Can You Pinpoint the Beginning of Your Disney Obsession?

RebeccaB

DIS Veteran
I believe I can....today I found the tickets to our very first Disney on Ice. March 27th, 2004, my daughter was 3 and a half. I distinctly remember turning to my husband and saying "oh man, I'd love to go to Disneyworld!"....

2002-our DD was 4 and it was her first trip. The look on her face when we saw the Castle in the distance and her look of happiness-that did it for us.

My first visit way back at the dawn of DL,viewing the fireworks from gran's backyard and all "E" ticket passes for military families sealed my fate

Had gone twice; once in 1986 and again 1990. Although I loved it and thought it was the best place ever, my obession began in 1997 when we took our son for his 4th birthday and our daughter was just 10 month. We have had a Disney vacation every year since.

Well my first visit to wdw was right after I was adopted, I was about 5 months old.. That obviously wasn't what sealed my Disney fate. We went 2-3 times a year since my grandparents lived relatively near Orlando. Obviously during ,y early teens, I rebelled and we didn't o. But, a trip in 2003 with a friend made me fall in love with wdw all over again! I cried when I saw the contemporary! I just love that beautiful hotel:cloud9: I've gone twice a year ever since that fateful trip :love:

I believe I can....today I found the tickets to our very first Disney on Ice. March 27th, 2004, my daughter was 3 and a half. I distinctly remember turning to my husband and saying "oh man, I'd love to go to Disneyworld!"....

My obsession began the very second I stepped foot on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom when I was 18 years old in 1988:love::love::love:. It was love at first sight for me!!!:love:

Forgot all about Disney until sophomore year of college going with my family ( we went two times when I was younger). I liked it when I went it college but wasn't in love. Then me and my boyfriend went two year after and now have gone back every year since (this year twice). the obsession keeps getting worse.

My parents always put on the Disney records at my bedtime when I was little. We watched the movies and old episodes of MMC. My third trip to Disney World (first two I was too young to remember), I connected all those songs, characters and memories together with the parks. I was sold. Colored Disney Obsessed! :) 24 trips and counting...

Around 1984...I was 3 when my parents told me that they had taken my brothers to WDW when I was one, so they didn't take me. I was heartbroken and OBSESSED with convincing them that I needed to go. lol All throughout my childhood and teen years, I begged to go...I didn't get the chance to go to WDW until 2006 with a good friend. :woohoo: Ever since then, my husband and I go at least once a year!:laughing: However, I still have this desire to go with my parents and brothers...

Disney was all over the place in my childhood and I was a convert from the word go.

1) The first movie I was ever taken to at a theater was "Bedknobs and Broomsticks." Bedknobs & Broomsticks Colorforms were my favorite toy.
2) I had Cinderella wallpaper in my room as a little girl. I went to sleep every night looking at pictures of Cinderella and Prince Charming, castles, glass slippers and the pumpkin carriage.
3) We had a collection of Disney records - songs from the movies - that we played over and over.
4) We watched The Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night after Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

My Great-Aunt and Great-Uncle finally took my brother and I to Disney World in 1976. And as soon as I was old enough and had disposable income of my own, I started taking everyone in my family. Brothers, sister, boyfriend (now DH), daughter. In two weeks I'll be taking my own parents for their very first trip to the World. :love: I just want everyone to love it as much as I do!

<--Whatever it says over there as my join date.

Sometime late 2004 or early 2005 we were in my mom's kitchen and DH uttered the fateful words- "I think we should take the kids to Disney World." We had never taken them on a vacation, and our own previous trips other than our honeymoon were work related. It had never crossed my mind to go to WDW- if I wanted rides there were plenty at Adventureland in Des Moines.

I joined here, read up on things, went in April 2005 (offsite with shuttle, 3 park days), came back and said, "I think we can do it again, better." And so the obsession grew.

Even though I had been to Disney 3 times prior for me it was my Mother's Day 2008 trip with my mom.

My dad had passes away the September before and this was our first (and very sadly our last) vacation just the two of us. I had also surprised my mom with a Mother's Day dinner (on Mother's Day even and gotten after my 180 day mark had well passed) at Le Cellier, which is why this is now a Must Do on every trip.

It was the most relaxed trip I've ever taken to WDW to date, we didn't feel rushed to be anywhere, found some hidden, to us, gems in terms of food.

Sadly my mom also passed away less than a year after this trip but I'm always reminded of her when I'm planing or down there. The fact that my boyfriend has agreed to spend my 30th birthday down there next year will make it feel like I am able to introduce him to her :lovestruc

My Disney obsession did not start with the parks. I can say I was obsessed the first time I saw Dumbo. All the Disney movies spoke to me as a child and understood all their underlying messages. My family is not a Disney family, I remember the first time I saw an add for Disneyland in the newspaper it had a picture of the Dumbo ride and I wanted to go so badly. I begged my parents all through my childhood to go and they never took me. I still have a scrapbook with all the ads I clipped from the newspapers as a child. I even have some in German for EuroDisney (or Disneyland Paris as its called now). I have now successfully coverted my parents into Disney World nuts. My sisters are still holding out though.

I don't have a specific moment. But it happened the first time I was there. My first time to WDW was in 2006 when I went to work there on the international program. Who would've thought that when I went there the first time, I hardly even knew what Disney World was :lmao: I had some sort of idea that it was an amusement park, but that was about it. When I went, I had been depressed for a period, and gone for about 8 or 9 months without a job. So I would say that WDW helped me in more ways than even I could've imagined. Needles to say, I love the place to pieces. I still cry during my favorite part of Illuminations, as that show marked both the beginning and end of my first time there pixiedust:

When I was little all I wanted to do was go to WDW. My cousin's other grandma took her every year and my best friend also went yearly. My family NEVER took vacations (annoyingly frugal) so we never got to go. I kept loving all things Disney but lost interest in pestering my parents to go through middle and high school. My boyfriend's (now husband) family was going and invited me and I thought "Oh cool, WDW, should be fun". I got there and it was almost immediate. I BAWLED at MK rope drop (very embarrassing as DH's family is sooo unsentimental and non-nostalgic, probably thought I was insane) and it was like I was 6 again. When we got married a couple months ago there was NO QUESTION where we were going on our honeymoon! He'll have fun everywhere but I don't like vacations (other than Disney now!)

I'm now making my mom go with me next year! DH is saving for a ski trip to Alaska so we both can't go and my mom's never been to either Disney park despite being a big Disney fan with me. And I also have my 4th planned with my SIL for the fall after I go with my mom :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter