• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you 'break' MagicBand?

SugarSweetLee

Mouseketeer
Since I don't really have a full grasp of how the RFID works, and because I tend to worry about everything, is there anything I might be at risk of accidentally doing that would cause my MagicBand to deactivate and as a result be unable to access my MDE data? Thinking along the lines of airport scanners, magnets, etc...

I have not read or heard personally of anyone breaking their Magic Band. And we have had friends and family wear them to the airport and through security with no issues. Unless you were to open it up and remove the transmitter, I don't think you can really break it yourself.

No warnings come with them about that kind of stuff. I'd be surprised if you could damage them with normal wear. We wore ours 24 hours a day for 11 days.

You can't really "break" them, but they can stop working for no apparent reason. It's likely not your fault. DD's MB stopped working part way into our trip. It worked fine in the morning and then when we went back to the resort, she couldn't charge something at the Boardwalk Bakery. Mine worked. Then, we went to our room and her MB wouldn't open the room door. We went to the front desk and they replaced her band. (They actually had a pink MB behind the desk with which to replace her pink band -- we thought she'd get a gray band.)

Not your original question, but . . .

You really can't break a MB in normal day-to-day usage. Even doing such things as swimming with it won't damage it. You can intentionally disable it by crushing it (accidentally stepping on it won'd do it) or sawing it in half.

These things are pretty rugged.

My son broke one of the little nubbies on his band. He took his off/on throughout our stay. I went to the front desk and they replaced it.

Y You can intentionally disable it by crushing it (accidentally stepping on it won'd do it) or sawing it in half.

Nosy person that I am, I'm wondering how you happen to have this knowledge.

(Is there a smilie with a chain saw which I can insert here?)

well its certainly possible cuz somehow my sister deactivated hers in july lol.
we were at epcot and had just used our MB for our maelstrom FP and then she went to purchase a poncho and it would not work.
we went to guest relations and indeed there was nothing on the MB anymore.
the CM was shocked and said she had not seen this happen as of yet.
she just grabbed a new MB for my sister and relinked it and it worked fine.

you shouldn't have anything to worry about at the airport though.
last december we flew and nothing happened to our MB's.

My company works with a lot of RFID technology. Have you ever checked out a library book and just had to scan it and your library card and then you were through? All via RFID technology. We have library books all over the world with RFID chips in them and my husband's company is now putting them into hospital sheets and blankets which get laundered many times daily.

Nothing to worry about.

My grand daughters MB broke the first time she used it. The snaps broke off so she carried it around. We had an extra so she just used that one even though it was grey and not a pretty color (her words)

Nosy person that I am, I'm wondering how you happen to have this knowledge.

(Is there a smilie with a chain saw which I can insert here?)

I have a friend who has disassembled a MB just to see what it contained. Think exact-o-knife rather than chain saw. :)

Would heat be an issue for them? I have no clue how they work either. I've had a set bouncing around in the trunk of my car for a few weeks and started wondering about this today.

Would heat be an issue for them? I have no clue how they work either. I've had a set bouncing around in the trunk of my car for a few weeks and started wondering about this today.

I don't believe it will be an issue.

We went to the front desk and they replaced her band. (They actually had a pink MB behind the desk with which to replace her pink band -- we thought she'd get a gray band.)

Not your original question, but . . .

Interesting! Do you know if this is normal? I've always heard that the ones they replace at the desks are all grey. I've been sad thinking about what would happen if my band didn't work and I had to use a grey one. I'm planning on decorating mine and didn't want to break it and need a "boring" one. :confused3

Interesting! Do you know if this is normal? I've always heard that the ones they replace at the desks are all grey. I've been sad thinking about what would happen if my band didn't work and I had to use a grey one. I'm planning on decorating mine and didn't want to break it and need a "boring" one. :confused3

I don't know if that was standard operating practice or not. The CM at the BW was really helpful. I'm not sure if they have a stash of replacement bands in assorted colors. It seems like now, with the bands being sold to off-site guests, they would have a better stash than they did when the MBs were first introduced. This was in July of this year. When we were there last December and again in March, there seemed to be a lot more gray bands than there were in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter