can we take our 12 year old into WDW bars?

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
ok, that title sounds like we are horrible parents!!! but seriously, not sure if La Cava del Tequila and Trader Sam's Grotto qualify as strictly bars (and therefore children would not be permitted) or since they serve some food, if it is acceptable to bring a minor in. we aren't looking to pound back a bunch of drinks with our kid in tow, but want to see what both are about, relax, have an appetizer and a drink. (A drink, not a few drinks)

Pretty sure Trader SAMs is adults only after a certain time in the evening but allows kids before then.

from 4:00-8:00 you can bring minors into Trader Sam's. I make sure to go every trip, but they're really strict on kicking us kids out by 8:00. There's always other families with kids in there when we go, so don't worry about people looking at you funny or anything. And the servers are really interactive with me too, even if I'm only ever ordering the fruit punch or a cherry coke or something.

Yes you can, but since you specifically mentioned Trader Sam's you do need to note what the above posters have already stated and be aware that everybody under age 21 has to leave Sam's at 8 PM on the dot, no lingering.

we aren't looking to pound back a bunch of drinks with our kid in tow
Same here. But I've been looking forward to trying a margarita from La Cava for months, so we will be taking our 8-year-old in with us.

We take our "tweens" into bars as long as they are not prohibited, but we don't allow them to sit at an actual bar (like bellied up on a barstool.) Drives me insane to see kids taking up barstools.

No problem at all with Trader Sams betw 4pm-8pm. I usually get there at opening and there are always a few kids with their parents. The kids love the drink effects & nothing too adult for youngsters at that time of day. With La Cava, it is so small & has such limited seating, it will be difficult to get a seat in the bar in any event. You may be lucky & find a spot at an off time. However, I have always had to get my margarita at the bar & then was pushed out into the Mexican Pavilion. ps the Avocado Margaritas are great & if not on the menu, if you ask politely, they will likely still make one for you! :-)

Yes, that kind of bar
mickeybar.jpg

We take our "tweens" into bars as long as they are not prohibited, but we don't allow them to sit at an actual bar (like bellied up on a barstool.) Drives me insane to see kids taking up barstools.

FWIW that's also a state law thing. In FL it is allowed. In other states it isn't necessarily. It isn't in my part of WA, that's for sure.

Minors are allowed to sit AT the bars in Florida (and at WDW)--we see it all the time.

Being from Minnesota, I wouldn't look twice at a kid in a bar. You see them everywhere - bellied up, hanging out with parents in local dives, etc. I grew up summering in Wisconsin and it was the same.

I think you will be fine :)

When we were at Raglan Road with our 19 year old, she was told she could not sit at the bar (stand, but not sit)

Find that somewhat unusual--it's one of the spots we've seen small children at the bar. One time a family had seated a young girl at the bar--when the dancers started they placed her on the floor and shoved her out on the floor to dance along--the kid had to be 7 or 8, tops. They kept it up for 3 or 4 "sets" of dancing----

Out last meal at Flying Fish there was a family with 2 young kids at the bar, waiting for a table.

Kids can go into La Cava - I've taken my son before. He enjoys their chips and salsa while mommy enjoys her margarita. Sitting is limited so be sure to get there early. One year during Food & Wine they were taking names and we got in in less than 10 minutes.

Same here. But I've been looking forward to trying a margarita from La Cava for months, so we will be taking our 8-year-old in with us.

La Cava can get crowded. You can always buy the margaritas there and then walk around with them. I've done that before. It's in the Mexico pavilion and it's fun to drink and shop.

Yep I've been to both with my 2 DD's. Trader Sam's I wore my then-2 month old in a wrap while enjoying their tasty creations :-D older dd (just turned 4) sat at TS's bar and enjoyed the antics. La Cava same thing, although it was packed on our last visit so we just ordered drinks to go. We have sat inside though and ordered their appetizer dip trio as our lunch.

Yep! Took #3 to La Cava as a baby and Jock's in Disney Springs when he was a toddler. And the other day we took baby #4 to Trader Sam's, but we sat outside. Last time I was at Trader Sam's inside, a little kid was completely terrified by the Uh Oa presentation and started screaming. He cried for a while, but his parents stayed. It was...interesting, especially since we were right next to them. And my friend was planning on ordering an Uh Oa. It's loud and very busy in there, so I wouldn't take my littles. But definitely a bigger kid (like 7 or 8 and up). My babies have been in bars all around WDW, although I don't actually drink much. It's kind of a joke for us now, as in Sweet Home Alabama. "You have a baby! In a bar!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter