Can you carry-on a GF Gingerbread House on the plane?

We carried an entire wedding cake on the plane (in route to the wedding)... I can't imagine why they would not let you bring a gingerbread house.

The box they pack it in is pretty big. It won't fit under the seat in front of you, but it might fit in the overhead. As long as it fits in the space they have at the check in counter to see if your carry on fits. Get the dimensions of what they allow as carryon and see if the box will fit.

I am wondering if anyone has been this year and brought one home? I would really like to know if I could do this. I don't want to buy one and have to throw it away! Thanks for any help.

Why not have Disney sent it home by UPS? We send just about every purchase home that way. For us it's a lot less problems.

Why not have Disney sent it home by UPS? We send just about every purchase home that way. For us it's a lot less problems.

I believe that on the Food Network special that aired last night, they said the Gingerbread houses were not suitable for shipping.

I thought about that, but our boxes from UPS look like they were kicked here from where ever they were shipped from. I mentioned that to our UPS driver and he smiled and told me I should pack things well. :)

Disney will not ship food items, including the gingerbread houses. They will pack them up to be carried home, though.

We sometimes take a bunch of stuff over to BW and ship it ourselves, but I don't know if they would accept a house, since they really are not packed to withstand shipping.

I run a Fed Ex/ UPS shipping store. Do NOT try shipping something like that through the mail. We actually advise not shipping fragile cookies even in a tin with packing materials. No matter how you pack it, it's not going to stay together.

Our running joke (which I share with my customers) is that a fragile tag = extra rough handling.

HIghly not recommended.

It is likely to be crushed by someone else cramming in his baggage.

Very true. I had a guy with an over stuffed, oversized rollon trying to cram it into the bin with my small tote bag getting smashed into the back of the bin behind it last week. I finally asked him if he was blind, because it was obvious his bag wasn't going to fit, no matter how much brute force he put into it, and told him that had he been polite about it, I would have gladly moved my tote to make a little extra room for him. He ended up having to gate check his bag, I don't know why they allowed it into the cabin to begin with. Then he argued with the FA about stowing his laptop during takeoff. Jerk.

Thanks for all your advice. I wonder if I should chance it. Our flight home is Sunday the 23rd at 9 pm. I wonder if we'll get lucky and the flight will not be full?

Thanks for all your advice. I wonder if I should chance it. Our flight home is Sunday the 23rd at 9 pm. I wonder if we'll get lucky and the flight will not be full?

Highly doubtful. DH sometimes takes the late Sunday flight north, and it's almost always jam packed. Lots of people live here and work up in New England and NYC/NJ/Philly and commute back and forth (my DH is one of them). They like to take that late flight to have as much time with their families as they can. DH has actualy begun taking the Monday 6:15 am flight more often because it's usually less crowded with less crying kids and he gets to work by 9:30.

Thanks, ducklite. That real world experience of your husband flying on Sun nite is just what I needed to hear.
BTW, we all love Mama Melrose too and we're eating there next weekend!!

I just returned yesterday, with gingerbread house in tow. I got it into my Disney Cruise tote carryon. It fit just fine. I was able to put it under my seat, but I flew home on Delta and there were only two seats on my side, so the underseat area was a bit larger than usual. You can put them in the overhead...I've done it with good results. Just be sure to have it on the end with something else wedged in front of it...won't be as apt to have someone come along and smoosh it.
My house was a smallish one, so that may have made a difference. It cost about $35-40.

Wow, goofyfortink! You made my day!! Aren't you glad you weren't coming home today with the weather! Hope you had a good trip! I will get the smaller one and take my chances!

However, that's not the one that they usually sell at the GF. Those run about $65 each, so they would be bigger. If you can get a smaller one, you might be lucky like goofy4tink.

I say yes, there are special rules that allow people with food allergies to bring their foods on planes. Check with the airline for rules about how big of carry ons and how food needs to be packaged.

Yes, my house was indeed a smaller one. Bought it at BC gift shop. I don't think the airlines really care about what food you bring onboard with you. As long as it isn't a gel like substance or a liquid...jelly, peanut butter, mayo, etc.
I've brought a birthday cake home with me, and it was huge. As long as it fits in your carryon, you are good to go.
teentodldermom...yes, I was very glad I came home when I did. I was supposed to fly home on that Thursday, but changed my plans to the next Sunday. I was going to drive over to Tampa and visit my ds, but had to change those plans and fly home on the preceeding Wednesday, the 12th. Darn good thing...man, both days I was supposed to fly home we had snowstorms here. My weather angel was at work for me then!! Here's hoping that same angel is hard at work on Jan12 and Jan 20....I fly out and then home again.

I really want to buy one and bring it home, but will they let me carry it on the plane??:idea:

Only if it is big enough to feed the entire plane. :rotfl:

Seriously, there isn't a problem with this as long as its not a liquid or a gel and that it will fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter