Can we talk about how Difficult Disney Vacations are becoming

It can, and always has been, as easy or as hard as you want to make it.

We drive so the lack of disney airport transport doesn't effect us but we probably wouldn't have used it if we did fly. I'm a car service type person.

We never booked our ADRs in advance, always booked day of while walking around in the parks. I was there in April and had no problem still doing this.

We never booked FPs in advance, rarely booked them at all. I might hop on MDE while on the bus on the way to a park and see what's available. If something we wanted to ride was available say 45 min. from when we thought we would get to the park, I'd book it. We have been going since well before there was FP so waiting in line is just what we did. We really don't mind it, gives us a chance to talk to each other (gasp).

We are park hoppers, since we didn't book FPs or ADRs, winging it was (and still is) easy. Park too busy, hop on over to another one. Find an ADR in another park, hop over. The 2:00 restriction is a bit of a bummer but I hopped to 3 parks in one day while there in April and did one of them twice. I use only Disney transportation or my feet.

I don't plan on changing any of that with Genie. I might use the free app to look for places to eat. We never looked at wait times, if you go often enough, you get a feel for how fast a line is moving just by looking at it. We also don't try to ride as many rides as we can in a day, that just doesn't sound like fun to me. We like rides but if we only ride 3 or 4, we are fine. I'm about 80% sure we will never buy the Genie + and about 95% sure we won't buy the more expensive one.

I don’t find planning a Disney vacation any different than any other vacation. It comes down to how much the individual person want to know before they go.

I agree that WDW vacations are a lot of work and now with Genie + and surge pricing for top tier rides, we’re done. We have a trip booked/paid for in December, but after that if will be a very long time before we return, if ever. I feel like I’m probably Disney’s target consumer—we stay 12-14 days at the Boardwalk, dine at many signature restaurants, and can afford all their up charges. But it’s just become too much. Being glued to my phone while on vacation is not relaxing, and yes we do not have to use Genie+, but then it means we’re paying for the privilege of just wandering through the parks. I know there will be another consumer to take my place, so more power to them.

I'm feeling the same as many - I guess my reaction to the Genie and "new" DAS announcements surprised me...I'm just done?

We are repeat out of state Annual Passholders; who had a disabilty diagnosis for one family member since we purchased our passes. We used to LOVE planning our Disney vacations, and pre-Covid, would come at least four times a year.

Now, I just can't wait for our passes to expire. With the Genie addition and changes to DAS - it's too much to read, learn, and figure out. We have 7 months left on our passes, and normally would be looking at one long trip and a few weekends...now I'm thinking a week-ish trip next February/March to finish out our passes so I don't "lose" money...and I dread the though of it.

I'm usually a pretty upbeat person, especially when it somes to Disney, so I was surprised at my reaction. We are not Deluxe Resort folks; my kids LOVE Pop Century better than any other resort - Skyliner and great memories, plus it just feels like home. So, with no Disney Transport (which I loved), no evening Magic Hours, no FastPass, minimal discounts, no Dining Plan/Free Dining, no DAS as we knew it...blech.

It just feels like work; losing things we loved...but paying higher prices to get less.

I agree that WDW vacations are a lot of work and now with Genie + and surge pricing for top tier rides, we’re done. We have a trip booked/paid for in December, but after that if will be a very long time before we return, if ever. I feel like I’m probably Disney’s target consumer—we stay 12-14 days at the Boardwalk, dine at many signature restaurants, and can afford all their up charges. But it’s just become too much. Being glued to my phone while on vacation is not relaxing, and yes we do not have to use Genie+, but then it means we’re paying for the privilege of just wandering through the parks. I know there will be another consumer to take my place, so more power to them.
I think the lesson here is that there's always a choice! We can choose to make it as stressful as we want, or avoid it completely!

I'm feeling the same as many - I guess my reaction to the Genie and "new" DAS announcements surprised me...I'm just done?
From what I understand DAS can still be used in the same exact way it had been used.

They added a bonus feature to the system without taking the old away. If you're willing to do a video chat to get DAS access 2-30 days before arrival (or park day) you will also get the bonus of booking 2 rides per park/day two days in advance.

From what I understand DAS can still be used in the same exact way it had been used.

They added a bonus feature to the system without taking the old away. If you're willing to do a video chat to get DAS access 2-30 days before arrival (or park day) you will also get the bonus of booking 2 rides per park/day two days in advance.
AND, you can get your return time via the app now instead of having to walk to the attraction or a kiosk. As the designated return-time-getter, I won't miss that fast-walk/almost-running trek from the Land pavilion to Norway for a Frozen return time while the others wait for me.

RANT WARNING: We are scheduled to go to WDW in November. We have been many, many times over the years, including twice since Covid. We are normally FL Resident Passholders. We usually go for 5 nights, 2 to 3 times a year and stay on property. With COVID added into the mix, it is just becoming too much. Masks on, masks off. I believe I am fairly tech savy. I try to keep up. All I want to do on our upcoming trip is ride Ratatouille/REMY what ever it is being called now. Now I see that Ratatouille is going to be a virtual queue, which I am not accustomed to, so I had to look that up. Add to the mix, Genie or Genie+ and it’s just getting to be too much. I watched both videos, still lots of questions. I don’t want to have to plan my day every morning of my vacation at 7am every morning.

RANT WARNING: We are scheduled to go to WDW in November. We have been many, many times over the years, including twice since Covid. We are normally FL Resident Passholders. We usually go for 5 nights, 2 to 3 times a year and stay on property. With COVID added into the mix, it is just becoming too much. Masks on, masks off. I believe I am fairly tech savy. I try to keep up. All I want to do on our upcoming trip is ride Ratatouille/REMY what ever it is being called now. Now I see that Ratatouille is going to be a virtual queue, which I am not accustomed to, so I had to look that up. Add to the mix, Genie or Genie+ and it’s just getting to be too much. I watched both videos, still lots of questions. I don’t want to have to plan my day every morning of my vacation at 7am every morning.
Gonna go out on a limb and guess that you'll still be there as planned, armed with all you need to know in order to join the virtual queue and enjoy the attraction. :)

$25 Extra to go on 1 popular ride for 1 person? Sorry, if you are ignorant enough to pay that to go on a 2 minute ride, it's on you! Disney charges these ludicrous amounts because people will pay it! Disney now compared to even 5 years ago, is night and day! Disney nickel and dimes you for Everything! Not even an enjoyable vacation anymore! Find other places around the country to vacation at, there are many!

We are repeat out of state Annual Passholders; who had a disabilty diagnosis for one family member since we purchased our passes. We used to LOVE planning our Disney vacations, and pre-Covid, would come at least four times a year.

Now, I just can't wait for our passes to expire. With the Genie addition and changes to DAS - it's too much to read, learn, and figure out. We have 7 months left on our passes, and normally would be looking at one long trip and a few weekends...now I'm thinking a week-ish trip next February/March to finish out our passes so I don't "lose" money...and I dread the though of it.

I'm usually a pretty upbeat person, especially when it somes to Disney, so I was surprised at my reaction. We are not Deluxe Resort folks; my kids LOVE Pop Century better than any other resort - Skyliner and great memories, plus it just feels like home. So, with no Disney Transport (which I loved), no evening Magic Hours, no FastPass, minimal discounts, no Dining Plan/Free Dining, no DAS as we knew it...blech.

It just feels like work; losing things we loved...but paying higher prices to get less.

I don't blame you. We went often for over 15 years when my children were younger, once or twice a year. We loved our disney vacations and stayed deluxe for 10-14 days every time we went. A few years ago we started taking other trips around the country, which we loved but did miss disney in the beginning. We were going to go back for a 10 day stay at the GF, which is our favorite resort but in 5 years the price has doubled and there is so much added fees and too many hassles are associated with the vacation. For now, we will continue to do beach vacations, which include the boardwalk and no one even brings up disney anymore. It's a shame but disney has changed way too much.

We have been blessed with the ability to go to WDW multiple times a year for the past 12 years. We love WDW and some of our fondest memories come from this wonderful place. We recently went down to WDW with 5 families, stayed at the Beach Club for 10 days with everyone on a 7 day park hopper. 24 people! 24 friends! It was great.
However as a self proclaimed WDW expert and travel nerd, my wife and I noticed a lot of "difficulty's"
The now longer lines at DME!
The eventual hammer to drop of having the MDE go away and Mears taking over and charging whatever they want (another added expense), how much will this bus ride cost for a family of four in a year?
The park reservation system, although not all that hard to understand and do, just kind of odd they still have this.
No fast-passes and now the new Genie + option. Another added $60 to your park admission to just ride a couple of rides a day, I can see unlimited as long as you ride the rides and would be eligible to add another ride. But correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you only get 2?
The mobile ordering of food is good and was able to get a table in the restaurants we went to for lunch, but we had to choose our lunches at 9am!. What if I don't want the Burrito Bowl for lunch!
The difficulty finding dining reservations, I feel like the current WDW climate shows that everyone is having difficulty finding a decent reservation.
Will these prices ever go down? I hope soo, but with Bob Chepek CEO at the helm I worry about the near future for all of us WDW mega fans.
Like so many other people, my husband and I have a special connection to Disney World. It was our first vacation together when we started dating and where we spent our honeymoon last year.
With prices rising to ridiculous highs we have accepted that we will not get to go again for years. We both work full time and have no children yet, but still fall severely short on the money needed for a Disney trip. I feel for the families with children that can't afford it either.
Other than being priced out, the crowds have been out of control. Even with the reduced compacity due to the pandemic, we found ourselves waiting in long lines at attractions and felt it difficult to distance from others.
Plus, with the new Genie+ system, riding certain attractions may be impossible if they are popular; for those like us that can't pay extra, we will probably have to wait in extra long standby lines.
So for now, I'm sad to say, Disney will no longer be an option for us, and many others. Maybe in a few decades things will change and Disney will open up availiablity to more than the rich families.

I don't blame you. We went often for over 15 years when my children were younger, once or twice a year. We loved our disney vacations and stayed deluxe for 10-14 days every time we went. A few years ago we started taking other trips around the country, which we loved but did miss disney in the beginning. We were going to go back for a 10 day stay at the GF, which is our favorite resort but in 5 years the price has doubled and there is so much added fees and too many hassles are associated with the vacation. For now, we will continue to do beach vacations, which include the boardwalk and no one even brings up disney anymore. It's a shame but disney has changed way too much.

Ever since my daughter was old enough to plan, we've had a "system" that works for us at each park - arrival, rides, food, breaks - that allow for our family's interests, needs, food allergies, and (now) disability. It works wonderfully for us. We don't need to have our phones out (which I HATE!) as we walk around - and it gives Disney a sense of "home" for us.

I get that this new system will work better for folks who don't know how to navigate Disney - but we do, and this will lessen our experience. I wish I could ask for a refund for the 7 months we have left on our Annual Passes. No interest in any of this.

Ever since my daughter was old enough to plan, we've had a "system" that works for us at each park - arrival, rides, food, breaks - that allow for our family's interests, needs, food allergies, and (now) disability. It works wonderfully for us. We don't need to have our phones out (which I HATE!) as we walk around - and it gives Disney a sense of "home" for us.

I get that this new system will work better for folks who don't know how to navigate Disney - but we do, and this will lessen our experience. I wish I could ask for a refund for the 7 months we have left on our Annual Passes. No interest in any of this.

I feel bad for you because these vacations are thousands of dollars and it's tough to spend that much money and not feel like it was a great, relaxing vacation, which it isn't anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter