• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadian Care Package

I don't think I've ever seen them in Mtl but from the recipe linked above they look like sugar pies
They’re a very different consistency than tarte AU sucre. It’s a runnier filling. But a similar idea. I’d say a closer comparison would be pecan pie. But that’s a thicker filling too. You’re correct, though, that they are very much an Ontario thing. They were “invented” in Ontario. There’s even a “butter tart trail” of various bakeries that’s popped up in the past few years with everyone posting food pics. There’s lots of date about what makes a good butter tart - the pastry or the filling. Or the raisins

obviously maple syrup (can't believe I forgot that), is there any other type of syrup?
A lot of Americans (and a surprising number of Canadians) will have only ever had “table syrup”. They’ll be amazed at the taste of something that’s actually “natural” as opposed to the chemical processed articulated flavour stuff. When I’ve travelled/worked internationally I’ve always taken maple candies. I found you get asked and teased about the syrup a lot and then you have it for them to try and then their minds are blown. So it’s good currency.

Habitant split pea soup would be a good one too - if she likes it. Canadian. Brand and very Canadian soup.

Bottled donair sauce might be funny too if she likes that.

A lot of foods are so regional (just like most things Canada). So I suppose it depends on where she’s from and where you’re travelling from. The, of course, there’s the veggie and fruit and baked goods and regional meat dishes/casseroles and desserts. but you don’t want to deal with border crossing of those.

Pretty much anything Nestle or Cadbury in Terms of candy and chocolate bars would be harder to find down there. Caramilk? That’d be a good one. Aero is another one you can’t find. Gangon (if you’re on or from the east coast) would be non existent. I know a lot of New Brunswickers who even else where in Canada who ask for “chicken bones” be brought (especially around the holidays). Mr big could be a vs O Henry debate (though I think the Americans would win on that one). Big Turk, Cherry Blossom, Crunchie (that’s usually a hit with people who’ve never had it before even if they hate it it’s just so different). Glossetts could be added to the “better then M&Ms” debate. I think “bridge mix” is also a Canadian thing.

Kraft doesn’t sell peanut butter down there is my understanding. So if that’s a staple for her having the Canadian brand/consistency/recipe might be a treat.

A lot of things you can get but they’d use a different formulation due to different rules about food, etc. KD would be on that list. I’ve heard of others but I’m blanking. Oh. You might want to ask about her experience with American jelly vs Canadian jam. She might be craving some Smuckers for her toast. To add to her breakfast, I’m not sure if you can get them Dow there but they are definitely Made in Canada - Shreddies. If she’s a cereal person. And if she’s a tea person - Red Rose. I know people who when they move (even within Canada, I think it might be another east coast thing) miss a Red Rose tea.

With chips, Old a Dutch and Hawkins are brands they can’t get. I’ve heard that Dill Pickle, Ringolos and Hickory Sticks are hard to find in the US too. Any of the weird PC “world of flavours” too. Like poutine or donair, etc.

If you’re looking for a splurge gift, a Roots hoodie or sweats would always be good. Lululemon too.

And if you’re looking for little pins, stickers, flags, etc., your MP and MPP/MLA should like to able to give you a few, if you ask and explain why (cultural ambassador/exchange). Then you’d have Canada and your(/her) province.

Indigo as a box set of “the world needs more Canada”/“read Canada” books on their discount racks now. It’s all Canadian authors and was put out for the 150th. If she’s a reader it might be fun. It looked like they have a “young readers” collection and an adult. I think they are about $15-20 now. They were cheap enough that I stood there for a while thinking about picking some up as Christmas gifts.

Anything with CBC on it might be fun too. They have a lot of branded “retro” clothing/tees. They have the bags, purses, etc at Indigo but they are very expensive as it’s the Red Canoe brand. They have RCMP stuff there too.

A playlist of some Canadian music/bands might be fun for her to share too. Or bi ge worthy tv shows (Orphan Black, Wyonna Earp, Letterkenny, etc)

According to my DSis who lives in Philly now, both all-dressed and ketchup chips are now available in the US, or at least in the northeast (is it regional)?

Kraft doesn’t sell peanut butter down there is my understanding. So if that’s a staple for her having the Canadian brand/consistency/recipe might be a treat.

That's ironic. Skippy is no longer sold in Canada and I don't like Kraft. I keep hitting up people crossing the border to bring me back Skippy! My last jar is empty again.. :sad2:

Word of warning, if you are packing these items in your suitcase chips do NOT travel well. I have had more than one exploded bags of ketchup chips ruin my clothes for a trip and cause day 1 laundry.

As a US citizen with Canadian roots, I want to chime in here. Some of the things I usually stock up on when I visit family in Ontario include:

Kraft Dinner (so much better than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in the States)
Coffee Crisp Bars
Crunchie Bars
Aero Bars
Kraft Peanut Butter
Swiss Chalet Dipping Sauce
Elastoplast Heavy Fabric Bandages
222's (or Life brand from Shoppers Drug Mart)

Hello Canadian dissers!

My sister is on the year long cultural representative program at EPCOT working at Le Cellier and we are going to visit in just over 2 weeks. I'd like to bring her a care package of fun Canadian things she can't get down there and would love some ideas. So far I have:

-poppy's for Remembrance Day.
-ketchup chips
-Dairy milk chocolate
-canister of Timmy's coffee

Love to hear what Canadian products you love!
One of our good friends moved away and always asks for Kraft dinner. Is it different in the US

When I lived in the States I would occasionally get boxes of Shreddies shipped from home since they aren't sold in the US

One of our good friends moved away and always asks for Kraft dinner. Is it different in the US

Yes, it sure is. US Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is almost sweeter than Kraft Dinner.
In fact, I find that many Canadian products are less sweet.

Beaver tails. If she is of age, a bottle of Wayne Gretzky Red Cask Canadian Whisky. If she is not of age, you can give that to me! :D

I saw Lay's ketchup chips in the grocery store here in CT. I don't know if that's just a temporary thing, but it brought back good memories of being in Canada last year during the 150th celebration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter