Cancelling cruise within 2 weeks

Candice30

World's Greatest Aunt! -- or so the kids tell me.
Sadly my mom fell a couple of days ago and broke her hip so I had to cancel our cruise in 2 weeks. I have a couple of questions though for anyone else that has cancelled in this time frame with AON insurance and penalties.

1. Disney told me the penalty amount which was roughly 70% and the other 30% they are automatically refunding. Since it is only partial, do you know which payment method this will go back to? I paid over time 3 diff ways so just trying to figure out how to track it.

2. For the AON claim, do I put the 70% penalty amount as the total claim amount?

3. I have the attending medical statement from her doctor but it also says to upload original itinerary. What exactly do they need?

Thanks, Candice.

Itinerary would be an email from Disney, preferably showing the schedule and what you were going to pay. It's probably has a subject line of "Bibbidi, bobbidi, booked!"

Hope your mom heals fast.

Sadly my mom fell a couple of days ago and broke her hip so I had to cancel our cruise in 2 weeks. I have a couple of questions though for anyone else that has cancelled in this time frame with AON insurance and penalties.

1. Disney told me the penalty amount which was roughly 70% and the other 30% they are automatically refunding. Since it is only partial, do you know which payment method this will go back to? I paid over time 3 diff ways so just trying to figure out how to track it.

2. For the AON claim, do I put the 70% penalty amount as the total claim amount?

3. I have the attending medical statement from her doctor but it also says to upload original itinerary. What exactly do they need?

Thanks, Candice.
Typically refunds are applied in reverse order of how the money was paid. So, whatever form of payment you did last would be refunded first. If that payment is less than the amount being refunded, the balance would be applied to the second to last form of payment you used.

First, have you checked the insurance’s website for details on what to submit? If it just said “itinerary,” find one of your cruise documents that shows your

Names / personal info - dates of birth, addresses
Name if ship
Itinerary
Sail dates
Reservation Number

You probably have all this in an email from DCL.

If your policy includes related travel expenses, like airfare, include similar info.

You should be claiming costs that you have lost due to cancelling, so it would be the 70% not refunded by Disney.

I haven’t filed with Aon, but I filed a claim with the previous company DCL used for insurance, The claim amount is the amount you lost, which would be the 70% penalty.

My guess is that the 30% refund with go in reverse order, with the latest pay punt source first, but that is just a guess.

The itinerary would be the statement you received after making your final payment that lists the stops and the cost you paid. Ours arrives from our travel agent, but I would guess you received one from Disney if you booked directly through them. AON needs to see that you were indeed booked on the cruise and that you paid in full.

I hope your mother’s recovery goes well.

I haven’t filed with Aon, but I filed a claim with the previous company DCL used for insurance, The claim amount is the amount you lost, which would be the 70% penalty.

My guess is that the 30% refund with go in reverse order, with the latest pay punt source first, but that is just a guess.

The itinerary would be the statement you received after making your final payment that lists the stops and the cost you paid. Ours arrives from our travel agent, but I would guess you received one from Disney if you booked directly through them. AON needs to see that you were indeed booked on the cruise and that you paid in full.

I hope your mother’s recovery goes well.
Thank you. I do have a receipt from Disney after I paid in full but I ended up tacking on gratuities later and that I isn’t reflected. It was on Disney website but has now disappeared since cancelling

Thank you. I do have a receipt from Disney after I paid in full but I ended up tacking on gratuities later and that I isn’t reflected. It was on Disney website but has now disappeared since cancelling
Gratuities should be refunded to you in full.

A couple of years ago we were in a 50% penalty period when we had to cancel our cruise. Disney refunded 50% back to the card that was originally charged. AON paid the remaining 50% after we filed the claim with them. Since I called AON in advance and made sure that I submitted all necessary documents we received payment from AON quickly. Within a couple of weeks of filing the claim. I would contact AON to make sure you have everything in order when you file your claim with them and avoid any back and forth of missing information that would give AON a reason to deny the claim.

A couple of years ago we were in a 50% penalty period when we had to cancel our cruise. Disney refunded 50% back to the card that was originally charged. AON paid the remaining 50% after we filed the claim with them. Since I called AON in advance and made sure that I submitted all necessary documents we received payment from AON quickly. Within a couple of weeks of filing the claim. I would contact AON to make sure you have everything in order when you file your claim with them and avoid any back and forth of missing information that would give AON a reason to deny the claim.
Thanks

just wanted to add if anyone had this same question, the refund came thru today and a portion went to a gift card I used and a portion to my credit card. i also got a refund of the water package I ordered which I forgot all about and wasn't expecting. now just waiting for AON to approve my claim for the rest. Hotel cancel was no problem but Frontier took all my money as a penalty. oh well; win some lose some.

just wanted to add if anyone had this same question, the refund came thru today and a portion went to a gift card I used and a portion to my credit card. i also got a refund of the water package I ordered which I forgot all about and wasn't expecting. now just waiting for AON to approve my claim for the rest. Hotel cancel was no problem but Frontier took all my money as a penalty. oh well; win some lose some.
I’m glad that DCL and AON are doing right by you but sad/angry that Frontier isn’t! Sorry the insurance you purchased didn’t cover the airfare.

I’m glad that DCL and AON are doing right by you but sad/angry that Frontier isn’t! Sorry the insurance you purchased didn’t cover the airfare.
Thx. Yeah I booked hotel and airfare on my own so I'm not surprised. Frontier always does things like this. It's the gamble I took.

Just a thought but does your CC have any type of travel insurance we had cancel our Hawaii cruise since my mom was placed in hospice care and with all the paper work we turned in we got a full refund from both airlines. We did have to wait a year though cause the airline gave us a credit that expired in a year but once it expired we got the refund. This was before just before Covid so things may have changed

Just a thought but does your CC have any type of travel insurance we had cancel our Hawaii cruise since my mom was placed in hospice care and with all the paper work we turned in we got a full refund from both airlines. We did have to wait a year though cause the airline gave us a credit that expired in a year but once it expired we got the refund. This was before just before Covid so things may have changed
Unfortunately I paid the bulk of it with my debit card and my bank already said that I didn't have any trip cancellation coverage with their debit card. I paid for the seats with a travel credit card so hoping they will allow me to at least file that claim. Thx!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter