a hurricane. I have two main concerns:
1. Getting into Orlando as we will be driving into Orlando Wednesday morning. I'm not sure I can change our plans to get there earlier. We don't do well driving in monsoon-type rains and wind.

2. Will the rains last after it passes? I don't have a desire to be at the parks if it's raining nonstop.

This was supposed to be a kind of goodbye trip as we will not be back for many years. I'm not sure I want to go if we will have the above issues.

Would be first Cat 3 in over 100 years to hit Tampa.

I would bet against that. Also being so far out I would bet against the model as well.
Indeed, far too early to predict track. The spaghetti models have it heading anywhere from veering west over the Yucatán to heading far enough east to miss Florida & all points in between.
One thing is settled since I posted earlier, TD10 grabbed the name Hermine, so TD9 will likely be Ian.

Please don’t come to SC! The weekend we plan to do MNSSHP is a Teacher’s work day and that is also the first day available for use as a make up due to storms!!

Right, I realize I won't be evacuated from WDW. I was just saying I have experience with getting points back from a trip impacted by a hurricane. I have two main concerns:
1. Getting into Orlando as we will be driving into Orlando Wednesday morning. I'm not sure I can change our plans to get there earlier. We don't do well driving in monsoon-type rains and wind.

2. Will the rains last after it passes? I don't have a desire to be at the parks if it's raining nonstop.

This was supposed to be a kind of goodbye trip as we will not be back for many years. I'm not sure I want to go if we will have the above issues.
Completely understand StarWisher.......If this was a trip of trips I would definitely consider rescheduling and you need to know the rules. Even if it doesn't fall under the hurricane warning caveat you could call and plead your case (a goodbye trip).

It'll probably be Sunday-Monday before they have a better handle on where this storm will go. I do hope you can get it in when you can gain the full experience and enjoy.

Thanks for asking the question as it helped me to know I that I do have options.

So no worries with having to cancel and try to get points out of holding. After stalking the website constantly, I noticed several nights at the Poly (same resort we had booked) pop up this morning for the end of October. I was able to modify my existing reservations easily. I just couldn’t pass up that opportunity! We still have HHI nights booked starting October 2, so we are still monitoring where the hurricane will be headed once it makes landfall, but we are hoping we can keep that reservation!

Last edited:

I just got off the phone with Member Services and until a hurricane warning is issued, it is business as usual according to the CM. Even though we are flexible, I was unable to reschedule because we need an accessible room. We are scheduled to fly in Tuesday. The CM said that I will lose these points (banked with Oct UY) if we cancel without a hurricane warning being issued. Does that sound correct?

I just got off the phone with Member Services and until a hurricane warning is issued, it is business as usual according to the CM. Even though we are flexible, I was unable to reschedule because we need an accessible room. We are scheduled to fly in Tuesday. The CM said that I will lose these points (banked with Oct UY) if we cancel without a hurricane warning being issued. Does that sound correct?
This is correct.
You're traveling at the end of your use year.
You should have better info by Monday. I would check and see if your flight has been cxl'd.
MCO will close due to winds

I am going to say that if those are banked points, that even with a Hurricane warning, those points will be lost, I think the CM gave you a bit of wrong info on that.

Banked points can not be extended.

The only time they made an exception for the banked points was when they actually closed the resorts in 2020. Even then, they simply gave owners some of their own points and not an actual extension.

So, unfortunately I think the CM gave you a bit of wrong info regarding those,

Normally, when a hurricane warning is issued, they put points back without holding and will return borrowed points since you can only do that when making a reservation.

Her info was that I will lose the banked points, which seems to be what you’re saying as well. That’s a bummer.

Her info was that I will lose the banked points, which seems to be what you’re saying as well. That’s a bummer.

I know. Unfortunately it’s tough when traveling so late in a UY on banked points…there really is no way to save them if something happens.

Hopefully, you will be able to go, enjoy, and the rains won’t be too bad!

And of course, I have a BOARDWALK VIEW room for Friday night. Ugh. Glad to hear it looks like I can move around some points. But ugh

I know. Unfortunately it’s tough when traveling so late in a UY on banked points…there really is no way to save them if something happens.

Hopefully, you will be able to go, enjoy, and the rains won’t be too bad!
Reading this as I book banked points for Boardwalk 3 weeks before then expire right in hurricane season next year. At least in September you have some chance of grabbing a 1br in SSR at late notice

Reading this as I book banked points for Boardwalk 3 weeks before then expire right in hurricane season next year. At least in September you have some chance of grabbing a 1br in SSR at late notice

Everyone has their risk tolerance, that’s for sure!

I have three UYs now so I never have to do that!!

Errgh. We were supposed to leave home (Atlanta area) Thursday after work, stay the night in Valdosta, and leave early Friday morning to hit the outlets and Disney Springs before checking in. Looking at the advance forecasts, we’d be arriving in Valdosta possibly in Hurricane conditions.

In order to avoid driving in Tropical Storm or Hurricane conditions, we can either leave 2 days earlier and try to get all the way to Ocala Tuesday night , and then head to Disney Wednesday, or delay our trip by at least a day , if not two.

The entire point of this AP was Epcot’s 40th, and spending all of 10/01 in Epcot. Yes, Disney will probably phone it in like they did on 10/01/21 at Magic Kingdom, but the AP money is already spent, and this is probably our last park trip for a few years. Whines: I don’t wanna give up any park days!!

The x-factor is my spouse’s status call late Wednesday morning 10-12. Need to go look at checkout times at our preferred Ocala hotel. Alternately, does anybody have any recommendations for a quite place on property? I don’t think getting a villa by 10am is at all likely!

Yesterday (Sun 25) I cancelled our GV OKW stay of 26th to 29th. Waited on hold for 27 min and did the cancel, then on hold for another 8 min while the cast member consulted with higher ups to get the OK to put the points back into my account, not into holding.

I called to cancel my 9/28-10/2 reservation. Recording said to beware of long hold times, but the rep picked up about 30 secs later! She did have to put me on hold to get everything done, but came back 20 min later to report that my points were returned without penalty and borrowed points were now "unborrowed."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter